News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-14, 09:37 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Second Round Game 4 Spurs at Blazers Game Thread (Monday 9:30)

Mon, May 12
9:30
Moda Center at the Rose Quarter - Portland, Oregon

San Antonio Spurs
(62-20)

at

Portland Trail Blazers
(54-28)

Spurs-Trail Blazers Preview
By ANNE M. PETERSON, Associated Press Last Updated: Sun, May 11 7:14 ET

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) The intensity and focus that has the Spurs rolling 3-0 over Portland in the Western Conference semifinals can be traced to their Game 3 loss to Dallas in the first round.

Vince Carter hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer and the Mavericks went up 2-1. But San Antonio simply was not going to concede the opening round after last season's disappointing Game 7 loss to the Miami Heat for the NBA title.

''Down 2-1, Dallas really made it a series. They played great basketball - everybody was playing very well on that team and they made it hard on us,'' Spurs guard Tony Parker said. ''In Game 7 you have to show up because if you don't the season's over. I think we learned from it and so far, we're playing good.''

Boris Diaw also pointed to the Dallas series, which San Antonio won with a 119-96 victory in the deciding Game 7.

''We had our back against the wall and we had to play good,'' he said. ''We've been playing the same way since then - so probably a turning point for us.''

On Monday night the Spurs will try to dispatch the Trail Blazers in four games - and hopefully get some rest before the conference finals against the winner of the other semifinal between Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Clippers.

''This is as well as I've seen them play all season,'' Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts said. ''By Game 7 against Dallas, they came out of the gate and they haven't stopped since then.''

No team has ever lost a seven-game NBA playoff series after going up 3-0.

The Blazers were the last team to take a series to seven games after dropping the first three. Portland rebounded in the first round against Dallas in 2003 but ultimately lost the first-round series' deciding game.

Parker scored 29 points in San Antonio's 118-103 Game 3 victory on Saturday night. The Spurs had routed the Blazers 116-92 in the series opener after their grueling series against the Mavericks, then built a 20-point lead and won Game 2, 114-97.

Parker has scored 29 or more points in three of his last four playoff games. He had 20 points in the first half alone in Game 3 against Portland. In the 119-96 Game 7 victory over the Mavericks, he poured in 32.

The Spurs have managed to slow down Portland All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge, who averaged 29.8 points in the first round against the Houston Rockets.

The Blazers have been hurt by the loss of backup point guard Mo Williams to a groin injury. Williams has provided both energy and points off the bench all season in relief of Damian Lillard.

His absence was noticeable in Saturday night's loss, with Portland getting just six points from its bench.

''Monday is a new game, and we are confident we are capable of winning,'' Lillard said. ''It is also about our pride. We do not want to come out here and get swept. We still believe we can win a game - we have to come out here and play like it.''

Portland advanced to the second round for the first time in 14 years by defeating the Rockets in six games, clinching the series with Lillard's amazing 3-pointer at the buzzer at home for a 99-98 victory in the deciding game.

The Spurs have a 3-2 series advantage over Portland in the playoffs, sweeping the previous meeting in the 1999 conference finals. The teams split the regular-season series 2-2.

''We'd love to close this thing out,'' San Antonio's Tim Duncan said. ''We've had pretty decent control of it throughout and we want to finish it the right way and get some rest.''
Old 05-12-14, 09:56 AM
The Master Baiter

If any of these games had been close, I would say that the Spurs were due for a letdown, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-14, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
If any of these games had been close, I would say that the Spurs were due for a letdown, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Execution-wise I agree but a bad shooting night for the Spurs and a good one for the Blazers sometimes happens.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-12-14, 02:21 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Execution-wise I agree but a bad shooting night for the Spurs and a good one for the Blazers sometimes happens.

True, but they haven't been shooting above average either and they are still getting a lot of paints in the paint. They've just dominated. So even if they have a bad shooting night from 3, I think they can still win. But I better shut up before I jinx it.
Old 05-12-14, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Watch the refs. If they let the players play, I don't see that Portland has an answer for what's happening to them.

But during the early part of Game 3's third quarter, lots of foul calls at the Portland end and non-calls at the SA end whittled a 20 point Spur lead to single digits.
Old 05-12-14, 04:50 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs will again DICTATE that TEMPO!
Blazers are DONE and they know it deep down!

Spurs will win tonight and put the Blazers out of their misery! Lsmirk

Time for another SPURS GRIND it TIGHT DEFENSE SPURS TEAM BALL!!!

