News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-14, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs will "Dirk" LaMarcus Aldridge (with Tiago)

I caught this article on BleacherReport, and I want to go out on a limb and predict that Tiago (and Diaw) significantly lower Aldridge's field goal percentage.

San Antonio Is Able to 'Dirk' LaMarcus AldridgeUSA TODAY Sports
The San Antonio Spurs did a pretty masterful job of negating Dirk Nowitzki's effect on their first-round series.

It is impossible to stop a player like Nowitzki from getting his numbers, but how you force him to get them is what can be the difference in a series. The Spurs were physical in bodying up with the Dallas Mavericks star, forcing him to shoot just 42.9 percent in the series. That included a 1-of-12 performance from beyond the arc and an 8-of-21 night in their blowout finale.

In the second round, San Antonio will see LaMarcus Aldridge, a younger and more athletic power forward but with similar abilities as the man they just sent packing.

Aldridge put in 47.9 percent of his shots against the Houston Rockets en route to averaging 29.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game. That was an incredible performance after setting a mind-blowing tone for the series in Games 1 and 2.

Gregg Popovich and the Spurs surely took notice and will have to tweak their defense a little bit. However, much of what gave Nowitzki fits will also cause problems for Aldridge. In the end, the Trail Blazers star's numbers should look a bit more like Nowitzki's by series' end.

HERE is the link to the article.
Old 05-05-14, 01:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Dirk is a far better shooter than Aldridge, but Aldridge is much more athletic than Dirk in this stage of their career. He will be more adept at driving the ball and creating problems. The pick and roll with Lillard and Aldridge is gonna cause the Spurs a lot of heartache.

$
Old 05-05-14, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I wish....

Seems like everyone shut Dirk down last night... Especially diaw.. Aldridge is a different animal.
Old 05-05-14, 04:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I say: let Aldridge gets his and make sure lopez and mo williams of the world dont get extra rebounds, steals , hustle points and whip/pass that BBall like is hot. we do this we win the series
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-14, 04:13 PM
The Master Baiter

That's just silly. They may try it, but it won't work. Aldridge does have a midrange jumper, and he's much more athletic. They have a better chance of putting KY on him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-14, 04:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would love for Aldridge to score 25 ppg while shooting 42%. If we get him shooting a lot and scoring a lot, but being inefficient, I think we will easily win.
Old 05-05-14, 05:01 PM
SR Team Goof

Game 7 against Dallas was the only game that the Spurs appeared to resemble the regular season Spurs. They came to play game #7. If they can play focused, play good team defense, limit their turnovers and work the ball, they should not have very many problems. We all saw first hand how turnovers allowed Dallas to stay in the games or ahead at times. However, Aldridge presents a whole different beast than Nowitzki. Though they are comparable shooters, Aldridge hits the boards harder, plays a much better defense and passes very well for a big. And we have to watch out for the occasional alley-oop. We have to guard Lillard as soon as he crosses midcourt and we need to play tough D against Mo Williams whenever he is on the court since he seems to feed on the Spurs. As we progress through each round, the opposition gets a whole lot tougher and the Spurs need to step up as a 'team'. IMHO. Go Spurs!!
Old 05-05-14, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I would love for Aldridge to score 25 ppg while shooting 42%. If we get him shooting a lot and scoring a lot, but being inefficient, I think we will easily win.
Depends on if he is averaging 15 rebs or not. I think we win the series in 6..but they aren't just Aldridge... They have other guys that can play.
Old 05-05-14, 05:19 PM
SR Team Goof

Agree TimmyD. Contrary to popular belief, the Blazers do have a deep bench and they do have their individual moments when one or more shine coming off that bench.
Old 05-05-14, 05:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Agree TimmyD. Contrary to popular belief, the Blazers do have a deep bench and they do have their individual moments when one or more shine coming off that bench.
+1

It reminds me that while our bench scored the most points per game than any other teams bench, our bench also played the most minutes.

I wonder where our bench stacks up per 48

and where their bench stacks up in per 48
Old 05-05-14, 06:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
+1

It reminds me that while our bench scored the most points per game than any other teams bench, our bench also played the most minutes.

I'd like to know to... But those figures are out the door. Our bench was garbage last series and if they play like that again, it's curtains for our guys. It's our bench that makes us special and they need to be extra special from here on out to make and win the finals.
Old 05-05-14, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
+1

I don't know how legitimate this site is. Hoopsstats.com has SA as the 3rd best bench per 48, and Portland at 22.

In the playoffs, us at 5 and Portland at 13.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...s/14/7/pts/8-3
Old 05-05-14, 08:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Aldridge always seems to get off against the Spurs and he's going to come in with that confidence. I also Batum hurts us too. Hopefully Pop and team will use that Dallas warm up as a bell ringer to come out strong on D, move the ball on O and cut off the TO's - then we win!
Old 05-07-14, 06:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Looks like the Dirking of Aldridge only worked for the 1st half.

Seems like he started figuring out how to score on the Spurs in teh 2nd half.

BUT IT WAS TOOO LATE!

It it will be interesting to see if the Blazers other players can step up.

I am somewhat worried Aldridge will be able to score at will and get any foul call he wants in the next game.

GO ARON BAYNES!
Old 05-07-14, 09:11 AM
The Master Baiter

I have a feeling Aldridge will get his points, only because he is superior in athleticism to anyone on the Spurs. Batum and Lilliard can be matched and bothered by a few people.
Old 05-08-14, 11:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Seems Dirking is lasting longer than twerking.... heyooooo.

But seriously though to take a guy who started with two 40 plus games last series and restrict him to 6 of 23 shots and 16 points should again be acknowledged and Go Tiago you good thing