News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-14, 02:16 PM
The Master Baiter

A QUANTITATIVE LOOK AT MARION IN SPURSí SYSTEM

Quote:
Once Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs in the near future, the Spursí roster will carry 14 guaranteed contracts. With the NBA maximum roster limit being 15, the Spurs have just one spot remaining to use in a variety of ways: re-sign Aron Baynes, sign an outside free agent, sign a training camp invite (like Bryce Cotton), sign an international player they hold the draft rights to, or just leave the spot open.

After the Dallas Mavericks inked deals with Chandler Parsons and Richard Jefferson, and with Vince Carter heading to Memphis, it seems very likely unrestricted free agent Shawn Marionís days in Dallas are done. With Marion being a free agent, many Spurs fans have asked me through Twitter if Marion would be a good fit for the Spurs, as a backup small forward to Kawhi Leonard. Using the Synergy Sports and SportVU databases, Iíve put together some charts that show how Marion would have performed with his offensive and defensive skill sets. The following is just a quantitative comparison, and it should be known that the offensive and defensive systems the Spurs and Mavericks use are totally different, which could be a reason for some separation in the statistics.
Continued...

I don't know. Wouldn't make them worse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-14, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm not saying that Marion or any of the other vets being discussed wouldn't work for the Spurs but signing Bonner to the Spurs 14th spot indicates to me that the Spurs want to have that MLE available for next year. It almost seems that they have a long term strategy already in place for using the MLE. The Gasol possibility was probably so enticing that it trumped long term plans. I guess what surprises me most right now is that there is no qualifying offer for Baynes. I thought that Brett Brown in Philly would have jumped on that which leaves the Spurs in limbo right now for the 15th spot.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-15-14 at 03:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-14, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I like Baynes. He certainly seems more valuable than Ayers. I'd also like to keep Cotton in the system.

So for me to get my wish, I'd send Ayers out for a pick, and keep Aussie boy and the kid from Providence.

Last edited by mckennaspur1; 07-15-14 at 04:15 PM.