Spurs 105
Blazers 98

Go Spurs Go!
blazers SPURS
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 05-12-14, 06:14 PM
SR Team Goof

I am very happy the Spurs answered their wakeup call in game #7 against Dallas because if they hadnít and just squeaked by to win, we wouldnít be looking at a 3-0 count right now. If our guys continue to play with purpose, stayed focused, continue to hit the boards, limit the Blazers offensive rebounds and keep those nasty turnovers to a minimum, there should be a lot of folks cruisiní Commerce St downtown tonight.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 05-12-14, 09:11 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

GO GO

Old 05-12-14, 10:21 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

END OF 1ST QTR - SPURS 24 - BLAZERS 29

Old 05-12-14, 10:54 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

END OF 2ND QTR - SPURS 48 - BLAZERS 50

Old 05-12-14, 10:59 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

We can win!
[email protected]
Old 05-12-14, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

spurs 106 blazers 103
Old 05-12-14, 11:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't want to blow Pops cover but at 3/4 time it seems as though he is not pushing all out for the win and would prefer less "rust time" before the next series.... I will remove the tinfoil hat now but just saying the reserves are playing more than usual without the usual run.....
Old 05-13-14, 12:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nice win for Portland.... Too bad it was just a farewell party.
Old 05-13-14, 12:39 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Game over, lets get them in game 5.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-13-14, 01:05 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
I don't want to blow Pops cover but at 3/4 time it seems as though he is not pushing all out for the win and would prefer less "rust time" before the next series.... I will remove the tinfoil hat now but just saying the reserves are playing more than usual without the usual run.....
Agreed. He wasn't as angry as he had been in the games they were blowing them out. I was more angry than he was. Seems like he set them up for failure with the intention of refocusing them. They were still in it until the 4th, and he put in the 3rd string half way through. No excuse for Manu though.
Old 05-13-14, 01:31 AM

WTF WAS THAT HALF ARSE SPURS JOB!

WTF is TRY to win!

Spurs just tried to win!

You gotta be sh!iting me with this half arse job done in Portland!

Spurs mentality coming to this game 4 as if it was game 1 and Blazers were supposed to roll over and let them win!

Whereas Blazers came out with a little above average energy as a natural facing elimination reaction. Of course an elimination game is always tough to close... No one knows as my Spurs after that disappointing game 7 exit last year... All Spurs needed was to put their BOOTS on dos BLAZERS head and stump them! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Spurs chose to play it soft and leave it to finish in SA!!!

So result: Spurs lost! And DESERVING so!

If you play SELFISH basketball without that tough TEAM concept and without following the game plan you will lose.

If you can not match BAD with UGLY you will lose!!!

WAS that half arse job the BEST MY Spurs could come up with??????

Well MEMO to Spurs: YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO COME UP WITH MUCH BETTER THAN THIS!

GAME 5 is SA is going to be WAR.... WAR!!! WAR!!!
GAME 5 = GAME 7 Yes! Treat it as Game 7.

Blazers see you in SA! Where My Spurs will finish you!
Blazers you are going down in game 5. Don't ever think you won any Sh!t by winning game 4..... You have to win on the road baby and that aint going to happen here at our HOME whereas we have our LOUDER ARENA than yours! and we can do better HOME cooking than yours!
:fork

Go SPURS GO!
LETS GO back to our SPURS DOMINATION and EXECUTING GAME PLANS!

Go SPURS GO!

blazers SPURS

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 05-13-14, 01:35 AM
SR Team Goof

Also agree. Manu didn't look right, passes were off, shots were short. I thought I saw the Spurs had only 7 assists midway through 3rd quarter and everybody was missing layups or short shots around the rim. I'm thinking they might have been told they had a cushion but if the game wasn't there for the taking, not to get hurt, give some effort but don't expend must energy. Given the FG% they were shooting, they probably were lucky it wasn't a blowout a lot earlier. Back to the AT&T Center and the home crowd. Let's end this and get some rest.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 05-13-14, 01:47 AM

Yep!
Spurs needed a wake up call!
This should keep them from feeling a bit of over confident had they swept!
Now Spurs need to come back to being Spurs who came out of a loss and took game 7 vs Dallas and play inspired basketball with a lot of PACING themselves and never get rattled and controlling that game TEMPO and Grinding it with a much bad-ass DEFENSIVE EFFORT!!!

There is no doubt in my mind game 5 is going to be won by our SPURS!

I will be there at the game too to be a witness!

Go Spurs Go!
No Way not in our HOME!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 05-13-14, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Rookie

As everybody here, I expected we should had swept the blazes, but this is a very good team and they played as they are capable of. of course, i am dissapointed but is ok if we win wednesday (as we should) next series doesnt start until saturday, that is 3 days rest, i think perfect , good rest, will not lose any rythm and it if goes seven betweend okc and clips then monday is the first game. i think the spurs know this, rather play one more "real game" than practice.ha