News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-14, 08:04 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

NBA pressuring refs to make call for the Nets? Former ref slams league

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy recently questioned the motives of officials in the Nets-Raptors series, claiming that the league’s desire for a money-grabbing second-round matchup between the Nets and Heat is affecting calls.*The way* Donaghy put it in an interview on Canadian radio: “(The Raptors) are not only going against the Brooklyn Nets, but going against the league office.”

It prompted a response to the Daily News from the NBA, which dismissed Donaghy as “a convicted felon looking for any opportunity for people to listen to his baseless allegations.”

Donaghy, who was exiled from the league after he was convicted for wire fraud and transmitting betting information about games, then contacted the News and fired back with charges of hypocrisy.

“I laugh at the idea that the NBA conveniently uses my felony conviction to routinely dismiss me,” Donagy said. “The NBA need look no further than some of the men on their own payroll to find felons. In fact, Don Vaden, the current Director of Officials, is a fine example (Vaden was one of eight referees charged with tax evasion in 1998 for downgrading first-grade plane tickets and not reporting the refunded money. He was found guilty and served six months' of home confinement and two years of probation.).

“To distinguish my crime,” Donaghy continued, “and somehow make me the NBA's bad boy, is a joke.

“The NBA might consider some remedial training for their current staff on subjects like avoidance of gambling, drug and alcohol moderation, and the dangers of carrying illegal firearms rather than their tired efforts at discrediting me.”

The league again responded with a statement from a spokesman, referencing the criminal activities that landed Donaghy a 15-month prison sentence.

"Tim Donaghy has zero credibility. He criminally gambled on NBA games, lied to the authorities and the NBA in the process, and then attempted to discredit his fellow referees in a desperate and entirely unsuccessful attempt to save himself. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. The only thing not on the level here is Tim Donaghy."

The Nets-Raptors series is even at 1-1 heading into Friday’s Game 3 at the Barclays Center. Donaghy’s comments about the refereeing were after Game 1, when the Nets were called for zero defensive fouls in the fourth quarter. In Game 2, the Nets were called for six more fouls than the Raptors, including seven in the fourth quarter.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/net...ntry-1.1768174
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-24-14, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Why would the NBA want the Nets to advance? Donaghy says it's all about television ratings. "In this situation, Brooklyn would be put at an advantage. A Brooklyn-Miami matchup (in Round 2) would bring great ratings and that's what this is all about for the NBA and the league offices -- bringing in as many dollars as they can. ... Some of the things that the league does and continues to do puts these teams at a disadvantage -- like the Toronto Raptors -- because moving forward they won't bring in the big dollars for the league. It's terrible for the fans (of) Toronto. They go and support that team but really they're going to have trouble moving on based on talent and what takes place on the floor when they're really going against the refs and the league, along with the Nets."

Disgraced ex-ref Donaghy says NBA pressuring officials to side with Nets over Raptors | FOX Sports on MSN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!