News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-14, 02:22 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Donald Sterling remains a total scumbag, and the NBA needs to deal with it

Donald Sterling remains a total scumbag, and the NBA needs to deal with it

In case the soothing play of Chris Paul and Blake Griffin had let it fade into the white noise, here's a reminder: Donald Sterling is literally the worst.

Donald Sterling is a total scumbag. He has a history of particularly grotesque and federally prosecuted racism and a list of sexual harassment accusers. He's a grandstanding idiot without a modicum of self-awareness. He's the type of dumbass who would hold a Black History Month celebration in March, and the type of racist moron who would "celebrate Black History" by giving 1,000 game tickets to poor kids, because the brainless hockey puck equates Black people with poor people, because he is a complete cretin.

Donald Sterling is, without question, the worst human being who owns a major sports franchise, and that is absolutely saying something, because they are a whole lot of jackwagon sports owners out there.

The problem is that no matter how stupid and horrifying he is, Donald Sterling is still the owner of a major sports team, in this case the Los Angeles Clippers. So when more alleged evidence that Donald Sterling is a racist dolt surfaces, it comes in the context of the Clippers, the NBA and its fraternity of owners.

Such evidence surfaced early Saturday, when TMZ released a 9-minute recording that purports to be Sterling chiding his girlfriend for appearing in public with Black people and bringing them to "his games." Her alleged infraction: posting a photo with NBA legend and Hero Of Los Angeles Magic Johnson to her Instagram page.

By the way, the girlfriend is Black and Latino.

READ MORE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-14, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not only should he be suspended for an indefinite amount of time but the nba should do something about him being an owner. Having such a racist view from an owner should not be tolerated and be forced to somehow relinquish his ownership (which I'm sure can't be done)

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-14, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The League should take away Clippers Draft picks for the next 10 years with a clause in it that says if he sales the team no picks will be taken away.
Old 04-26-14, 07:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
The League should take away Clippers Draft picks for the next 10 years with a clause in it that says if he sales the team no picks will be taken away.
That would certainly be illegal and the league would be sued.

The Clippers seem like a doomed franchise with perhaps the worst owner in the history of modern professional sports.
Old 04-26-14, 10:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

what can the NBA do? I am asking. Cant they force him to sell the team? Can they keep him from attending games? Can the NBA assume ownership/operations until the team is sold?

As players, what do you do? LAC is a good team. Do you blow a chance in the NBA playoffs to show your disdain for your owner?
Old 04-26-14, 11:05 PM
The Master Baiter

First, I wonder if the league can even do anything without proof that it is actually Sterling speaking non the recording. Second, WHAT exactly can they do? There's probably some text in the bylaws of owning a team about conduct, but I'm sure they can't take a team away or force them to sell. Because if a guy is actually prosecuted for being a bigot, and the league didn't do anything then, I suspect the punishment will be a hand slap. Most likely, you'd be looking at draft picks being taken or something like that.
Old 04-27-14, 01:54 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Here are some options available:

Old 04-27-14, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
First, I wonder if the league can even do anything without proof that it is actually Sterling speaking non the recording. Second, WHAT exactly can they do? There's probably some text in the bylaws of owning a team about conduct, but I'm sure they can't take a team away or force them to sell. Because if a guy is actually prosecuted for being a bigot, and the league didn't do anything then, I suspect the punishment will be a hand slap. Most likely, you'd be looking at draft picks being taken or something like that.
What makes this even more difficult is that this was a secretly recorded conversation between Sterling and his girl friend in the privacy of his own home. I don't think the league should have any legal standing to do anything. If league does do anything it will be only a slap in the wrist that Sterling would be willing to pay to make the issue go away. Any real sanctions that would actually hurt him would easily be fought in court.

And honestly, I don't think the league should do anything in this specific instance. He didn't violate any laws and he didn't bring out his vile bigotry in public. As long as he doesn't discriminate in his business practices or present his racist views in a public forum (and I have a very broad view of that being almost everywhere but your own home) he should have the right to his disgusting opinions.
Old 04-27-14, 11:42 AM
Herman Cain of the board

His comments were very stupid. Also his GF is not white. Which makes it even more odd. This racism claim is nothing new though. He is not a good owner on many levels.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 04-27-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 12:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I agree with BigDon,... But you know what, the players and the public will eventually abandon Sterling. The Clippers are doomed, as long as the owner is a Sterling (he has 2 children living).
Old 04-27-14, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It would be kind of fascist(probably not the right word) if sterling was punished for voicing his opinions in private.

I remember when my parents found out my brother was dating a black girl. The things that were said in my house were more violent and worse then what sterling did. A lot of oldschool immigrant parents(asian and latino) don't want their kid marrying black people. Do you think it fair for them to lose their job because of something they say to their kid in private?
Old 04-27-14, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Isn't the head coach Black?
Old 04-27-14, 08:55 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Not surprised at all with his stinky ugly attitude towards minorities. Streling had been a joke for so many years on so manly levels as WILLTHETHRILL mentioned above.

Incidentally the media is zooming on this Stinky Sterling now that his franchise in the PO and making some noises here!

If this tape was legit and enough fans started to abandon the Clippers then Sterling will find himself forced to sell as his pocket will start to hurt!!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 04-27-14, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

There are so many other things that the whole country could get worked up about.

Who cares what the guy says to his girlfriend?

People should mind their own business.

