News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 06-20-14, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu playing for FIBA!

NOT a good sign. He's always wore out, more injury prone... Just not what I expected from him after he played so well this year, stayed healthy and brought it in the finals. I really believe that was the key to his resurgence. Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-14, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

NOOOOOooooooo!

Not happy about this.

But then again, who the hell am I?
Old 06-20-14, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Injuries and or/underperformance in the playoffs each time our guys do this summer play stuff. And Manu.. He's no spring chicken. THIS will be the single most biggest obstacle to a repeat as far as I can tell at this point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-14, 12:58 PM
The Master Baiter

Manu has never played well after playing in the summer. It's obvious he's not concerned about repeating. Trade him. He's in the last year of his contract. We could get someone decent. Pisses me off.
Old 06-20-14, 01:10 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I think he'll be fine. We'll just have to rest him and lean more on the younger guys. I don't expect him to play very much the first 1/3 of the year.
Old 06-20-14, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
NOOOOOooooooo!

Not happy about this.

But then again, who the hell am I?
We are the fans that know the history of the ware and tear results on his body and know he doesn't have many miles left on that body. We're the selfish fans that would love to see he and the rest of the guys repeat. And the best way for guys like Manu and Tony is to rest and just sharpen their skill in preseason and throughout the season. We are the fans that don't want to see him suffer through a injury riddled season and retire broken down. We need Manu to be Manu, without that element of our TEAM it will be hard to repeat. Hope he's only going to coach!
Old 06-20-14, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What is everyone crying about?, its ******* 8 games(only 40 min each. And 5 of those games will be blowouts where Manu will play less than 20 min). The entire tournament is equivalent of playing one playoff series. Plus he has a month to rest after the tournament.
Old 06-20-14, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This seems foolish, and I'm amazed that Manu has made this choice.

I've got no problem with his representing Argentina, but he's got to know that this will cost him deeply during the next NBA season. Pick one or the other, Manu: you have too much mileage on you to successfully do both.
Old 06-20-14, 05:49 PM
The Eternal Optimist

How is a person representing their country in any sport foolish? If any of us were honest, we would all jump at the opportunity. It is a great honor to be chosen to play for your country. When something of this magnitude comes along so late in one's career it must be doubly hard to turn down.

We are all lamenting his choice for our own selfish reasons. Yes, extra wear and tear may take its toll, but national pride is a strange thing. It is a price a team has to pay for having so many outstanding players on its roster. Think about it, the Spurs have six recent Olympians on their roster including the leading scorer. The international experiences have helped all the players involved. By all accounts, most observers even think the international experience will be beneficial Kawhi too. Admittedly he is 14 or 15 years younger than Many.
Old 06-20-14, 07:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
How is a person representing their country in any sport foolish? If any of us were honest, we would all jump at the opportunity. It is a great honor to be chosen to play for your country. When something of this magnitude comes along so late in one's career it must be doubly hard to turn down.

We are all lamenting his choice for our own selfish reasons. Yes, extra wear and tear may take its toll, but national pride is a strange thing. It is a price a team has to pay for having so many outstanding players on its roster. Think about it, the Spurs have six recent Olympians on their roster including the leading scorer. The international experiences have helped all the players involved. By all accounts, most observers even think the international experience will be beneficial Kawhi too. Admittedly he is 14 or 15 years younger than Many.
I would agree if this were Manu's first time doing this. But he's already won gold at the Olympics for crying out loud. He has nothing left to prove on that stage.
Old 06-20-14, 07:42 PM
SR Team Goof

Have to admit it doesn't seem like a good idea but loyalty and a last time to play for his country in competition may be at play here. He surely doesn't have anything to prove but maybe himself. Hell, I don't know why he's doing it === maybe he's just got the urge to play some more b-ball and wants to avoid changing diapers.
Old 06-20-14, 09:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
We are the fans that know the history of the ware and tear results on his body and know he doesn't have many miles left on that body. We're the selfish fans that would love to see he and the rest of the guys repeat. And the best way for guys like Manu and Tony is to rest and just sharpen their skill in preseason and throughout the season. We are the fans that don't want to see him suffer through a injury riddled season and retire broken down. We need Manu to be Manu, without that element of our TEAM it will be hard to repeat. Hope he's only going to coach!
Argentina has fans too.
Old 06-20-14, 11:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Argentina has fans too.
I understand that but, Argentina is not paying his bills. If he goes down or something like that, it'll really hurt his Spurs teammates. We all know what he means to this organization. Even US athletes are a scary thing when playing in the Olympics. KD, Melo, LeBron and so on. They break something and miss extended time would suck for their respective teams. But I guess it doesn't matter what we think, but we sure will see what happens next season.
Old 06-21-14, 12:38 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

When you are the best athlete in the history of a country, itīs kinda tough to say no...
Old 06-21-14, 02:18 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

We won the title this year and he played his butt off! Let the man play this summer if he wants to! GOOD LORD 5 titles is the icing on the cake for me and he kicked butt in the finals! Let him do what he wants to do at the end of his career.

