News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

View Poll Results: Which player from the Summer League do you feel is crucial to the upcoming season
Jeff Ayres 0 0%
Vander Blue 0 0%
Bryce Cotton 7 35.00%
Austin Daye 5 25.00%
JaMychal Green 3 15.00%
Darius Morris 0 0%
Free agent from another Summer League team 1 5.00%
Other 4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-14, 08:30 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Summer League - Poll #1

Which player from the Summer League do you feel is most crucial to the upcoming season roster?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-14, 09:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

With Patty's injury there is a chance Cotton takes 3rd option as Joseph steps up, otherwise we have the full squad of backups for the rest of the positions.
Old 07-20-14, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
With Patty's injury there is a chance Cotton takes 3rd option as Joseph steps up, otherwise we have the full squad of backups for the rest of the positions.
O.K.. So what happens if there is an injury to Kawhi during the regular season? Remember that he is always nursing those knees with tendinitis during the off season and last season he broke a finger.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-20-14 at 09:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-20-14, 10:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
O.K.. So what happens if there is an injury to Kawhi during the regular season? Remember that he is always nursing those knees with tendinitis during the off season and last season he broke a finger.

Then we deal with that with an invite if that happens, you can only plan for what is a reality not on what ifs.
Old 07-20-14, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Then we deal with that with an invite if that happens, you can only plan for what is a reality not on what ifs.
I disagree. You have already mentioned that Bryce Cotton brings a 3rd option at point guard. Yet if Kawhi went down, as he did last regular season, a strain is put on the shooting guards to fill in which led last season to injuries of shooting guards. The Spurs did not deal with an invite. There was no one to invite. At all other positions there is already back up of some kind particularly if Baynes re-signs. The candidates to back up Kawhi as legit small forwards played in Summer League. Further more, when the Spurs are lucky enough to add someone on a 10 day contract it doesn't usually work out. Playing in the Spurs system requires having been to training camp.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-20-14 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Thanks Mom for the polls.
Old 07-20-14, 11:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I disagree. You have already mentioned that Bryce Cotton brings a 3rd option at point guard. Yet if Kawhi went down, as he did last regular season, a strain is put on the shooting guards to fill in which led last season to injuries of shooting guards. The Spurs did not deal with an invite. There was no one to invite. At all other positions there is already back up of some kind particularly if Baynes re-signs. The candidates to back up Kawhi as legit small forwards played in Summer League. Further more, when the Spurs are lucky enough to add someone on a 10 day contract it doesn't usually work out. Playing in the Spurs system requires having been to training camp.

Currently if Kahwi goes down we have Boris and Marco (Kyle Anderson at a pinch), with Splitter, Bonner and Baynes to cover PF/C. We have Green and Manu who are both experienced to cover SG and so that leaves PG.

Now the importance of PG to the Spurs system can sometimes be under estimated and your own point of a player needing to know the system preaches this back up more than any other as the PG starts and sometimes finishes the offensive motion but controls through. TP leads off and we have Cory coming in hopefully improved but in some situations where Cory isn't happening we need that other option.

Cotton showed he is willing to control the situation and let someone else score and he fought on both ends of the court with fire which is the key to an alternative like this. He is very similar to Patty, a bit shorter but fast and can fill the same role.

So while another long athletic SF like Green would be good, and I liked Green I will put him in Mom's No. 2 poll, as to what we really need I thought a PG.
Old 07-21-14, 07:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Currently if Kahwi goes down we have Boris and Marco (Kyle Anderson at a pinch), with Splitter, Bonner and Baynes to cover PF/C. We have Green and Manu who are both experienced to cover SG and so that leaves PG.

Now the importance of PG to the Spurs system can sometimes be under estimated and your own point of a player needing to know the system preaches this back up more than any other as the PG starts and sometimes finishes the offensive motion but controls through. TP leads off and we have Cory coming in hopefully improved but in some situations where Cory isn't happening we need that other option.

Cotton showed he is willing to control the situation and let someone else score and he fought on both ends of the court with fire which is the key to an alternative like this. He is very similar to Patty, a bit shorter but fast and can fill the same role.

So while another long athletic SF like Green would be good, and I liked Green I will put him in Mom's No. 2 poll, as to what we really need I thought a PG.
We are in agreement with everything you say about point guards. The current 3rd option with Patty out is Manu and it is possible for him to play the position but it's not the best possible option especially when it can be filled by a true point guard.

