News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-14-14, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Greg Monroe...

Looks like he's on his way out of Detroit according to new head coach SVG. I know Gasol is thinking about San Antonio as one of his future teams, but could this be a blessing in disguise? I don't know if he's restricted or unrestricted. But I'd take that young talent over Gasol. On a side note... Is Leonards contact up this year?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-14, 05:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Not overly athletic from what I've seen but is a banger and skilled from midrange in. Overshadowed by Drummond, but I remember seeing him before Drummond hit the scene and I've liked him since.

Leonard's contract is up next year.

Last edited by jackc852; 05-14-14 at 05:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-14, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Monroe would be a welcomed consolation prize to gasol service IMO. He's still raw and needs fine tuning. Can still make silly mistakes but that talent is assuredly there

- Confucius
Old 05-14-14, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Monroe would be better than Gasol, he is young enough to build into the new team structure where Gasol would be an older offensive upgrade to Tiago to put beside TD.

Offence is not the key to prolonging and complementing TD and what we have, defence is which we have in Tiago.

I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth as if we get Gasol for the right price Pop and co will implement a strategy to get the best out of him and it may work really well..... but what we have now works really well and if we can prolong TD better in this option then thats the one I am up for.
Old 05-14-14, 08:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Monroe would be a welcomed consolation prize to gasol service IMO. He's still raw and needs fine tuning. Can still make silly mistakes but that talent is assuredly there
I just think you could soak up so much from the best PF before he retires and that youth with K-DUB would be a great piece in the direction that we hope to be going in A.D. (After Duncan). Manus money coming off and still have a nice core. Flip a couple pieces or land a nice free agent 2 guard and we're in business.
Old 05-15-14, 09:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Monroe is going to be overpaid. David Faulk, his agent, is going to ask for a max contract. Even if no one gives him a max contract, he doesn't deserve even close to a max deal IMHO.

I think the Spurs wisely will only pay someone a max contract type money if they are the type of player (see Tim Duncan) who can lead a team to a championship. Monroe is not that type of player (See Detroit's record). If Tony Parker doesn't deserve a max contract in the Spurs eyes, Greg Monroe never will.

There is no chance we get Greg Monroe.

Don't get me wrong. Monroe is a great talent . . . . . just not the type of talent that you build a team around.
Old 05-15-14, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'm wondering (just wondering...don't flame me) if the Spurs don't already have much of what Monroe might bring (at a much lower cost) in Baynes.

Baynes has been in the system for more than a year. He looks like a standard white-boy banger, but there are flashes of strength, mobility and a nice little shooting touch from 12' in. He's not a star, but Monroe may not be either---and Monroe will cost a ton.
Old 05-15-14, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Old 05-15-14, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I'm wondering (just wondering...don't flame me) if the Spurs don't already have much of what Monroe might bring (at a much lower cost) in Baynes.

Baynes has been in the system for more than a year. He looks like a standard white-boy banger, but there are flashes of strength, mobility and a nice little shooting touch from 12' in. He's not a star, but Monroe may not be either---and Monroe will cost a ton.
Baynes doesn't have Monroe's skill set, plus who in the Detroit organization is actually coaching that guy to make him better? He sure isn't going against great competition in practice. It's safe to say our coaches could do wonders with him.
Old 05-15-14, 04:33 PM
The Master Baiter

Even if the Spurs WANT to overpay a good free agent big man, that big man has to want to come to SA. Spurs fans need to accept the fact that any decent big man is going to get overpaid, and if they are going to ever have an All Star caliber big man on the roster, it's going to have to happen through the draft.
Old 05-15-14, 07:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

When I brought up his name a few weeks back in the which FA or trade would you want thread, I figured it'd be a long shot. That opinion hasn't changed but he would be a great addition if there were a way to land him without breaking the bank.

Old 05-15-14, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Tony Mejia: Stan Van Gundy's first day on the job in Detroit featured a phone call with Greg Monroe's agent, David Falk. Talk about diving right in. Twitter @TonyMejiaNBA

Vincent Goodwill: SVG on Monroe: "I had a lengthy talk with David Falk. I want them to know I value him highly." Twitter @vgoodwill
Old 05-15-14, 10:17 PM
Herman Cain of the board

If Splitter got 10 million per......Monroe should get 50 million per
Old 05-15-14, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The playing field changes now with Steve VanGundy on board. He understands the difference between potential talent and prima donnas. I doubt that VanGundy would have signed on if Dumars was going to have to approve his choices. He's been there, done that.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 05-15-14 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 11:33 PM
SR Team Goof

I think there's going to be a whole lot of shaking going on in the motor city.