News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-14-14, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Goat to Hero

The last minute was nauseating enough but it took a bonehead foul by Chris Paul (really, that hand tap is a foul?) to make Westbrooks pitiful 3 point shot into the game winner.

And yes Doc, you were robbed, but with the way your team was playing it still would not have guaranteed the win.
Old 05-14-14, 12:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I thought the hand was part of the ball!

NBA replay is a bunch of crap. Get rid of it.
Old 05-14-14, 12:35 PM
SR Team Goof

Referees and their 'decisions' are playing a major role in the outcome of these playoffs. There seems to be no consistency throughout all the games, regardless of who plays............let 'em play, touch foul, getting mugged, I didn't touch him. Maybe they should call a flagrant one on all calls to view the replays. I'm with you Chopps, get rid of it cause it's slowing the game down and causing the refs to fall back on it when there's doubt. The refs are losing what little trust they have from the coaches and players. The NBA was much more fun when there was only two refs --- the players came out of the game a little more bruised and tattered but the game progressed and there were less arguments with the refs.
Old 05-14-14, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

lets face it: NBA wants lebron vs durant finals...
Old 05-14-14, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If any of you think that you are better than the NBA officials then please, stop posting complaints on the internet and put in a job application and tryout because if it is as easy as you think it is to officiate basketball, then that will be the easiest 6 figure job you've ever had. And I don't mean to take out my rant on the people who post on this board, I'm just tired of the constant ceaseless never ending whining about officiating and how every official is secretly biased against whatever team you root for and how almost every game is sabotaged by the officials against your favorite team.

ENOUGH!!!!!!

I've got a news flash for y'all. These guys out there are the best basketball referees in the world. You could fire this entire group of NBA officials and replace them with the next best group of referees and instead of them getting 92% of the calls right, they'll get 90%. The funniest/most pathetic suggestion I keep hearing is that officials should be fined or suspended when they blow calls. The officials observe plays and make judgement calls. Can anyone explain to me how their ability to interpret what their eyes can see is going to be any better if they have the threat of sanctions hanging over their head. If a ref is out of position or doesn't know the rules or interprets them wrong, then yeah, that is something that is in their control and training/sanctions is warranted, but in 99.9% of the cases where people moan about the refs, it isn't something tangible like that, it is that they just didn't like their judgement.

I used to get all worked up over the officials back in the day until I realized one simple fact. You know the old saying, 'If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?'. Well, in basketball, if a foul occurs and no referee sees it, is it actually a foul? The answer to that is No. A foul only exists when it is called by the official whether or not it really occurred. Players like Manu, Wade, Paul, LeBron, etc, etc, realized this long long ago and it is why they don't hesitate to exaggerate contact and what not to try to get calls and it's why they are reviled as floppers, etc by people who are not fans of their teams. The league used to have a good system to go after the most egregious examples, and I would like to see them go back to it and strengthen it, but other than that I'm not going to get all worked up about missed calls; I'm just going to understand them for what they are which is just like getting bad cards in poker and enjoy the game.

Last edited by b1gdon; 05-14-14 at 03:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-14, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I thought the hand was part of the ball!

NBA replay is a bunch of crap. Get rid of it.
The refs got the out of bounds play call right.

NBA Rule 8, section II, paragraph c:
"The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out, provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player caused it to go out. If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession"

Last edited by scarlet; 05-14-14 at 03:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-14, 10:20 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Can anyone explain to me how their ability to interpret what their eyes can see is going to be any better if they have the threat of sanctions hanging over their head.
... And to make your argument even more solid, the reality is that these NBA Refs are held accountable eache end every game by a team back at NBA HQ that watches and monitors their performance and even sends them game tapes and notes after every single game. In fact, during the playoffs, only THE MOST accurate officials are allowed to advance to the next round, so in essence, there are financial incentives towards making the correct calls already... Unless, of course, you believe that every call or game is pre-determined. Then this whole system is a sham.

As to the "blown call" in the OKC-Clippers game, the poster who pointed out the rule above is correct. OKC was awarded possession because the refs were following the rules and because during the replays, nothing new or substantial was observed to overturn the original call.