News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-23-14, 09:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We got smoked

The Mavs wouldn't allow the Spurs to get in a rhythm all game. We turned the ball over all constantly. And once the Mavs saw daylight, they became even more aggressive and were hitting every shot with no conscience.

Dejuan Blair was so happy.

The Mavs have clearly figured some things out and can win the series.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-14, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthousandaces View Post
The Mavs wouldn't allow the Spurs to get in a rhythm all game. We turned the ball over all constantly. And once the Mavs saw daylight, they became even more aggressive and were hitting every shot with no conscience.

Dejuan Blair was so happy.
They had best wake the Hell up!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-14, 09:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

One thing they for sure figured out.... How to take away our threebball.
Old 04-23-14, 10:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why does Ginobili still have to carry such a huge load on offense? Apart from Ginobili and Parker, our guards were gutless.

Dallas's guards Ellis and Harris made our guys look weak and floundering. Carter, Blair and Marion brought hard fouls, attitude, and mojo.

Going into next season, we need to use our financial resources wisely, to pick up a legitimate star who will complement Parker and Ginobili, who can create on offense, handle the ball, and bring some mojo back to the Spurs.
Old 04-23-14, 10:50 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

In another thread, someone said that they smelled a blow-out. They were right. They just got the winning team wrong.

So far, the Spurs have been playing (especially early in games) like they are going to walk into any arena and they are just going to hand the trophy over to them.

SOFT

We need some NASTY!

Dallas should have also won Game One. Dallas felt like they "let the Spurs off the hook."

And dont't think every other team isn't taking notes on how to beat these guys.

Like someone said at the beginning of this season each time we struggled against the top teams, "This season feels like fool's gold."
Old 04-24-14, 01:44 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

If the series was 2-0 or 3-0 Mavs I could understand these responses. Being tied 1-1 as the best road squad in the league, I'm perplexed by the doom and gloom. Spurs fans can be quite reactionary, I'm a huge fan, but I'm not going to freak out over something like this. Don't feel like researching, but I'm sure some were freaking out during the GSW series last year.
Old 04-24-14, 05:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I hope you're right Mr. Doom. Like Silver Spur said, too many of our players were soft.

It's not the loss itself that's bothersome.

It's the tentative play of several of our players (I don't want to list them out, but we saw it).

I attribute the turnover differential to Spurs being soft, nervous and lacking energy/focus.

Do they need to drink a dang Monster before the game? If it were me out there, and I saw how Blair was flagrant fouling Parker, then laughing at the end of the game, I'd be ready to give it right back. That's putting it mildly.

Last edited by tenthousandaces; 04-24-14 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Amen!

In addition to everything else, Blair has made it his personal mission to show everyone (and rightly so) that Pop was wrong about him.

But the fact that Parker stood there (after getting fouled hard by Blair) with this "how dare you, can't we just play nice" look on his face says it all.

As a result, this is the headline in Dallas today: "Marion, Blair bring 'manly' attitude, push Mavs into series tie with 113-92 win"

Link: Shawn Marion, DeJuan Blair get physical, help Mavericks even series with 113-92 win | Dallas Morning News
Old 04-24-14, 07:26 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

24 turnovers.....simple as that. They played sloppy. MOST of that was their own fault. Not worried and the Mavs will not beat the Spurs....lol.

It's one game folks, like Timmy said post game..."We're not gonna go 16-0". It's a marathon and not a sprint!

Spurs are now going on the road where they had the best road record in the entire NBA. I think they will be fine. They shot 50% from the field which was nice and other people besides Manu hit 3's which was nice as well. Kawhi was a dissapointment but that's due to the two quick fouls. I think the Spurs will find their groove on the road and take both games. Step away from the cliff Spurs fans!!
Old 04-24-14, 07:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Blair is going to be smilig all the way to the next round and beyond if Popovich doesn't make some adjustments.

"Blair came off the bench with effective minutes. His energy and hard-nosed rebounding helped open the game up as the Mavericks went up by 15 points in the second quarter.

The Spurs would cut the margin to five by halftime, but the Mavericks ran away in the second half, going up 99-76 with 8:39 to go when Vince Carter got loose for a dunk.

“We had that persistence that you need to have and you need to have it because you’re going to get hit with things that are going to challenge your emotional strength,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “I felt our ability to have emotional strength was a key. In the playoffs, it’s so emotional and there’s so much going on that when you win, it feels like you’re never going to lose and when you lose, you feel like you’re never going to win again. And so you got to avoid getting into those highs and lows and tonight we did a good job of it.”
And handling the physical nature of the Spurs was critical.

The Mavericks forced 24 turnovers and outrebounded the Spurs, 36-32.
Basically, they played with a manly attitude.

“Blair helped us in that area,” Carlisle said. “I thought Marion played a phenomenal game all-around, offense, defense, rebounding. He was terrific.

“As far as the physical nature, NBA playoff games are physical. If you don’t have the right kind of posture and disposition, you’re going to get knocked back on your heels and your butt. So then we did a better job of hitting first in some of those instances. But we got a long way to go and a lot of work to do.”
Blair had a key defensive play late in the third quarter when he pilfered the ball from Manu Ginobili – the Spurs lone strong offensive threat all night – and took off on a one-man fast break that made it 86-70.
And so, the Mavericks proved that Game 1, when they built a 10-point lead only to lose it in the final 7:30 of the game, was no fluke."

Shawn Marion, DeJuan Blair get physical, help Mavericks even series with 113-92 win | Dallas Morning News
Old 04-24-14, 07:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dallas: 13 steals
San Antonio: 1 (one) steal
Old 04-24-14, 07:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dallas: 92 shots
San Antonio: 64 shots
Old 04-24-14, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
24 turnovers.....simple as that. They played sloppy. MOST of that was their own fault. Not worried and the Mavs will not beat the Spurs....lol.

It's one game folks, like Timmy said post game..."We're not gonna go 16-0". It's a marathon and not a sprint!

Spurs are now going on the road where they had the best road record in the entire NBA. I think they will be fine. They shot 50% from the field which was nice and other people besides Manu hit 3's which was nice as well. Kawhi was a dissapointment but that's due to the two quick fouls. I think the Spurs will find their groove on the road and take both games. Step away from the cliff Spurs fans!!
+1

We played very lazily. Lazy passes, poor execution. We can do better. We didn't come out hungry to beat the Mavs. We played like it was a foregone conclusion that we would sweep this team.

We will play more focused in Dallas.

by the way, Splitter still played great defense on Dirk.
Old 04-24-14, 10:24 AM
The Master Baiter

Not worried at all. Sure, I wish they would go 4-0 and just wait for the next opponent, but that's not realistic in the Western Conference. Just look at the game. You could tell they played like it was a regular season game. UNFORCED turnovers. This wasn't magnificent defense or anything. Even Duncan was just kind of jogging to screens, no urgency. I give the Mavs credit, they took advantage of the TOs, but if they need over 20 of those to win, it's just not going to happen.
Old 04-24-14, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Let's look at some positives. It is hard to tell a team what they are doing wrong when they have just won 62 games, now Pop can correct and maybe the team will listen. By losing a game the coaching staff can now see what needs changing. Winning game one the way we did brings complacency among the players, should be a good wake up call. All 8 teams in the Western Conference finals are capable of going all the way. The sooner we realize this the better off we will be.
Old 04-24-14, 04:10 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Lazy and sloppy nails it.

They will come back strong in Game 3.
Old 04-24-14, 07:58 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The turnovers were ridiculous. Every player must be "desperate" for a posession and guard the ball once they get an opportunity. THAT is playoff basketball.
Old 04-24-14, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess its true that the league is fixed .