News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-14, 11:46 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Shaquille 'Shaq' O'Neal prompts outrage after instagram picture posting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ns-selfie.html

NBA legend Shaquille 'Shaq' O'Neal has prompted outrage by apparently posting an Instagram photo which mocked a man with a rare genetic condition.

Jahmel Binion, whose ectodermal dysplasia hinders his ability to grow teeth and hair, was dumbfounded when thousands of internet users imitated and mocked a selfie he took.

They included Shaq, who has now apparently deleted the Instagram photo - which said 'SMILE TODAY' - and uploaded one comparing himself to the cartoon ogre Shrek.

But the move was too late to stop a storm of comments from many of Shaq's 500,000 followers on Instagram and 8.3million on Twitter.

The controversy comes after criticism of another top figure in basketball, billionaire LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who is embroiled in a racial discrimination row.

Many Instagram and Twitter users today demanded Shaq apologised for the photo.

And instead of hiding away, 23-year-old Mr Binion has used the publicity to start a campaign to raise awareness of his condition.

Called Hug Don't Judge, a Facebook page for his campaign has gained more than 3,500 fans and been flooded with photos by parents whose children have the same disorder.

The description reads: 'This page is to support my anti-bulling and cyber bullying organization.

'Please be respectful, be positive and share this with the world. Time to make a difference.'

Mr Binion, 23, told My Fox Detroit: 'I've been getting teased since I was yea tall - people laugh at me, stare at me.

'I was kinda hurt because I look up to him and I watch Shaq play basketball so I was like, why is he making fun of me when he's supposed to be this role model?'

'I can't let it get to me, then I get hurt and depressed, so I keep my mind positive.'

The storm prompted the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias to write an open letter to the NBA legend.

Executive director Mary Fete said there were more than 180 forms of the condition and many left sufferers with missing teeth and unable to sweat.

She wrote: 'You might want to consider making something positive come from this.* Consider giving Jahmel Binion the gift of a smile, one that others would not make fun of.

'Give him a smile that would give him confidence and pride.'

So far Shaq has not responded publicly to the row.

Some users rushed to the 7ft 1in four-time NBA champion's support, saying people were too easily offended and Shaq may not have known Mr Binion had a disibility.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-14, 11:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

note the 14K "likes"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-14, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

well, shaq looks ugliest to me!
Old 04-30-14, 05:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
well, shaq looks ugliest to me!
Yea! On his best day he is Handsome challenged.
Old 04-30-14, 06:31 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 04-30-14, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Asking Shaq for intelligence/sensitivity is like asking Stephen A Smith for concise analysis.
Old 04-30-14, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If the NBA really is focused on including everyone and ensuring that the product is protected then should we expect Shaq fined and fired?

Mocking the way someone was born to 4 million followers would seem as bad or worse than a recorded conversation.

I should be clear that Sterling had it coming with his storied history in being a bigot but I think that there should be equal outcry about this and equal consideration from NBA who he is part of the product for.
Old 05-01-14, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
If the NBA really is focused on including everyone and ensuring that the product is protected then should we expect Shaq fined and fired?

Mocking the way someone was born to 4 million followers would seem as bad or worse than a recorded conversation.

I should be clear that Sterling had it coming with his storied history in being a bigot but I think that there should be equal outcry about this and equal consideration from NBA who he is part of the product for.
To compare Shaq to Donald Sterling has to be one of the most absolutely ludicrous things I've ever heard. Let's give Sterling the benefit of the doubt that he was raised in place where he didn't know that it wasn't OK to discriminate and mock blacks and Mexicans. Well, he's had 39 years, two lawsuit settlements and countless interactions with those types of people to learn that it isn't ok to have those views. I'm betting Shaq on the other hand had no idea what ectodermal dysplasia was, saw a picture of some dude who he thought was some country bumpkin with bad teeth mean mugging on facebook and when he was called out on it immediately apologized and sought to make amends.

We're about 30 years past the point that anyone can credibly say they had no idea their racist views were wrong and seek forgiveness. Let's treat Shaq (and Waka Flocka) the same way any of us would like to be treated if we made the same mistake. Let's move on like Jahmel Binion has.
Old 05-02-14, 05:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not so ludicrous as Shaq belittled someone who cannot change who they are, doesn't matter what Shaq thought the reason for his picture was this guy was mocked in front of 4 million people and if we are really going to include everyone in the NBA and protect the product by ensuring people that ruin the image are dealt with he should be that is all.

If we are going to treat people the same as we would want to be treated then by that logic should Sterling have copped all this for his personal opinion expressed in private to his then partner? What he said is disgusting and not excusable and he has a base case of proof against him that should have been acted on before, but we all say things in the privacy of the home that we would not say in public would you want some of the things you have said and done broadcast and used against you?

I am making no judgement on if it is as bad as Sterling just don't like double standards applied thats all, one bigoted idiot has got his comeuppance but if we are going to be consistent Shaq should cop some flack
Old 05-03-14, 01:08 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Utah Jazz guard Trey Burke apologized for an insensitive post on Instagram that mocked a Michigan man with a rare genetic disorder.

Burke, former NBA star Shaquille O’Neal and rapper Waka Flocka Flame were each criticized for making fun of Jahmel Binion, a 23-year-old from Madison Heights, Michigan, who suffers from ectodermal dysplasia, which produces abnormalities with the hair, teeth, nails, sweat glands and face. All three have since apologized publicly for their insensitive social media posts. According to a Jazz spokesperson, Burke called Jahmel personally on Tuesday, but originally chose not to tweet or post a public apology because he didn’t want to bring any unwanted attention to Jahmel.

However, after the story became public, Burke chose to publicly tweet his apology, which read, “Had the opportunity to talk to Jahmel Binion yesterday and apologize about the post on IG!”