News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-14, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If you were a Clippers player right now...

Would you actually want to win the series, or maybe just phone it in and get out of Dodge as soon as possible?

Sterling has never been known as a "players' owner" (if there is such a concept).

Just saying.

Last edited by tenthousandaces; 04-26-14 at 01:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-14, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mail it in is what I'd do. I know they're professionals but you're also human being and why serve a slave owner so to speak. His words and past actions are truth to how he really thinks. The players must see that. I wish we knew what was said in that players meeting today.

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-14, 11:38 AM
Herman Cain of the board

You have to represent yourself. You have to respect the game too. I say play for you! F Sterling!
Old 04-27-14, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
You have to represent yourself. You have to respect the game too. I say play for you! F Sterling!
Old 04-27-14, 12:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

if it were me, I would play for my teammates. try to win it all and NOT have Sterling on the podium when they pass out the trophy
Old 04-27-14, 06:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
if it were me, I would play for my teammates. try to win it all and NOT have Sterling on the podium when they pass out the trophy
Exactly they are earning THEIR championship, they lose he still owns the team and they can be dumped to a losing team.
Old 04-27-14, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is a job in which the players signed a contract to give their best. How many of us would quit our job because the owner told his or her girlfriend not to bring any blacks to the job site? Have we become so PC correct that every time someone says something wrong (in a private conversation I might add) all h7ll breaks loose? I imagine Martin Luther King is turning over in his grave because his wish was to live in a country where we are not judged by the color of our skin. I believe the head coach is black. If I were that "racist" I would not have a black head coach. Let's all relax and let the facts take care of the situation.
Go Spurs Go!!
Old 04-28-14, 04:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sterling is STILL married?!
Old 04-28-14, 06:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Clovis,
I agree about the contracts, and that he was recorded without his knowledge while at home.

But did you hear what he said? He really pits himself against his players and coach. And the reality is that it's all on a public stage now. In my opinion, this event, this "incident," will be remembered for a long time and will be thought of as "important." These are not Sterling's first racist comments. And this can't be swept under the rug as "some Archie Bunker incident."

So for Chris Paul, for Blake Griffin, (as long as Sterling is there) it will be important to save face by demanding trades after the season. It's about self-respect. You can't keep suiting up and competing, to reward this guy who just publicly spit in your face.. illegal tape or not. As a side note.. Sterling bought the Clippers in 1980 for $12 million. Today the team is worth $550-575 million. No doubt the current set of players are partially responsible for the recent appreciation.

The players would have recourse if the league can somehow affect a transfer of ownership.

But a slap on the wrist, a suspension, a fine, .. Those are half-measures and mere appeasement, and would mean nothing in principle.

Last edited by tenthousandaces; 04-28-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthousandaces View Post
Clovis,
I agree about the contracts, and that he was recorded without his knowledge while at home.

But did you hear what he said? He really pits himself against his players and coach. And the reality is that it's all on a public stage now. In my opinion, this event, this "incident," will be remembered for a long time and will be thought of as "important." These are not Sterling's first racist comments. And this can't be swept under the rug as "some Archie Bunker incident."

So for Chris Paul, for Blake Griffin, (as long as Sterling is there) it will be important to save face by demanding trades after the season. It's about self-respect. You can't keep suiting up and competing, to reward this guy who just publicly spit in your face.. illegal tape or not. As a side note.. Sterling bought the Clippers in 1980 for $12 million. Today the team is worth $550-575 million. No doubt the current set of players are partially responsible for the recent appreciation.

The players would have recourse if the league can somehow affect a transfer of ownership.

But a slap on the wrist, a suspension, a fine, .. Those are half-measures and mere appeasement, and would mean nothing in principle.
You make good points however this is not new, he has been under investigation for various issues for years. The players that have been drafted pretty much have to play there however the others knew he is an A-- Hole and still signed to play for the Clippers.
The girl friend is a minority. The head coach is black. etc.
Don't get me wrong he is an A--Hole, I'm just saying we don't know all the facts.
Old 04-28-14, 05:06 PM
SR Team Goof

If I were a Clipper's player right now, I'd examine Jeff Van Gundy's statement from last night (I think it was Gundy). He said the Clipper's are exhibiting an excellent show of one-on-one basketball. I think it was after Crawford chucked his 20th shot up.
Old 04-28-14, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I guarantee you that no player plays for his owner, and probably half the players in the league don't even know who owns their team. The players play for themselves, each other, their coach and their fans. Nothing that the owner does should affect any of that. The Clips should make a public statement against their owner, but then go about business as usual.

If I found out that the CEO of my company was a bigot, I wouldn't quit my job. I might Spam an inter-company email saying what I think of him, but I wouldn't let him have any other influence on my life.

NOW....if the league or the owners do nothing to punish Sterling in a timely manner, then the players might think about not working for their owner. But in the meantime, they nor their fans shouldn't let what Sterling does change their life...that's not a winning attitude.

$
Old 04-28-14, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
I guarantee you that no player plays for his owner, and probably half the players in the league don't even know who owns their team. The players play for themselves, each other, their coach and their fans. Nothing that the owner does should affect any of that. The Clips should make a public statement against their owner, but then go about business as usual.

If I found out that the CEO of my company was a bigot, I wouldn't quit my job. I might Spam an inter-company email saying what I think of him, but I wouldn't let him have any other influence on my life.

NOW....if the league or the owners do nothing to punish Sterling in a timely manner, then the players might think about not working for their owner. But in the meantime, they nor their fans shouldn't let what Sterling does change their life...that's not a winning attitude.

$
I've been wrestling with this myself and honestly, I think I'd have to tell the coach not to play me and explore what options I had to resign from the team. It's a tough tough tough choice, but I don't know if I could respect myself in the morning knowing that I was helping to enrich a man who thought of me in that way. Now, on the other side, quitting is not only giving up on my life long dream of being an NBA champion, I'd have to look at this squad as probably the best chance I had to win one, but also means quitting on my teammates.

The only way I think I could justify playing would be if the fans to boycotted buying any more tickets and for those who already bought tickets to come to the game but not buy any concessions or even pay for parking. I myself would take park and ride to the team facility as a form of solidarity with the fans. I would also use my entire game check to buy tickets to the games to give away free to the fans so I could at least say I'm not taking anymore money from that man.

Last edited by b1gdon; 04-28-14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Sterling is STILL married?!
Yes and his wife is suing that woman for embezzlement.