SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   No Serge Ibaka for OKC-Spurs Series? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121795-no-serge-ibaka-okc-spurs-series.html)

Guapo 05-16-14 04:08 AM

No Serge Ibaka for OKC-Spurs Series?

I saw him go down and go to the locker room during the closeout game vs the Clippers, now this from Express-News:

Oklahoma City could be dealing with a key injury of its own after shot-blocking forward Serge Ibaka, the lynchpin of the defensive pressure that has given the Spurs so much trouble in recent seasons, left Thursday’s game against the Clippers with an undisclosed calf injury. His status was not known as of 1 a.m. this morning.

San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » Oklahoma City advances, earns rematch with Spurs in Western finals

SPUROFTHAMOMENT 05-16-14 08:44 AM

Awww man... That sucks if that's the case!!!

KAD 05-16-14 08:54 AM

We need to beat this team at their full strength!

esparzar1 05-16-14 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAD (Post 1312656)
We need to beat this team at their full strength!

Hell nah.....I hope he never comes back. Yeah, I said it! I'll take every advantage we can get :D....FTT<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

pessimist 05-16-14 10:39 AM

I'd rather play the Thunder without Ibaka. At full strength the Spurs went 0-4 against them. I don't want any part of Ibaka.

choppsboy 05-16-14 10:44 AM

No Ibaka = no chance.

Personally, I don't care who they have. We have to beat them either way.

alh1020 05-16-14 11:13 AM

We have to beat them with or without Ibaka. Ibaka is just one weapon in the OKC arsenal and I'm sure he'll recover and be there to play. We still have to find a way to stop Durant, Westbrook and especially Reggie Jackson, who seems to spark them off the bench and has career games against the Spurs. And to add to that the fact we have an injury of our own in Parker and we don’t really know the full extent of, so it’s even steven so far. The 0-4 regular season record will be left at the door as the playoffs are the start of the new season and OKC stands between us and the Finals. Time to move forward.

nbahoops21 05-16-14 11:36 AM

We've had to deal with our own injuries in the past... If he doesn't play, I could care less... We need every advantage... Iwant to see Spurs vs Heat... Can't wait!
:D:D

Eddy from Austin 05-16-14 05:18 PM

IBAKA TO MISS REMAINDER OF PLAYOFFS WITH CALF INJURY

Posted by Paul Garcia on May 16, 2014 17:13

The Oklahoma City Thunder announced Friday evening forward Serge Ibaka will miss the remainder of the 2013-2014 postseason with a left calf injury.

Here is what Thunder General Manager Sam Presti had to say regarding the news via the Thunder press release:

“We are obviously disappointed for Serge, as he is a tremendous competitor, and we know how badly he wants to be on the court with his teammates,” said Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti. “At this point it is important that our team directs its concentration and energy towards preparation and execution for our upcoming series. As with all teams, our group has confronted different challenges. It is our collective experience that we will call on to ensure that we play to our capabilities.”

Read more...

Spurd_On 05-16-14 05:18 PM

NBA.com is now announcing that Ibaka is done for the playoffs.

Kiko Martinez 05-16-14 05:21 PM

Ibaka will miss rest of playoffs with calf injury -- CBS Sports

Serge Ibaka will miss remainder of playoffs with calf injury - CBSSports.com

:yikes

Uwe Blab 05-16-14 05:21 PM

Oh well. How many times have the Spurs had injuries that kept them from winning? Plenty. I'm not going to assume it will be much easier for the Spurs, but Ibaka caused Parker to play scared to penetrate.

MRJONESIII 05-16-14 05:38 PM

So the Clippers did serve a purpose! Fruit cakes for all of them!

Spurd_On 05-16-14 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1312696)

And you burned your hat.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

Spurd_On 05-16-14 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1312693)
Oh well. How many times have the Spurs had injuries that kept them from winning? Plenty. I'm not going to assume it will be much easier for the Spurs, but Ibaka caused Parker to play scared to penetrate.

Neither am I. A Spurs injury could occur at any time and Collison will step up and play very nasty.

b1gdon 05-16-14 05:45 PM

No ibaka or harden for thunder, no Jackson or Neal for Spurs. I can live with that.

alh1020 05-16-14 06:02 PM

Heartbreak Hotel. It's sad that a player n a contending team goes does during the playoffs and before the season ends, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Stay healthy Spurs.

Scxeezy 05-16-14 06:37 PM

Quote:

No ibaka or harden for thunder, no Jackson or Neal for Spurs. I can live with that.
Yup...and add Reggie Jackson, Caron Butler, and Steven Adams to the Thunder and add Belinelli and basically Mills to the Spurs. Plus take into account that Leonard is much better now, and Splitter, Green, and Diaw are better now. And for the Thunder Fisher's usage has declined (I say usage because I don't know if it is his ability, or just due to Jackson's increased role...I don't know...I don't follow the Thunder).

How much better do we feel Durant and Westbrook are now than then, and how much better or worse do we feel Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are?