We are in agreement that another critical area is backup small forward. Whether or not we agree which is the greater need doesn't matter much as it is possible at this point to fill both positions if the Spurs choose to do so or any other position like when they went after Gasol. I guess you could say that the voting might reflect what fans here consider the most critical and we don't know at this point if the Spurs feel the same way or that another player who was not on these lists to fill positions emerges by training camp. Of the players you mention to back up at small forward that are currently on the team, Boris works great in limited situations but is not a suitable matchup against many small forwards in my opinion. Marco was a disaster in the Dallas and OKC series trying to guard small forwards. His defensive abilities are already somewhat limited against shooting guards. To me, Kyle Anderson looks way too raw and untested to fill the roll at an NBA level as yet and appears to be more of a project. That's about all you can hope for with the 30th draft pick.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-21-14 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 08:41 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I selected other.....haven't really been impressed with anyone from the summer league games...Some flashes from a few folks but nothing too special. I still think the Spurs need a back-up SF and I don't think any of those mentioned above are the right answer. Slo-mo is probably our best bet for back up duties but I'm not quite convinced yet
Old 07-21-14, 09:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I selected other.....haven't really been impressed with anyone from the summer league games...Some flashes from a few folks but nothing too special. I still think the Spurs need a back-up SF and I don't think any of those mentioned above are the right answer. Slo-mo is probably our best bet for back up duties but I'm not quite convinced yet
Makes sense. The Spurs still have the MLE I think but seem extremely reluctant to use it.

Old 07-21-14, 09:07 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Makes sense. The Spurs still have the MLE I think but seem extremely reluctant to use it.

I know.....doesn't make sense to me?????/ Unless they're completly sold on Kyle Anderson, which they very well may be. I love his vision and he's very smart (even with the small sample size of the summer league) but damn, the dude is slow....lol
Old 07-21-14, 09:26 AM
The Eternal Optimist

My selection should have the caveat, short term, attached for reasons others have given. I guess continued improvement/development of of Daye and Anderson would be a realistic joint long term selection, but now we are out on a limb and reaching.
Old 07-21-14, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
My selection should have the caveat, short term, attached for reasons others have given. I guess continued improvement/development of of Daye and Anderson would be a realistic joint long term selection, but now we are out on a limb and reaching.
I hear what you are saying "short term" and that's why I included "upcoming season" in the question. In the case of a back up point guard to fill in for Mills, by the time play offs roll around, some point guard would likely be in street clothes, traded or waived. Anderson might be miraculously ready the following season or the Spurs may have plans to bring in Euro stash next year. Etc...

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-21-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 11:45 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

No pg. Kyle Anderson to be like Scottie Pippen. With patty out he better be ready to star! Hehe
I bet Corey Joseph excited that mills is out
Old 07-21-14, 07:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Perhaps the Spurs have not used their mid level exception in order to maintain next years salary ability. Unless they got someone like Gasol this off season, they may think any other mid level signing will be additional dollars on our now potential large cap space next year. We could have the ability to go after a Love, or M Gasol, or Aldridge. Not to say one will come, but we could have that space to offer. And, hard to imagine next years cap going anywhere but up with all the revenue/ hype with the James movement. I understand its hard to say if Manu or Timmy will be back, and if they are at what cost. But as it stands, I'm all for them saving the cap space they will have next year.
Old 07-21-14, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabspur View Post
Perhaps the Spurs have not used their mid level exception in order to maintain next years salary ability. Unless they got someone like Gasol this off season, they may think any other mid level signing will be additional dollars on our now potential large cap space next year. We could have the ability to go after a Love, or M Gasol, or Aldridge. Not to say one will come, but we could have that space to offer. And, hard to imagine next years cap going anywhere but up with all the revenue/ hype with the James movement. I understand its hard to say if Manu or Timmy will be back, and if they are at what cost. But as it stands, I'm all for them saving the cap space they will have next year.
Something along those lines crossed my mind as well.

Old 07-21-14, 09:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
We are in agreement with everything you say about point guards. The current 3rd option with Patty out is Manu and it is possible for him to play the position but it's not the best possible option especially when it can be filled by a true point guard.

We are in agreement that another critical area is backup small forward. Whether or not we agree which is the greater need doesn't matter much as it is possible at this point to fill both positions if the Spurs choose to do so or any other position like when they went after Gasol. I guess you could say that the voting might reflect what fans here consider the most critical and we don't know at this point if the Spurs feel the same way or that another player who was not on these lists to fill positions emerges by training camp. Of the players you mention to back up at small forward that are currently on the team, Boris works great in limited situations but is not a suitable matchup against many small forwards in my opinion. Marco was a disaster in the Dallas and OKC series trying to guard small forwards. His defensive abilities are already somewhat limited against shooting guards. To me, Kyle Anderson looks way too raw and untested to fill the roll at an NBA level as yet and appears to be more of a project. That's about all you can hope for with the 30th draft pick.

Agreed, it is all about how the back ups pan out.... I like what you said in other point though that a 3rd option now would be in street clothes when Patty is back, so SF like Green could be better and hope we are covered a couple of months.

As to free agents and keeping cap for them we are seeing over and over again that they will not come here even if it means a ring, I think it is the work needed to get "the most beautiful game" they baulk at. They would rather take it easy somewhere else and do what they know, or want big city like Pau.
Old 07-21-14, 10:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Or a max salary.....
Old 07-22-14, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Anderson...