News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-07-14, 05:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs Sign Rookie Bryce Cotton

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard Bryce Cotton. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not announced.

Cotton, 6-1/165, recently completed his collegiate career at Providence College. In four seasons with the Friars, Cotton appeared in 130 games, averaging 15.2 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds in 33.2 minutes per game.

As a senior Cotton averaged 21.8 points, 5.9 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 39.9 minutes and was named to the All-BIG EAST First Team, as well as the AP Honorable Mention All-America Team. He led the nation in minutes played and set a Friars record for minutes played in a season (1,398). Cotton helped guide Providence to the Big East Tournament Championship, earning Most Outstanding Player honors. The guard scored 20-or-more points in 26 of the 35 games he played in last season, including a career-high 36 points versus North Carolina on March 21 in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. He finished his career ranked fourth all-time in scoring at Providence (1,975 points).

Cotton is set to participate on the Spurs Las Vegas Summer League team.

Spurs Sign Rookie Bryce Cotton | San Antonio Spurs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-14, 06:41 PM
SR Team Goof

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvery interesting. Maybe his request for something more than a look at the Summer league play worked. Then, of course, since we don't know the terms of the contract, him being on the Spurs roster and guaranteed salary may be dependent on his play in the summer league. But looking at his credentials above, I'm surprised he wasn't drafted, particularly in the 2nd round.
Old 07-07-14, 06:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I went to youtube to see his highlights and he is very impressive. The kid can score.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-14, 06:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Vvvvvvvvvvvvvery interesting. Maybe his request for something more than a look at the Summer league play worked. Then, of course, since we don't know the terms of the contract, him being on the Spurs roster and guaranteed salary may be dependent on his play in the summer league. But looking at his credentials above, I'm surprised he wasn't drafted, particularly in the 2nd round.
Right. We have no idea what kind of contract he signed but it does suggest that the Spurs are not comfortable without Mills for the first half of the season. Home court advantage was convenient in last year's run.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 07-07-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 07:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He seems like a good solid point guard, especially for a 3rd string. for the next 6-7 months, we are going in with Tony and Cory as the primary point guards on the team, what happens if tony gets injured, or Pop wants to hold him out of a back to back? then you're down to Cory and that's it.

I think Dallas was really looking to snatch Bryce , seeing as they have no real PG on the team. The spurs need to sign the guys they want before lebron, melo, and deng decide where they want to be and teams flush with cash start picking up our quality targets.
Old 07-07-14, 07:57 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Maybe he will play in the Toros with the possibility of being called up. Does he take a roster spot as is?
Old 07-07-14, 11:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
Maybe he will play in the Toros with the possibility of being called up. Does he take a roster spot as is?
He has Spurs skills but not Spurs play knowledge. D-League seems like a good start but I don't think that the Spurs want to fall too far behind in the playoff seeding.

Old 07-08-14, 12:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

On offense he brings quite a bit of what Patty does, with possibly more solid ball handling and ability to finish in the lane. If he can be a pest on D like Patty is, this is a solid pickup.

Old 07-08-14, 06:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I agree that this kid has not only great skills but the drive to improve. However there seems to be something very conditional about his contract. We knew almost immediately about Mills and Diaw's contract yet the Spurs have not disclosed this one for Cotton.
Old 07-08-14, 11:04 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

somewhere i read that he needs to impress on summer league to guarantee the contract...
Old 07-10-14, 04:02 AM
SR Team Goof

Found this on tweeter:

Mark Deeks: San Antonio's contract with Bryce Cotton is only $50,000 guaranteed. Twitter @MarkDeeksNBA
Old 07-10-14, 04:19 AM
SR Team Goof

Found this article in Bleacher Report. I swear the more I read about this kid bears the question as to why wasn't he drafted and did the Spurs find another raw gem that everybody else passed up on:

Every Team's Best Undrafted Free-Agent Signing to Date (San Antonio)

Bryce Cotton

School: Providence
Position: PG
2013-14 Per-Game Stats: 21.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.1 blocks

Say hello to one of the most underrated prospects in the 2014 draft class—including both drafted and undrafted players. It's only fitting that he winds up in a San Antonio Spurs jersey, as they've made a habit out of unearthing gems.

The 21-year-old is an incredibly talented scorer, one who can shoot the lights out while thriving as a slasher and involving his teammates. He's also a ridiculous leaper, as he boasted a reported max vert of 46 inches at a workout in Sacramento, per Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.

Size and lateral quickness, which impact his defense in a big way, are the biggest negatives. Or smallest, I suppose?

Cotton stands only 6'0", and he doesn't appear to be a top-end athlete when he's not jumping in a gym. That should work against him at the next level, though, it's hard to find an organization more suited for negating those deficiencies than the Spurs.

Link: Every Team's Best Undrafted Free-Agent Signing to Date | Bleacher Report
Old 07-10-14, 06:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

In the mini-camp interview with Ime Udoka, they asked what Ime's initial impressions of Cotton were and the first words to come out of his mouth were "Super Quick".
Old 07-10-14, 06:41 AM
SR Team Goof

Maybe remind a lot of folks of Speedy Claxton.
Old 07-10-14, 08:45 AM
The Master Baiter

He looks like the usual "change up" point guard. I like what I see though. I can see bringing him in for instant offense. Of course, that's what Patty Mills does now.