News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-14, 05:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Blake Griffin says Medical Marijuana makes sense for NBA

The NFL might let players use medical marijuana to treat pain. If you had a vote, would the NBA do the same? Blake Griffin: It doesn't really affect me, but so many guys would probably benefit from it and not take as many painkillers, which have worse long-term effects. So I would vote yes. I just think it makes sense.

Blake Griffin on Creationism and Justin Bieber | Culture News | Rolling Stone
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-14, 11:13 AM
The Master Baiter

I really don't have a problem with weed. I don't smoke it. But it's less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol, yet those are legal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-18-14, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I really don't have a problem with weed. I don't smoke it. But it's less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol, yet those are legal.
New statistics say other wise.
Old 04-18-14, 03:55 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
I'd welcome those statistics, but I know from a personal standpoint how alcohol and cigarettes wreck your body. Not myself, but loved ones. Of course, I would rather someone NOT smoke weed, but it still shouldn't be illegal.
Old 04-19-14, 08:55 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Yea... I would like to see them too... Because I don't buy it either... Statisticsare likely jjust propaganda. Saw a photo from the National drug free America, showed a pair of lungs from tobacco and one from weed... Weed one looked muchworse, and it was nothing but a lie. All just propaganda... Legalize it for medical use...
Old 04-19-14, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I'd welcome those statistics, but I know from a personal standpoint how alcohol and cigarettes wreck your body. Not myself, but loved ones. Of course, I would rather someone NOT smoke weed, but it still shouldn't be illegal.
I didn't use any of all three, just went with women that did!
Seriously I can only offer observations and statistics. True there are many who can use and not be affected and there many who are.
The statistics I am referring to are the ones which say the weed of today is much stronger than the 60'S.
Any way, GO SPURS GO!!
Old 04-19-14, 01:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Years ago I remember my uncle telling me when he was in the military he would get Thai sticks. He said he hasn't had anything that good since. That was in the 60's. I think it should definitely be used for medicine.... Shouldn't be illegal.. It can help too many people..
Old 04-19-14, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I didn't use any of all three, just went with women that did!
Seriously I can only offer observations and statistics. True there are many who can use and not be affected and there many who are.
The statistics I am referring to are the ones which say the weed of today is much stronger than the 60'S.
Any way, GO SPURS GO!!
...and?!?!? I used to drink this alcoholic beverage called beer, then I discovered something stronger called wine. After that, I discovered something stronger called Vodka. Then I discovered 151. The high you get from alcohol or marijuana is dose dependent. The drunkest I ever got was from drinking beer. I remember people in college who were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning from drinking too much beer. I know of people who have died from drinking too much beer.

On the other hand, you can smoke 3 joints of the old stuff and get just as high as smoking one joint of the strong stuff. And no one has ever died of a marijuana overdose. According to a study published in American Scientific (http://www.americanscientist.org/lib...104835_307.pdf), the fatal dose of alcohol is only 10 times higher than the "effective" dose (i.e. amt of drug required to get the desired effect aka buzzed). For weed, that amount is over a 1000 times. You would have to smoke 1/3 of your body weight in weed to get that kind of dose and fortunately, you'd pass out long before then.

I'm not running around telling people to smoke weed, but with what is well known about the potential costs of marijuana use compared to the horrendous cost of our prohibition policy in tax money, organized crime profits, lost tax revenue, lives harmed, by incarceration, diversion of law enforcement resources, communities destroyed by the effects of black markets and high incarcerations it is absurd to continue this failed experiment of marijuana prohibition. Saying something shouldn't be illegal does not equate an endorsement of it's use.

As for it's use by NBA players, if a player experiences better treatment for pain by a substance that is far less harmful than opiates (oxycontin, morphine, heroin, etc) than it would be stupid not to allow it.

Last edited by b1gdon; 04-19-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-19-14, 03:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

There are legitimate ideas on both sides of the debate. Weed also slows down and muddles your thought process affecting motor skills. I would think an NBA player would want to be as sharp as he could come game time. There are 2 deaths in Denver attributed to the use of legal marijuana. Time will tell.