News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-16-14, 12:23 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Chris Paul-- Overrated

For all the talk about him being the best point guard in the league the last 10 years, the guy has never been out of the second round... When does that start haunting him?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-14, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I say he's number 2.

1.Tony Parker
2.Chris Paul
3.Russel WestBrook
4.Steph Curry
5.Goran Dragic
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-14, 12:46 AM

Yeah, but tony will never be remembered as the better point guard. I'll live with the championships tho.
Old 05-16-14, 01:07 AM
The Master Baiter

If Tony leads the team to a title this year, he'll be remembered as the better player.
Old 05-16-14, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If Tony leads the team to a title this year, he'll be remembered as the better player.
By who? I don't think he could win back to back titles and be remembered as the better point guard. It doesn't matter, but it's just ridiculous. To me it's like the difference between magic and Stockton.
Old 05-16-14, 05:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

WHAT???????? Is this post a joke or what? The guy basically carried that team through the playoffs and now he's overrated? Did you even watch the games? When TP struggled against OKC a couple years ago, was that your assessment of him? Your argument is weak!

He's been with the New Orleans Hornets and a Clipper team JUST NOW comin' into their own. If you can't watch the games and honestly evaluate then you lose credibility.
Old 05-16-14, 07:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

As someone once said, "At this point what does it Matter?"
Old 05-17-14, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real View Post
WHAT???????? Is this post a joke or what? The guy basically carried that team through the playoffs and now he's overrated? Did you even watch the games? When TP struggled against OKC a couple years ago, was that your assessment of him? Your argument is weak!

He's been with the New Orleans Hornets and a Clipper team JUST NOW comin' into their own. If you can't watch the games and honestly evaluate then you lose credibility.
I'm assuming you are responding to the original post, in which I said he is overrated. I watch the games, but unfortunately he's never been out of the second round so there aren't too many PLAYOFF games to judge him by. So he's the best point guard in the league but for some reason there always 4 other point guards playing when the conference finals come around, when do statistics become over shadowed by choking in the playoffs time and time again?

He can't take the pressure, it's as simple as that. You can say my argument is weak all you want, but how about you come up with some concrete evidence that he is a better player than tony Parker?
Old 05-17-14, 04:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
I'm assuming you are responding to the original post, in which I said he is overrated. I watch the games, but unfortunately he's never been out of the second round so there aren't too many PLAYOFF games to judge him by. So he's the best point guard in the league but for some reason there always 4 other point guards playing when the conference finals come around, when do statistics become over shadowed by choking in the playoffs time and time again?

He can't take the pressure, it's as simple as that. You can say my argument is weak all you want, but how about you come up with some concrete evidence that he is a better player than tony Parker?
I didn't say he was the best PG in the league neither did I say he wasn't. I took issue with him being "overrated" because he's "never been out of the second round". That is what I said was a weak basis for an argument.

I was just pointing out that there wasn't much opportunity to advance past the 2nd round in New Orleans when your most notable teammates are Okafor and David West. As for the Clippers, they are just now comin into their own. TP fell into a good situation when he landed on a championship contender in his rookie season. CP3 didn't have that luxury. Now if he hasn't achieved that after several years with a contendin Clipper team, that would be a problem. What would we be sayin about TP had he landed in New Orleans? It's easy to say this guy or that guy hasn't been to the WC Finals but it's not always a fair assessment. People in the know can watch the guy play and look at the fact he's always at the top in steals and assists and tell he isn't "overrated".
Old 05-18-14, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

he is over rated to be called by the media pundits as the Best Point Guard in the league!
Old 05-18-14, 05:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real View Post
I didn't say he was the best PG in the league neither did I say he wasn't. I took issue with him being "overrated" because he's "never been out of the second round". That is what I said was a weak basis for an argument.

I was just pointing out that there wasn't much opportunity to advance past the 2nd round in New Orleans when your most notable teammates are Okafor and David West. As for the Clippers, they are just now comin into their own. TP fell into a good situation when he landed on a championship contender in his rookie season. CP3 didn't have that luxury. Now if he hasn't achieved that after several years with a contendin Clipper team, that would be a problem. What would we be sayin about TP had he landed in New Orleans? It's easy to say this guy or that guy hasn't been to the WC Finals but it's not always a fair assessment. People in the know can watch the guy play and look at the fact he's always at the top in steals and assists and tell he isn't "overrated".
It is difficult to know what TP would have been if he landed in NO because Pop basically built TP from scratch. You have to judge players for where they are not what they could have been.

Just because we say Paul is overrated doesn't mean we think he isn't a great player. The thing is Paul is regularly regarded as the third best player in the league, and that has been the case since way back when the Spurs won the last championship lead by one Tony Parker.

Chris Paul has had plenty of good teammates, Tyson Chandler, David West, Emeka Okafor, Blake Griffin (third in MVP voting this year by the way), J Crawfor, etc, etc.

At some point, you have to put up or shut up. Name me one elite perennial all-star who hasn't made it out of the second round since 1990. And before you say Tracy McGrady, I will remind you that he's played in the NBA finals , so there. I can't think of one, so if y'all can, maybe, just maybe I'll start to reconsider.
Old 05-19-14, 03:55 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
It is difficult to know what TP would have been if he landed in NO because Pop basically built TP from scratch. You have to judge players for where they are not what they could have been.

Just because we say Paul is overrated doesn't mean we think he isn't a great player. The thing is Paul is regularly regarded as the third best player in the league, and that has been the case since way back when the Spurs won the last championship lead by one Tony Parker.

Chris Paul has had plenty of good teammates, Tyson Chandler, David West, Emeka Okafor, Blake Griffin (third in MVP voting this year by the way), J Crawfor, etc, etc.

At some point, you have to put up or shut up. Name me one elite perennial all-star who hasn't made it out of the second round since 1990. And before you say Tracy McGrady, I will remind you that he's played in the NBA finals , so there. I can't think of one, so if y'all can, maybe, just maybe I'll start to reconsider.
Well Chris Paul will eventually make it out of the seoncd, round. I dont think melo ever made it out of the second round. Kevin Garnett and ray allen never made it until they went to boston. Macgrady got lucky he was picked up by the spurs. Yao probably never made it. David Robinson didnt make it until TD came. Did George Gervin make it past the second Round?

Old 05-19-14, 04:17 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Well Chris Paul will eventually make it out of the seoncd, round. I dont think melo ever made it out of the second round. Kevin Garnett and ray allen never made it until they went to boston. Macgrady got lucky he was picked up by the spurs. Yao probably never made it. David Robinson didnt make it until TD came. Did George Gervin make it past the second Round?

Gervin made it a few times including a complete meltdown in 78 when they were up 3-1 against the Bullets and in the 80s when the Lakers ruled, and Robinson once when Hakeem destroyed him in the Conference Finals.

Garnett went one year when they had Spreewell, Ray Allen once with the Bucks, and yes Melo went once with the Nuggets.

I'm not trying to get into this argument, just providing some facts.
Old 05-19-14, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

CP is a very good player but he looked horrendous in the last minute of game 5 vs OKC. Forget the silly tap on Westbrook's forearm, to not even get a shot up with 6 seconds left is just pathetic. Those moments are what make the great ones great, and Paul failed miserably.

Last edited by necron 99; 05-19-14 at 03:04 PM.