News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-14, 06:16 PM
SR Team Goof

Why are Spurs up 2-0 on Trail Blazers? Thank Tiago Splitter.

Nice article on NBCSports (ProBasketTalk):

Tiago Splitter was one of the most hyped European transfers in a long time when the Brazilian big man came to the NBA — he was the Spanish league MVP, another in a long line of steals from the Spurs front office. Except he got here and didn’t exactly take the NBA by storm.

Gregg Popovich limited his minutes and said he’s a future role player in the league.

Splitter has find his NBA game now, and while he is not a transcendent star he is integral to what the Spurs do and is a huge reason the Spurs are up 2-0 on the Trail Blazers.

Last round LaMarcus Aldridge tore apart the Houston Rockets, forced them to go to a two-bigs lineup with Dwight Howard and Omer Asik, still shot 47.9 percent and had an offensive rating of 115 (points per 100 possessions used in that series). (Stats compiled by the NBA’s Sports VU cameras, via the great John Schuhmann of that site).

Splitter has drawn the Aldridge assignment this series and through two games Aldridge is 8-of-25 when Splitter is on him. In Game 2 Aldridge was 1-of-9 from his preferred left block spot with Splitter on him. The Spurs have contested 38 of Aldridge’s shots in two games (he has hit 15), left him uncontested for just 10. They are making him work for his points.

So many good things flow out of this for the Spurs. First, Splitter single-covering Aldridge lets the other Spurs defenders stay home on three point shooters, lessening that weapon that the Blazers rely on. Second, those missed shots become transition opportunities for the Spurs, who have destroyed the Blazers early in the clock before their defense is set this series.

Behind Aldridge and Lillard, the Blazers have no other shot creators. They don’t have Manu Ginobili to turn to this series and that depth has been a big issue through two games.

Heading back home to Portland, the Blazers will make adjustments — as Schuhmann noted at NBA.com, when Aldridge curled into the lane off a pindown he got good looks. Portland can’t just throw the ball to him in the post now, they have to have him getting the ball on the move.

The Blazers will do it, but it takes them out of their traditional rhythm, their comfort zone.

And that is what the Spurs do well, make you uncomfortable with what you prefer to do.
Splitter is a big part of that this series.

Link to article: Why are Spurs up 2-0 on Trail Blazers? Thank Tiago Splitter. | ProBasketballTalk
Old 05-09-14, 06:22 PM
SR Team Goof

In regards to Splitter and borrowing from WWII Japanese General Yamamoto's famous quote, "I fear these 2014 NBA playoffs has awaken a sleeping giant."

And again in regards to Splitter and borrowing from Butch Cassidy/Sundance Kid flick: "Who is that guy"?.
Old 05-09-14, 06:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He is the Lone Ranger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-14, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He has played great... Especially on offense and offensive rebounding... But I'm thanking a lot more than just splitter... Mills, BELINELLI, ect... And most of all... Kawhi Leonard.... Team effort....
Old 05-10-14, 01:52 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

The Brazilian Blitzkrieg. He is Brazilian with German roots and a tank of guy who, when inspired, played hellacious defense on opposing bigs.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-14, 04:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Whatever the reason, the Spurs are on a dominant run that started with a 23-point win in Game 7 against Dallas and continued Thursday with their second consecutive shellacking of the Trail Blazers, this time 114-97 in Game 2 of their Western Conference semifinal series at the AT&T Center. The victory came two nights after a 24-point win in Game 1. “The aggressiveness, the concentration for 48 minutes -- off the charts,” guard Manu Ginobili said. “So we are very happy with that, and hopefully, we maintain this.”

Spurs beginning to regain their dominant form as they again shellack Trail Blazers | OregonLive.com
Old 05-10-14, 08:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The whole team seems like they woke up out of the slumber they were in in round 1. Let's ride this to the championship.

But as for Tiago, He is proving that his contract wasn't stupid and he deserves the money he is earning. He has an ugly as hell offensive game, but his productivity on defense is huge. When we play against teams with good big men, Tiago becomes indispensable.

Now, if we end up playing the Thunder and the Heat, Tiago will probably not have as much an impact.
Old 05-10-14, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
The whole team seems like they woke up out of the slumber they were in in round 1. Let's ride this to the championship.

But as for Tiago, He is proving that his contract wasn't stupid and he deserves the money he is earning. He has an ugly as hell offensive game, but his productivity on defense is huge. When we play against teams with good big men, Tiago becomes indispensable.

Now, if we end up playing the Thunder and the Heat, Tiago will probably not have as much an impact.
Tiago could do half of what he is doing now against OKC and I would be happy...he has always been terrible against OKC... But I expected him to be terrible against Aldridge.... The offensive rebounds splitter has been getting to is what is really opening my eyes... Last time I remember a guy help our team like that was 2007 and all of those tap outs oberto bailed us out with.. I Hope splitter keeps it up.
Old 05-10-14, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Against OKC, Tiago is going to have to guard Ibaka's jumper and box him out. He has trouble getting his shot off against Ibaka and needs to leave his half-ass hooks at home. a lay-up or a pass is all I want to see out of him on the offensive end.
Old 05-10-14, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
Against OKC, Tiago is going to have to guard Ibaka's jumper and box him out. He has trouble getting his shot off against Ibaka and needs to leave his half-ass hooks at home. a lay-up or a pass is all I want to see out of him on the offensive end.
So, I would argue Aldridge is better at everything on the offensive end than ibaka. Tiago seems to be holding his own against Aldridge... On offense, Yea Tiago will have a tough time... I think?
Old 05-11-14, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think against OKC, Tiago just needs to keep moving around , I mean Memphis almost beat this team with basically no offense, I think someone like bynes should play in this series, gotta go after those rebounds, no second shots for okc or they will kill you. keep those fisher, adams and collision under control and spurs win. Durant, westbrook at some point ibaka will get theirs, but not everybody else. by the way , we still need to win one more against Portland.ha