News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-19-14, 10:01 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Craig Sager has leukemia

Veteran broadcaster Craig Sager has been diagnosed with leukemia.

The news was first tweeted by his son on Thursday and confirmed by Sager on Friday. Sager said in a statement, referring to TNT's coverage of the NBA playoffs: "My favorite time of year -- city to city, round by round, 40 games in 40 nights. A dramatic turn has matched me with acute myeloid leukemia. From the sidelines to being sidelined, 40 veins and 40 electrolytes."

He added at the end: "Too bad, I had some probing questions for Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich)."

According to the tweet from his son, Sager started treatment on Friday.

Sager, who has spent nearly 20 years covering the NBA as a sideline reporter for Turner Sports and TNT, is known for the bold suits he wears during broadcasts. He has been broadcasting sports nationally since 1981, when he joined CNN.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-14, 07:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Poor Craig. Hope he gets better.

$
Old 04-20-14, 09:15 AM
SpursReport Rookie

yes, get well soon, I am going to miss him on the sidelines this year
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-20-14, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I won't miss him. He's a lame circus clown. But I hope he does recover his health.
Old 04-20-14, 04:30 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 04-21-14, 03:39 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

As Craig Sager undergoes treatment for leukemia, his son Craig Sager Jr. filled in for him on the sidelines for Game 1 of the Spurs vs. Mavericks in San Antonio Sunday and interviewed Gregg Popovich after the third quarter. Known for their history of hilarious interviews, Pop offered a heartfelt message to Sager to get well soon, “We want your fanny back on the court and I promise I will be nice!”

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2014/...delines-video/
Old 04-22-14, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Like pretty much everyone else who saw it, Craig Sager said he was touched by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich’s message of encouragement to the ailing sideline reporter in his battle with leukemia during Sunday’s playoff game with Dallas. Popovich even pledged to take it easy on Sager should he return to the sideline, a welcome change from the gruff treatment Popovich usually metes out. But Sager told Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch on Monday that he wouldn’t have it any other way. “It was just fabulous, an uplifting, tremendous thing for me,” Sager said of Popovich’s address, which was delivered as his son, Craig Sager Jr., stood in while wearing one of his flamboyant outfits. ”Pop saying he wanted me back and then promising to be nice? I was like, Oh, my God, that’s unbelievable, what an honor. But then I started thinking about it: If I come back and Pop starts being nice to me, it just wouldn’t be right. I want him to go Serbian on me.”

San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation Sager grateful for support, but says nice Pop ‘wouldn’t be right’
Old 04-24-14, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

SAN ANTONIO _ In the days since TNT sideline reporter Craig Sager’s diagnosis with acute myeloid leukemia became public, it was revealed that longtime Mavericks physician T.O. Souryal played a significant role in the initial diagnosis.

Souryal, with the Mavericks in San Antonio for Game 2, said Wednesday that he and Sager have been friends for about 12 years.

Sager, in Dallas for a playoff series in the early 2000s, asked Souryal to look at his sore knee. Souryal wound up doing surgery on Sager’s knee to fix cartilage damage.

Flash forward to this year’s April 10 Mavericks-Spurs regular season game in Dallas. Moments after working the game, Sager told Souryal he hadn’t been feeling well.

“I said, ‘How long have you been like that?’ ” Souryal recalled. “He said, ‘A couple of days.’ I said, ‘I think we need to get this checked out.’ He said, ‘When?’ I said, ‘Tonight.’

Souryal said he offered to take Sager to the hospital himself, but Sager had a TNT crewmember take him.

“I’m optimistic for him because he’s in good shape,” Souryal said. “He runs marathons and always eats right, that sort of thing.

“I think that played a role in him being able to work the (Mavs-Spurs regular-season) game, where you and I would have called 9-1-1 about 24 hours previously.

“I’m very proud to know him. And I think he’ll do well.”

Mavericks physician, who insisted TNT’s Sager get to Dallas hospital, says he’ll do well | Dallas Morning News