Guapo 05-16-14 07:17 PM

Marc J. Spears: Presti said Ibaka's injury is in the plantaris part of the calf. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

Darnell Mayberry: Presti: "The recovery process is lengthy because the re-injury risk is exceptionally high." Twitter @DarnellMayberry

clovisnmspurfan 05-16-14 07:31 PM

I maintain you need talent, good match ups, scheduling and last of all a little bit of luck to go all the way. Maybe this is part of our good luck. Mr. Jones, do you have any fruit cake left over?

MRJONESIII 05-16-14 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1312697)
And you burned your hat.

I did. It really helped with starting my characols for dinner! Chicken tasted excellent.

MRJONESIII 05-16-14 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1312709)
I maintain you need talent, good match ups, scheduling and last of all a little bit of luck to go all the way. Maybe this is part of our good luck. Mr. Jones, do you have any fruit cake left over?

Sorry I don't, I gave the extra one to the best point guard in the league... He needed it to eat while he watches all those cool commercials he's been making instead of working on his game.... Hahaha!

spurscrazed 05-16-14 10:06 PM

Meh...
Who the Freak Cares if Serge Ibaka played or not..
ERRRR Except the THUNDER themselves since the will be now thin at their frontcourt. And that should shake their confidence! Serge IMO is just a role player but his emotional lift he gives them will be gone and that would be huge!

Still I expect other Thunder players to step up and play better.
And my ENTIRE SPURS TEAM to play as if there is no tomorrow!
WE take it to the NEXT LEVEL now Fellas!
Spurs will RULE!
Spurs will be on FIRE and it dont matter who plays from okc thunder!

Go Spurs Go!

Rzarector7 05-17-14 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1312699)

I would take that Jax though from that series to be honest, his huge shot in game one late secured the win from three and his game 6 was one for the ages, he is one of the few that showed up. I would take someone in his shoes to do just that again and definitely would take no Ibaka and Harden! That part there makes me happy. :D

b1gdon 05-17-14 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1312715)
Meh...
Who the Freak Cares if Serge Ibaka played or not..
ERRRR Except the THUNDER themselves since the will be now thin at their frontcourt. And that should shake their confidence! Serge IMO is just a role player but his emotional lift he gives them will be gone and that would be huge!

Still I expect other Thunder players to step up and play better.
And my ENTIRE SPURS TEAM to play as if there is no tomorrow!
WE take it to the NEXT LEVEL now Fellas!
Spurs will RULE!
Spurs will be on FIRE and it dont matter who plays from okc thunder!

Go Spurs Go!

Ibaka is a little bit more than a role player. The Thunder chose to keep and pay him the all star money instead of Harden. He is the center of that team's entire defensive scheme. Luck plays a role in almost every champion's run. Now is the time we need to step up and take advantage.

KAD 05-17-14 02:35 AM

I just hope the Spurs read this right as Ibaka was a thorn as he physically harassed Tony, Tim and anybody who went inside. And instead of being smart and disciplined we continued to try and outplay his physical shot blocking abilities. The Thunder will put who ever there and tell them to do the same thing and the Spurs need to move the ball in and out and be disciplined otherwise no Ibaka will not help. And if Ibaka was there we should plan the same thing! Miami is watching us.....

Kager 05-17-14 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1312719)
Ibaka is a little bit more than a role player. The Thunder chose to keep and pay him the all star money instead of Harden. He is the center of that team's entire defensive scheme. Luck plays a role in almost every champion's run. Now is the time we need to step up and take advantage.

Agreed and he is on top of that a player who once shot 11 of 11 against us while locking us down to take us from 2 - 0 up to 4-2 out...... I think we should think of him as more than a role player

clovisnmspurfan 05-17-14 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1312713)
Sorry I don't, I gave the extra one to the best point guard in the league... He needed it to eat while he watches all those cool commercials he's been making instead of working on his game.... Hahaha!

I can live with that, Go Spurs Go!!

Guille 05-17-14 12:32 PM

This is part of basketball, that´s why Pop regulated minutes all year long, and why Ibaka has 88 games played this year over 30 minutes a night

spurscrazed 05-17-14 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1312719)

OK I will give him no more than "a little bit" more than a role player. Mainly because of his rebounding and his defense and shot blocking ability.

As for scoring the reason he hit those shots was that he would be wide open most of the times when we are covering KD or RWestbrook.

No disrespect for Serge but he is not an all star . He is simply the beneficiary for KD and RW. And yes he is a big part of OKC schemes however....

Now the last thing I wanted to point out that Spurs would be lucky that he is not there and start thinking that OKC would be easy to beat without Serge.

I think other OKC players would step up now but that is not necessarily an advantage for Spurs because other OKC players could step up and take over what Serge was beneficiary off..

Bottom Line. Spurs must prepare for anything because anything could happen when a very well coached NBA team as OKC who have KD and RW can do!

TimmyDthaWay2B 05-17-14 07:21 PM

I'm not even convinced serge will be out the entire series...

Mombear 05-17-14 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1312696)

:laugh

JuanCaca 05-19-14 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1312734)
I'm not even convinced serge will be out the entire series...

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->i was thinking the same...

polk 05-19-14 10:30 AM

Agreed. I can see a Willis Reed type of entrance for Ibaka. Maybe it doesn't happend in SA but, depending on how the series stands, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Games 3 or 4 in OKC. Emotional lift for an already raucous environment.