News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-14, 03:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Gasol wants to play for a contender-- considers Spurs a good option

Lakers center Pau Gasol says he will give priority to title contenders as the countdown to his free agency continues.

“I’m not ruling anything out,” said Gasol, speaking in Spanish during a video interview with Spanish sports website marca.com. “Of course, I hope the Lakers will make an offer - one that is good enough for me to consider - but I’m open to any offers that I would consider interesting and motivating for my present and my future.”

In response to a reader’s question, Gasol, who will become a free agent on July 1, said Memphis may be a good landing spot. “The city of Memphis attracts me because it’s a city I know, there’s an opportunity of playing with my brother and they have a solid team,” Gasol said.

He also gave a nod to Western Conference rivals the San Antonio Spurs. “The Spurs players maybe don’t rack up statistics, but the team and the coach they have, to me, seems like a very good option,” he said. “In the end, I’m more interested in a team than an individual player and how I would adjust and be worked into a system.”

Pau Gasol will give priority to title contenders when he chooses team*-*Los Angeles Times
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-14, 03:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dan McCarney: Interesting news about Gasol interest in Spurs. Have $53 million in guaranteed money with cap projected at $63 million. Twitter @danmccarneysaen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-14, 07:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs players maybe dont rack up statistics, but the team and the coach they have, to me, seems like a very good option, he said. In the end, Im more interested in a team than an individual player and how I would adjust and be worked into a system.

This sounds just like when a player says " It's not about the money " Personally I would much rather have his brother !!!!

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 05-10-14, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Would be a welcomed addition. A big who can pass and bang down low or shoot the mid range. Could play alongside any of current frontcourt guys. If we being over deshaun Thomas or Adam hanga on the cheap and take care of the SF position, we may be able to secure gasols services while possibly retaining mills and Diaw

- Confucius
Old 05-10-14, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Even at this late stage in his career, I would welcome Pau with open arms. It is hard to believe he will sign for less than what LAL can give him
Old 05-10-14, 02:53 PM
SR Team Goof

Ill jump on the band wagon for Pau wearing the silver and black as well. He still has that mid-range shot and can bang occasionally when needed, offer a little defense if needed and he has said hes interested in the Spurs for what they can provide him good coaching, teamwork and a perennial playoff team. I just want to know what the number is on the piece of paper his agent will push across the table to RC and Peter Holt listing what Gasols salary demands will be. I dont want to break the bank on this guy when younger legs and cheaper salaries can be had.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 05-10-14, 02:58 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

blah! Another player using the Spurs as leverage.

Old 05-10-14, 03:14 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

I dont know, I think Memphis should jump at this option.
Id take him with the right circumstances happily, but I just dont see it happening
Old 05-10-14, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Ill jump on the band wagon for Pau wearing the silver and black as well. He still has that mid-range shot and can bang occasionally when needed, offer a little defense if needed and he has said hes interested in the Spurs for what they can provide him good coaching, teamwork and a perennial playoff team. I just want to know what the number is on the piece of paper his agent will push across the table to RC and Peter Holt listing what Gasols salary demands will be. I dont want to break the bank on this guy when younger legs and cheaper salaries can be had.
What they think they can push over R.C's desk and what they know about our history for not overpaying guys is another thing. He either takes a decent amount of money... Less than Duncan, about 7-8 million or just keep it pushing to another team that will overpay him and won't be in the position the Spurs will be next year. I'll take him in a minute, but not at the expense of screwing with team concept, chemistry and future funds.
Old 05-10-14, 06:40 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
What they think they can push over R.C's desk and what they know about our history for not overpaying guys is another thing. He either takes a decent amount of money... Less than Duncan, about 7-8 million or just keep it pushing to another team that will overpay him and won't be in the position the Spurs will be next year. I'll take him in a minute, but not at the expense of screwing with team concept, chemistry and future funds.
Amen brother.

"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 05-10-14, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
Exactly !!! This guy is BS ... Lets see what happens when someone throws dumbass money at him !!!!

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 05-10-14, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post

TRUTH
Old 05-11-14, 01:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

If we can somehow manage to keep our current roster,and add Gasol,we would be instant favorites to win the the championship.Right now our only weak spot is a good backup big man. Pop has been using boris diaw,who is like 6'7 guarding trying to guard 7 footers.
Old 05-11-14, 02:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
If we can somehow manage to keep our current roster,and add Gasol,we would be instant favorites to win the the championship.Right now our only weak spot is a good backup big man. Pop has been using boris diaw,who is like 6'7 guarding trying to guard 7 footers.
No, the Spurs have had no problem matching up with size (see Memphis the last two years). The issue is length. The spurs have yet to prove they can match up against long wings like kd. Unfortunately Pau doesn't answer that problem. Don't get me wrong, if he stays healthy, I would like our chances to if he signs with us,,but I the main. problem we need to address is length.
Old 05-11-14, 08:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
No, the Spurs have had no problem matching up with size (see Memphis the last two years). The issue is length. The spurs have yet to prove they can match up against long wings like kd. Unfortunately Pau doesn't answer that problem. Don't get me wrong, if he stays healthy, I would like our chances to if he signs with us,,but I the main. problem we need to address is length.
I really wanted AK47 last year, his length and defensive prowess would have been great for us to either back up K2 or as a small ball 4. Hell he hasn't even got many minutes in Brooklyn. But maybe the development of Daye or our overseas guys will help that issue next year.
Old 05-11-14, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

he'll end up with the clippers or heat. lol
Old 05-11-14, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
We have kawhi leonard , boris diaw , and maybe danny green to defend KD. You really cant get better than that. The only other defender better than kawhi is probably lebron.
Old 05-12-14, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'll settle for Pau but I would rather have his younger bother Marc! When is Marc's contract up!