News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 07-21-14, 11:39 PM
Spursin6's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 225
Shawn Marion

From rotoworld

The Hornets are not pursuing Shawn Marion.

The Mavericks are very unlikely to bring him back, so it's anyone's guess where he will wind up. Marion has hinted that he'd like to join a contender and now that it's already July 21 and he's without a team, money may be a lower priority.

Does Marion have anything left in the tank? He's got good size for a SF/Stretch 4. He played solid minutes for the Mavs last year. I'll admit though he didn't do much in the playoffs, so not sure how others feel about him.

We need a back up SF. I don't like the idea of Manu/Marco being our only back up SFs. And no, I'm not sold on Daye.
__________________
Every second is a chance to turn it all around
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-14, 01:10 AM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,061

I don't know about anybody else but I'd hold the door open for him for the vet minimum or maybe a portion of the MLE. He has proven, for his age, he still has something left in the tank, he's a good defender and can get after it when needed. I don't know if Chip Engelland can help him with his shot but offense in his case is not a high demand, but he can still score. I'd take him in a heart beat because there aren't many free agents left who seem to want to come to SA and Marion knows our story and we seem to be a contender. And he's a veteran with plenty of experience, and Pop likes veterans. At least, we should be on Marion's list.
__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-14, 01:46 AM
tuncaboylu's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I don't know about anybody else but I'd hold the door open for him for the vet minimum or maybe a portion of the MLE. He has proven, for his age, he still has something left in the tank, he's a good defender and can get after it when needed. I don't know if Chip Engelland can help him with his shot but offense in his case is not a high demand, but he can still score. I'd take him in a heart beat because there aren't many free agents left who seem to want to come to SA and Marion knows our story and we seem to be a contender. And he's a veteran with plenty of experience, and Pop likes veterans. At least, we should be on Marion's list.
I also want to see him in Spurs uniform but don't expect too much from Chip Engelland. This guy is 36 years old and can't change his shooting after that.
__________________
CHAMPIONS SPURS - MVP DUNCAN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-14, 02:03 AM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
....... but don't expect too much from Chip Engelland. This guy is 36 years old and can't change his shooting after that.
I was trying to be a little sarcastic about helping Marion with that shot. That shooting form he's probably kept since the day he first took a shot at the rim. Today, if I was a father of a sprouting young b-ball player, I'd want him to close his eyes everytime Marion took a shot as I wouldn't want any young kid trying to emulate that shot. Yikes......but whatever works for Marion, go for it.

__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-14, 08:25 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,878

As long as it goes in. That's the main thing. Likely wants more than vet minimum. He deserves more than that. He still has game
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-14, 09:47 AM
grizzly_bexar's Avatar
Carne de res ipsa loquitur
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,546

Interesting. I'd take him but in the past there have been issues with him and money/team role. So I'm thinking that's probably where the resistance is or he'd have been signed by somebody already.

This is why I question whether the Mavs are really any better. They added a lot of guys, but they lost a lot of guys too. Marion and Vince Carter on the wings were huge for them last year, Marion in particular defending TP in the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-14, 10:01 AM
b1gdon's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
As long as it goes in. That's the main thing. Likely wants more than vet minimum. He deserves more than that. He still has game
I read somewhere that the Mavs were offering their room exception of around 2.2M to him. I think he wants something closer to MLE. The Spurs should give it to him. Either give him 1 year at MLE or 2 for $7M. If this were March of next year and he just got cut, every team in playoff contention would be rushing to try to sign him. If the whole point of holding a roster spot open and keeping some under tax room available is to sign a guy like this, why not try to do it now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-14, 10:35 AM
KAD's Avatar
KAD KAD is offline
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio
Posts: 7,205

I'm ambivalent on this guy as he was the only Mavs to thrash the Spurs before that dallas series saying that many teams had the better of us adn that we were not as good as our record and coudl be beat!!!

On the other hand for VERY LITTLE CASH he could be a help as a veteran and maybe he'll get motivated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-14, 11:25 AM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 2,032


Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
I read somewhere that the Mavs were offering their room exception of around 2.2M to him. I think he wants something closer to MLE. The Spurs should give it to him. Either give him 1 year at MLE or 2 for $7M. If this were March of next year and he just got cut, every team in playoff contention would be rushing to try to sign him. If the whole point of holding a roster spot open and keeping some under tax room available is to sign a guy like this, why not try to do it now.

