News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-17-14, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Austin Daye: Summer League Slump

Austin Daye is shooting a *sarcasm* blazing 32% in summer league against some pretty weak defenses. Am I the only one who would rather have an open spot than this guy jacking up brick after brick while trying to make the newest Walmart in San Antonio (off Walzem I hear, )?

Last edited by Spursin6; 07-17-14 at 09:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-14, 11:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I hear your frustration but the Spurs have been using patience and making good judgement calls lately and they do have Chip Engelland who will have plenty of Summer League video to review.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-18-14, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

He's looked okay so far, I had very high hopes for him, but he's only okay, especially for a 5 year veteran. If it were between Him and Baynes, I would bring Baynes back.
Old 07-18-14, 12:14 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Keep in mind summer league is about putting players in situations outside their comfort zone. He is playing a lot of 4 and I think the physicality of it is affecting his shooting.
Old 07-18-14, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think offseason work and training camp will be more important for Daye than summer league. As mentioned above he's been playing a lot of 4 and I think working with Duncan (like Splitter did) and The Spurs big man coaches will do wonders for him.
Old 07-18-14, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can agree with the idea that daye has been playing out of position ( IMHO I think he's a 2), he seems to do better cutting into the lane and challenging smaller defenders as opposed to standing on the 3pt line.

He has decent handle on the ball , and is pretty fluid in movement. I'd like to see him ideally be the back up 3 , play defense a bit, and punish smaller guards. The eye test : he never found a good rhythm
Old 07-19-14, 12:32 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think Daye read this post b/c he's been playing better since I posted this. Haha.
Old 07-19-14, 11:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Certainly looks good against the Wiz tonight. Shows some nice handles and moves inside the arc. Not a great defender, but he's working pretty hard.
Old 07-20-14, 03:10 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Certainly looks good against the Wiz tonight. Shows some nice handles and moves inside the arc. Not a great defender, but he's working pretty hard.
I was sitting second row at the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed by daye or Anderson. Daye's defense was terrible, he didn't even make an effort. Anderson had several open shots and looked hesitant, it seemed like he wanted to show off his passing but couldn't create.

All in all, I was impressed by cotton and ayres. Their effort are what made it a game.
Old 07-20-14, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
I was sitting second row at the game tonight, and I wasn't impressed by daye or Anderson. Daye's defense was terrible, he didn't even make an effort. Anderson had several open shots and looked hesitant, it seemed like he wanted to show off his passing but couldn't create.

All in all, I was impressed by cotton and ayres. Their effort are what made it a game.
Thanks for the analysis.
Ime Udoka admits that he is not as hard on players as Pop. That's something he will have to learn to do over time. From interviews, it seems that Messina is similar to Pop in that respect. If Udoka wasn't coaching, Daye likely would have gotten chewed out and benched the first time he slacked on defense and would have sat out for a good spell until Pop thought that it had sunk in. The question still remains as to whether if Daye did develop an aggressive mindset on defense, is he even physically capable of doing it? That's why I still have doubts that he is worthy of a roster spot but if the Spurs decide to keep him I would imagine that they don't have those same doubts.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-20-14 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-20-14, 05:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Maybe the question that needs to be answered is how long do the Spurs need to wait for Daye to find himself. Coming out of college he possessed quite impressive skills as to passing, ball handling and shooting for a big. But he has had 5 years as a pro and numerous teams for him to come alive, only to disappoint. Yes, he has shown in a couple games the shooting abilities he possesses, having that one regular season game he couldnít miss and hitting for over 20 points. Everybody thought we got a steal in the Daye for DeColo trade. But thatís been it. Granted, he canít do much sitting at the end of the bench or in the stands but in the minutes that he did get during the regular season, he never really took advance of that time on the court. And watching Daye in these summer games, heís the veteran and should be more in a leadership role but I just didnít see it. Heís been a real disappointment to me. I remember one of the NBA-TV commentators mentioning some of the veterans on these participating teams may be here because they might be on the bubble with their parent team and need this time to exhibit what they can do to win back roster spots. I think Daye is one of those players and to me heís been a real disappointment. Maybe Udoka did play him out of position, but he still ended up on the perimeter putting up bricks. To me, he seems to play and appear to have a lackadaisical attitude, lacking in spirit or interest but maybe thatís his nature to appear that way. I understand his salary for the 2014-15 season isnít guaranteed; based on his Vegas stats and exposure, Iíd say he might be packing his bags. I guess that will depend on how long the Spurs want to wait for the real Austin Daye to show up.
Old 07-20-14, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I hate to think it, but the "real Austin Daye" may already be here.

He had an interesting game or two with the Spurs last season and showed me some flashes during Summer League (I liked how he played against the Wiz last night). I really want him to "get it" because a 6'10 SF to back up Kawhi who can shoot well, handle the ball a bit, occasionally get to the rim and who can defend against guys like Durant would be very valuable.

But I still see only flashes of what might be.

Daye has about two months to transform himself, mentally if not physically. Can't think of anyone in the organization who'd be rooting against him. But he has to realize that he's running out of second chances in the NBA.

Maybe he's just a decent Euro...
Old 07-21-14, 08:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Perhaps we are trying to read too much into Summer League performances.
He came in in the middle of last season. At least give him till pre-season.
Then hang him.
Old 07-22-14, 07:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Perhaps we are trying to read too much into Summer League performances.
He came in in the middle of last season. At least give him till pre-season.
Then hang him.
Yes. We read too much into Summer League performance and training camp performance and even regular season performance. It's human nature because it's all we have currently in front of us. I try to keep a perspective on what someone could do for the team in the down and dirty play offs when opponents come at them with a vengeance and the refs make fewer calls. Are they capable of keeping their cool and throwing it right back at them and taking their own game to the next level both offensively and defensively? Do they have that scrapping instinct? That passion? A player may have a high basketball IQ but if he gets rattled in the playoffs, it's not worth much.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-22-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I had high expectations for this guy, and they have wanned a bit.

One thing I personally have to keep in mind, is that the spurs experiment and gauge a players strength during the regular season!!! Suffice to say the summer league is total mad scientist experimenting with players. I feel like the team is looking at foot speed and spacing, where I'm looking at shot selection. The spurs are the best in the league at talent evaluation , and me personally am not on that level.

I do have to say guys like daye, Cory Joseph, and ayers are going to play a lot in the regular season just to keep the starters minutes down over the 82 games, then once the playoffs roll around, I don't expect them to be suiting up.

I feel daye could be a nice back up 3 for kawhi, his defense is only okay, his shot is not reliable, and I'm not sold on his instincts (wether to pass, shoot, drive). Then again , smarter people than I will be making the big decisions.
Old 07-22-14, 01:12 PM
The Master Baiter

I think this is a case of "Roger Mason/Gary Neal" syndrome, where a barely average player had 1 or 2 great games that causes fans to try hang on to hope that he will suddenly turn in into above average.