If the guy went out and fired someone for being black, or banned someone from buying a ticket for being black or did something that was actually racist, that would be one thing. But since when was it illegal to be a bigoted arse whole?
Old 04-28-14, 01:12 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

At least his Clippers players care and that should send a HUGE message to the NBA League!
Wow No wonder they ended up losing that game with such distractions!

You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 04-28-14, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I hope Peter Holt makes a public denouncement of Sterling. Would be a great message from the Spurs organization.

I live in North Texas and the Mavs fans here are sending petitions to Mark Cuban to publicly denounce Sterling.

$
Old 04-29-14, 03:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

from ESPN on Sterling:

""Some people are arguing that his statements were private and that he was set up by his girlfriend. "

My Take:

I am one of those people. If you actually listen to the recording, you can see that he was completely set up and that he tried several times NOT to talk about his feelings.

The fact that Sterling may be a racist has been quite well known for some time. If the NBA did not want to associate with a known racist, they should have stepped in a long time ago. This is being blown way out of proportions (and I say this as a minority), with an agenda.
Old 04-29-14, 07:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I somewhat agree with you Guapo...but the cat is WAYYYYY too far out of the bag. This happens all the time, something festers until the finally breaks out, whether fair or not, then it has to finally be dealt with at the level that should have been done all along.

$
Old 04-29-14, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Two NBA lawyers left the law firm representing V. Stiviano Monday ... and sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ Sports ... the lawyers are now convinced -- the racist audio of Donald Sterling is REAL. NBA lawyer David Anders and another NBA lawyer went to the law office of Mac Nehoray Monday afternoon. Stiviano was also there for the purpose of authenticating the audio. We're told there was NO doubt by anyone the recording is the real deal. The NBA lawyers heard the 15 minutes that have been made public, but not the remaining 45. And we're told ... based on conversations along with analysis ... they're satisfied about authenticity.

Donald Sterling Recording Is REAL -- NBA Lawyer Authenticates Racist Audio | TMZ.com
Old 04-29-14, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
I somewhat agree with you Guapo...but the cat is WAYYYYY too far out of the bag. This happens all the time, something festers until the finally breaks out, whether fair or not, then it has to finally be dealt with at the level that should have been done all along.

$
Like I said...

LEGAL TROUBLES

In March, Sterling's wife, Rochelle, sued Stiviano, claiming she had received more than $2.5 million in lavish gifts from the Clippers owner and they needed to be returned. A big piece of the suit involves a duplex Stiviano purchased in December for nearly $1.8 million with money that Rochelle Sterling claims Stiviano received from her husband. Stiviano's name appears on the deed, and Rochelle Sterling is asking a judge to transfer the property to her and her husband.

In the filing, Rochelle Sterling accuses Stiviano of engaging "in conduct designed to target, befriend, seduce, and then entice, cajole, borrow from, cheat and/or receive as gifts transfers of wealth from wealthy older men whom she targets for such purpose."

Stiviano's attorney has filed documents to dismiss many of the lawsuit's accusations and denies that Donald Sterling was taken advantage of. "Nowhere in the complaint is it alleged that defendant so acted nor that the feminine wiles of Ms. Stiviano overpowered the iron will of Donald T. Sterling who is well known as one of the most shrewd businessmen in the world."

In 2012, Stiviano was charged with driving under the influence, but pleaded no contest to a reckless driving charge in July. Officials say there are no restrictions on her driving privileges at this time.

HOW SHE MAY HAVE MET STERLING

Rochelle Sterling's lawsuit claims Stiviano met Sterling at the 2010 Super Bowl.

Since then, the pair have been in a relationship and Stiviano has received a Ferrari, two Bentleys and a Range Rover from the Clippers' owner, the lawsuit alleges. The vehicles are worth more than $500,000 according to the suit.

PHOTO SHARING STARTED SCANDAL

Sterling and Stiviano's alleged fight was apparently sparked by the businessman's displeasure with Stiviano posting pictures of herself online with Lakers Hall of Famer Magic Johnson and Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp.

The Johnson photo has since been deleted from Stiviano's Instagram account, where she boasted nearly 150,000 followers as of Monday evening. Several of her 200 photos include her posing in front of Clippers signs or with team memorabilia, including a pair of jerseys emblazoned with her last name.

Her bio lists her as an "artist, lover, writer, chef, poet, stylist, philanthropist." The Los Angeles Times reported that Stiviano's name appeared as the director of the Donald T. Sterling Charitable Foundation in an ad for a 2011 luncheon, however she is not listed as having an official role with the foundation in tax documents filed between 2010 and 2012.

ATTORNEY NO LONGER ANSWERING QUESTIONS

Stiviano's attorney, Mac Nehoray, has said his client did not leak the audio of the conversation with Sterling, but he has said what's been posted online is a snippet of a conversation lasting roughly an hour.

On Monday, a man who answered the phone at Nehoray's law office wouldn't identify himself and said the attorney would no longer comment on the audio or Stiviano's case. He said the attorney was invoking the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, citing a statement issued by the Clippers accusing Stiviano of embezzlement.

Los Angeles police say they are not investigating Stiviano or the audio's release at this time.

Key details about woman on Sterling scandal audio | Wichita Eagle
Old 04-29-14, 12:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Doesn't matter what the league does now to Donald Sterling. He will not be able to field a competitive team after this current roster's contracts end. He will have to pay a premium to attract any talent, and will almost undoubtedly be able to attract any top tier talent. This for a notoriously stingy owner. He's better off selling at this point. If he's not aware of this now, he will be eventually.