Good for Manu playing if he wants to this summer, he flat out deserves it.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-21-14, 02:39 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
We won the title this year and he played his butt off! Let the man play this summer if he wants to! GOOD LORD 5 titles is the icing on the cake for me and he kicked butt in the finals! Let him do what he wants to do at the end of his career.

Good for Manu playing if he wants to this summer, he flat out deserves it.
He did play his ass off. But I look at it this way. He's got one year left and he's going to retire. That's pretty much a lock. So if he plays in the summer and has an injury filled season that ultimately costs the Spurs another championship, it was just a throw away season for him and for the team. Knowing that he's injury prone, why would he do that? And it's not like he didn't have injuries this year, he was just lucky they happened early. Hopefully they are able to bring everyone back because that team can absorb Manu being injured all the time. If they lose 1 or 2 people plus have Manu in a suit, it's not going to happen.
Old 06-21-14, 09:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
He did play his ass off. But I look at it this way. He's got one year left and he's going to retire. That's pretty much a lock. So if he plays in the summer and has an injury filled season that ultimately costs the Spurs another championship, it was just a throw away season for him and for the team. Knowing that he's injury prone, why would he do that? And it's not like he didn't have injuries this year, he was just lucky they happened early. Hopefully they are able to bring everyone back because that team can absorb Manu being injured all the time. If they lose 1 or 2 people plus have Manu in a suit, it's not going to happen.
Exactly... Can't he still play if he's retired from the NBA? Like Fabrico Oberto. But it is what it is, we just pray this season will be different than all his other double duty years.
Old 06-21-14, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Manu has never played well after playing in the summer. It's obvious he's not concerned about repeating. Trade him. He's in the last year of his contract. We could get someone decent. Pisses me off.

HA ha ha, thatīs funny. We won 2005 and Manu was almost Finals MVP after leading the Argentine NT to the gold medal in the summer of 2004.
Old 06-21-14, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Maybe he feels this is his last chance to have an impact for his country since this is as healthy as he has been in a long time?

We shouldn't begrudge him that just because it may negatively impact the Spurs. He has a whole life to live after the Spurs.
Old 06-21-14, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

one of the last interviews he did after the finals with NBA TV was that he was going to play but he was going to clarify what his role was going to be. meaning to me that he was going to be there to support the team and perhaps as a mentor and will play if there was a need for the team to win. I don't think he will play much. he should be fine. I cant believe the guy has so much energy mentally and physically after back to back NBA Finals. amazing
Old 06-21-14, 11:49 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Oberto! View Post
HA ha ha, thatīs funny. We won 2005 and Manu was almost Finals MVP after leading the Argentine NT to the gold medal in the summer of 2004.
What's that Marty McFly? You've got a time machine and brought 26 year old Manu to the future? Look, that was 2005. Every time AFTER that has been disastrous.
Old 06-21-14, 11:51 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Let's not pretend here Mr Uwe will ever be happy about Manu...
He sure shut you up this POffs
[email protected]
Old 06-22-14, 12:41 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Let's not pretend here Mr Uwe will ever be happy about Manu...
He sure shut you up this POffs
That was so 7 days ago. I'm all about what you've done for me lately!
Old 06-22-14, 09:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I am hoping (and expecting) that we will be able to count on Marco Belinelli this year...as least in the regular season. I think he is a good player and just needs more time in the Spurs system. Hopefully, he can do well and Manu can rest more before the rodeo road trip.
Old 06-22-14, 08:25 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
That was so 7 days ago. I'm all about what you've done for me lately!
Flipflop fan it is then. Good for you!! Here is a cookie
[email protected]
Old 06-22-14, 08:43 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA View Post
Flipflop fan it is then. Good for you!! Here is a cookie
Old 06-22-14, 10:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
I am hoping (and expecting) that we will be able to count on Marco Belinelli this year...as least in the regular season. I think he is a good player and just needs more time in the Spurs system. Hopefully, he can do well and Manu can rest more before the rodeo road trip.
I wouldn't get too excited. Marco's problem is his defense. I don't see him ever having a big impact in the playoffs because he can't guard anyone.

But we need regular season depth, so I am not calling to get rid of the guy.
Old 06-23-14, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

yeah no big deal. The way pop manages minutes now on his old guys, he will be fine. Eventually we will have to be playing our young guys more so no prob. Our big three will be nice and rested throughout the season.