Exactly !!! I think he's worthy of the MLE or a significant portion of it. After Gasol decided Chicago, I wanted a reasonable backup for Kawhi. Someone who can hold their own on defense and can do some work on the offensive end as well. Marion on a 1 or 2 year contract is the perfect solution IMO
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-14, 11:25 AM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,878

I could live with a two year six to seven million dollar deal. Second year team option only because of his age. He stays in good shape so I wouldn't be too concerned about his conditioning. I think the Spurs got burned on the Michael Finley and Antonio Dyess contracts in my view. He is getting up there and is a high mileage player. So caution should be used.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-14, 12:00 PM
JuanCaca's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,643

if i remeber correctly, marion isnt that bad passing the ball... right?

if he still can slow down players that are too strong/long to our SG's or too fast to our F's, im in!!
__________________
Im honored to be on this team right now because hes going to be great for years to come, and Im going to hold on as long as I can. -Tim Duncan on Kawhi Leonard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-22-14, 12:07 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,578

If he would accept it, which I don't think he would, he could do really well in the second unit with Manu or Marco setting him up on offense. His best years were when he had a good playmaker like Nash or Kidd helping him. He was never really a great creator on offense.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-22-14, 12:27 PM
MRJONESIII's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,308

My only question is, are the Spurs just going to roll with 2 legit bigs? Duncan and Tiago. Bonner/Diaw/Ayres? If Baynes doesn't return, other than Diaw who is dependable, that's what's left. Marion solves the back SF issue, but he sure as heck isn't a true stretch 4 or big.

Daye if he gets his act together and Anderson probably won't get much run. So what's more important sf or another big?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-22-14, 01:44 PM
spurduncan21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: America
Posts: 2,032

Me thinks the FO is going to bring back Baynes and possibly cut a player to make room for a player like Marion
__________________
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising in every time we fall”

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-22-14, 02:15 PM
WILLTHETHRILL's Avatar
Herman Cain of the board
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Live Oak,Texas
Posts: 3,878

FYI on my previous post I was referring to the second Finley Spurs contract not the first one fresh off Dallas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-22-14, 02:32 PM
MRJONESIII's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Me thinks the FO is going to bring back Baynes and possibly cut a player to make room for a player like Marion
Sure wish we could steal Thaddeus Young from the 76ers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-22-14, 02:38 PM
clovisnmspurfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
FYI on my previous post I was referring to the second Finley Spurs contract not the first one fresh off Dallas.
The second one was probably more of a reward for his performance on the 1st one, don't you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-22-14, 02:46 PM
Uwe Blab's Avatar
The Master Baiter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.A.
Posts: 4,578

The most he made was 3mil in one year for the four years he was here. Really not a bad contract, even though he stunk that last year he was waived.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-22-14, 09:07 PM
drcantgetright's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Neither Here Nor There
Posts: 956

I would take him but we would have to dump someone---I am assuming Baynes will be back. Marion would have a chance of breaking into the regular rotation if he plays well. He definitely get minutes if we had any injury to our 2s or 3s. I was really hoping Daye could fill this role but he just doesn't look ready---nor does Kyle Anderson. Anderson gets a pass --well he may get toros time or street close time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-23-14, 08:57 AM
montgod's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Sure wish we could steal Thaddeus Young from the 76ers.
That would be a very nice find. Unfortunately, I feel like he is more a SF than PF in which we are pretty set with Kawhi there. These days though, it's all interchangeable. The biggest issue would be his contract more than anything. 3 more years on it still and SA usually likes some flexibility. I would rather try and steal one of Philly's big men. They have enough of those where they could do twin towers galore!


Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
The second one was probably more of a reward for his performance on the 1st one, don't you think?
I agree. Finley was cheap in the beginning cause he was an amnesty case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
I would take him but we would have to dump someone---I am assuming Baynes will be back. Marion would have a chance of breaking into the regular rotation if he plays well. He definitely get minutes if we had any injury to our 2s or 3s. I was really hoping Daye could fill this role but he just doesn't look ready---nor does Kyle Anderson. Anderson gets a pass --well he may get toros time or street close time.
I definitely see Daye or Ayres especially getting dumped before Baynes would IF Marion were to come aboard. Also, Cotton still hasn't been guaranteed a spot either.

Adding Marion would be a nice addition IF he would accept coming off the bench for limited minutes. I wouldn't mind him signing a 2 yr deal at the MLE IF the second year was a team option. I personally just don't see him at this stage of the game, signing with the Mavs hated in-state rival knowing he probably would want to work with the Mavs in some capacity after he retires. Knowing Cuban, might be a slap in his face or something.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-23-14, 11:07 AM
MRJONESIII's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,308

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgod View Post
That would be a very nice find. Unfortunately, I feel like he is more a SF than PF in which we are pretty set with Kawhi there. These days though, it's all interchangeable. The biggest issue would be his contract more than anything. 3 more years on it still and SA usually likes some flexibility. I would rather try and steal one of Philly's big men. They have enough of those where they could do twin towers galore!




