News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-16-14, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Let's get ready to rumble!

This is it... The best vs. The best, 1 vs 2, put up or shut up! It's going to be a knock-down, drag out! A barn burner. What's the one or two things our Spurs need to do to punch that ticket to the finals? Stop Jackson, limit Serge's jumpshots, make Westbrook into bigger ball hog? Thoughts my good people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-14, 01:06 AM
The Master Baiter

The refs really scare me. Seems like they've tried really hard to get them there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-14, 07:45 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Valid point from Uwe and Mrjones. The refs do scare me but if the Spurs are "clicking" like they did in the Portland series than I have no worries about this series.

We know we want Westpr!ck to be a ball hog and we need to limit Jackson's second unit barrage (I think Mills can be a thorn in his side) but I honestly think the biggest key is Sugar K against Durant, both on the offense and defense.

Durant is highly unlikely to actually be stoped (even by Sugar K) but hopefully he can at least slow him down and bother him a bit with his length. The Spurs need to minimize the fast break opportunities as well. Durant and Westpr!ck are unstopable on the fast break. Therefore the Spurs need to limit TO opportunities on the offensive end, keep the ball move and FEED SUGAR K!!!!!!! I love the aggresive style of play and what seems to be confidence!

I'm pumped and ready for the Spurs to get thier revenge!!!

Last edited by esparzar1; 05-16-14 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 08:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

OKC is a strange phenomena. Durant and Westbrook take more shots than the rest of the team combined and Ibaka is a defensive monster. Somehow it works. I wonder if they will try Splitter on Durant and Kawhi on Westbrook. Pop never tried to match Baynes against this team in the regular season but I think that the Spurs will need some beef down low from time to time. Mills will have to figure out Jackson.

On a side note, the 2 free agents small forwards that were up for grabs at the trade deadline, Danny Granger and Caron Butler, seemed to be non factors in the series.
Old 05-16-14, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I just don't want to see Timmy get too beat up down low. Between Perkins and Adams, I think they'll use their 12 combined fouls to their full advantage. I hope pop got some scheme to negate that but I'm sure Timmy will be spending quite a bit of time at the line this series. Absolutely imperative for him to make a good percentage as well as rebounding. Defensive Rebounding has to be the emphasis of the team. Don't want to give them unnecessary second chance points.

- Confucius
Old 05-16-14, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Rookie

closing quarters are going to be key this serie, I dont want to see big shots from fisher or jackson, jump on okc asap , win the 50-50 balls (collison and adams)westbrook, durant and even ibaka are going to get theirs. now, okc hasnt seen a really good shooting as we are. memphis didnt have any and clips had barnes? yeah we are better, SPURS IN 5!
Old 05-16-14, 09:17 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Not necessarily keys, but limiting turnovers and winning (or at least getting even in) the rebound battle will be two big things for the Spurs in this upcoming series
Old 05-16-14, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Spurs inside play verses OKC inside D - we have just not adjusted to their physical banging and Ibaka blocks. From Timmy to Tony on down this is where we need to be patient, disciplined and get that GREAT shot over that GOOD shot.

They score off the inside TO's
Old 05-16-14, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You guys are going to lambaste me for this comment, but here goes:

Tiago Splitter will spend more time guarding KD than anyone on the team not named Kawhi Leonard.
Old 05-16-14, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
Valid point from Uwe and Mrjones. The refs do scare me but if the Spurs are "clicking" like they did in the Portland series than I have no worries about this series.

We know we want Westpr!ck to be a ball hog and we need to limit Jackson's second unit barrage (I think Mills can be a thorn in his side) but I honestly think the biggest key is Sugar K against Durant, both on the offense and defense.

Durant is highly unlikely to actually be stoped (even by Sugar K) but hopefully he can at least slow him down and bother him a bit with his length. The Spurs need to minimize the fast break opportunities as well. Durant and Westpr!ck are unstopable on the fast break. Therefore the Spurs need to limit TO opportunities on the offensive end, keep the ball move and FEED SUGAR K!!!!!!! I love the aggresive style of play and what seems to be confidence!

I'm pumped and ready for the Spurs to get thier revenge!!!
I totally agree with Esparza1...
We need Westbrook to be a total ball hog...
If we play Spurs basketball, we'll be ok
Go Spurs Go!
Old 05-16-14, 11:23 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
You guys are going to lambaste me for this comment, but here goes:

Tiago Splitter will spend more time guarding KD than anyone on the team not named Kawhi Leonard.
Well, I said it was silly to try Tiago on Aldridge and he burned me. So why not? But KD is a totally different animal. He'll get around Tiago easily.

Tony has absolutely got to hit his midrange shot consistently. They are going to pack the paint and prevent him from penetrating. If he forces them to come out and defend his midrange jumper, they'll have more room in the paint. They also have to keep the role players in check. They won't stop Durant or Westbrook.

I think that it's going to come down to the team's best players making great plays in crunch time. And that's exactly what OKC has done to get this far. That being said, the Spurs aren't Memphis or the Clippers. They'll have a better game plan.
Old 05-16-14, 12:09 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Splitter on KD can only work when OKC goes small with KD at the 4.
And when that happens, Spurs should try to get the ball inside to Timmy and Tiago in offense.

Might turn out into a nice experiment, but I probably see Pop going small with Kawhi at the 4 or using Diaw instead of trying the Splitter experiment.
Old 05-16-14, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Well, I said it was silly to try Tiago on Aldridge and he burned me. So why not? But KD is a totally different animal. He'll get around Tiago easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Splitter on KD can only work when OKC goes small with KD at the 4.
And when that happens, Spurs should try to get the ball inside to Timmy and Tiago in offense.

Might turn out into a nice experiment, but I probably see Pop going small with Kawhi at the 4 or using Diaw instead of trying the Splitter experiment.
Don't get me wrong, I am not predicting success this time. KD will absolutely go right around Splitter.

I think Splitter will be part of a double team strategy though.

Pop put Splitter on him a couple of times in the last game they played against each other in the regular season. Didn't work very well.