I agree. Finley was cheap in the beginning cause he was an amnesty case.



I definitely see Daye or Ayres especially getting dumped before Baynes would IF Marion were to come aboard. Also, Cotton still hasn't been guaranteed a spot either.

Adding Marion would be a nice addition IF he would accept coming off the bench for limited minutes. I wouldn't mind him signing a 2 yr deal at the MLE IF the second year was a team option. I personally just don't see him at this stage of the game, signing with the Mavs hated in-state rival knowing he probably would want to work with the Mavs in some capacity after he retires. Knowing Cuban, might be a slap in his face or something.
Always a way for Cuban to try and figure out what the Spurs are doing in house... He might be Cuban's little spy? Why do you think he signs so many former Spurs? Info, baby... Espionage! How do you beat'em... Cheat'em!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-04-14, 08:46 PM
Spurd_On's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: the next beam
Posts: 4,680

Looks like the Cavs are after him for the Vet Minimum. If the Spurs aren't after him, and they appear not to be, then I think that the Spurs enter the training camp standing as is with Daye and Anderson as potential backups to Kawhi by the end of the regular season. I'm not convinced that Daye and Anderson are ready to defend a potted plant but that's the way it appears in the early days of August.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-14, 10:51 AM
alh1020's Avatar
SR Team Goof
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Right here
Posts: 5,061

Marion would have been a nice pickup for the Spurs at the vet minimum. In my mind, Daye and Ayres need to hit the ground running coming into training camp and showing some performance improvement, reflecting that they worked on their game this summer or I see either one or both being waived. I wasnt impressed with either during the summer league play when both should have dominated. Daye was hot and cold and not consistent and surely showed no defense. In order to backup Kawhi, Daye needs to find some foot speed, hire Bruce Bowen for some OJT and bulk up a little. Ayres still needs to find a shot and create on his own. And I see Anderson doing a lot of road work, travelling back and forth between SA and Austin. I'd sure like to see Bryce Cotton find a roster spot, either with the Spurs or somewhere. He's a nice shooter but teams may be influenced by his lack of height, but he sure can jump out of the gym which could even it out a little.
__________________
Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse; it only eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-05-14, 12:07 PM
drcantgetright's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Neither Here Nor There
Posts: 956

Marion is a decent pick up but his numbers really dropped in the playoffs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-07-14, 12:55 PM
Spursin6's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 225

Well it's pretty much a done deal at this point. Per rotoworld:



ESPN.com's Marc Stein said on Thursday that the Cavs "will get Shawn Marion if they get Kevin Love" on ESPN's SportsCenter.
With the Kevin Love trade a fait accompli, it sounds like only a matter of time before Marion joins LeBron James and company in Cleveland. Marion's fantasy value would take a hit in Cleveland as he would be more of a role player, but he can still provide owners in deeper leagues with solid across-the-board stats even if he comes off the bench.



I wonder if Marion ever considered the Spurs, of if the Spurs ever considered him. That Cavs roster is filling out nicely. They still need a legit C (Varejo is always hurt). I'm still not sold on what the Spurs have at the SF position beyond Kawhi, but such as things go.
__________________
Every second is a chance to turn it all around
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-07-14, 02:35 PM
Spurd_On's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: the next beam
Posts: 4,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursin6 View Post
Well it's pretty much a done deal at this point. Per rotoworld:



ESPN.com's Marc Stein said on Thursday that the Cavs "will get Shawn Marion if they get Kevin Love" on ESPN's SportsCenter.
With the Kevin Love trade a fait accompli, it sounds like only a matter of time before Marion joins LeBron James and company in Cleveland. Marion's fantasy value would take a hit in Cleveland as he would be more of a role player, but he can still provide owners in deeper leagues with solid across-the-board stats even if he comes off the bench.



I wonder if Marion ever considered the Spurs, of if the Spurs ever considered him. That Cavs roster is filling out nicely. They still need a legit C (Varejo is always hurt). I'm still not sold on what the Spurs have at the SF position beyond Kawhi, but such as things go.
The Spurs gave JaMychal Green one of those Bryce Cotton type contracts so the battle for back up small forward likely goes to the winner in summer camp. This Cavs team could be awesome. With so many veterans that aren't head trips, this team could come together quickly.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0