SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Bleacherreport predicts Spurs sign Gasol (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121612-bleacherreport-predicts-spurs-sign-gasol.html)

choppsboy 04-17-14 02:07 PM

Bleacherreport predicts Spurs sign Gasol

Just for giggles . . .

Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers: Signs with San Antonio Spurs for two years, $17 million.

Technically, this could work whether Duncan and Ginobili retire or not. The Spurs quietly have a little cap room to play with, and bringing in another veteran big man who is a brilliant passer and plenty capable out of either post would seem to fit the bill. Gasol has declined and has injury issues, but no team knows how to manage veterans like the Spurs do. Whether he's a last piece to a final title run or a stopgap until the Spurs go younger at every position, Gasol could be a great target.

2014 NBA Free Agents: Predictions for Top Available Players This Summer | Bleacher Report

alh1020 04-17-14 02:39 PM

Though I do like a good laugh every now and then, I have to say you did get my attention. I do like what Gasol can bring to the table regarding experience and abilities, but his history of injuries seems to be adding to his resume. Granted, the Spurs manage minutes better than anybody but a guy of Pauís caliber needs to see the court every once and a while. He would look good in the silver and black and add favorably to the Spursí international flavor but that dollar figure could be a little steep for his age and physical capabilities. But if I were the Spurs FO I'd get Gasol's agent's ear to see how flexible a signing figure he might be thinking of and to keep Gasol in shape. I guess resigning Bonner is out of the question? I couldnít help myself, I just had to throw that in.

Spurd_On 04-17-14 02:52 PM

That's a ridiculous prediction no matter which player is involved. I doubt that the Spurs even evaluate their next season needs until well into the play offs.

choppsboy 04-17-14 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1311142)
Though I do like a good laugh every now and then, I have to say you did get my attention. I do like what Gasol can bring to the table regarding experience and abilities, but his history of injuries seems to be adding to his resume. Granted, the Spurs manage minutes better than anybody but a guy of Pau’s caliber needs to see the court every once and a while. He would look good in the silver and black and add favorably to the Spurs’ international flavor but that dollar figure could be a little steep for his age and physical capabilities. But if I were the Spurs FO I'd get Gasol's agent's ear to see how flexible a signing figure he might be thinking of and to keep Gasol in shape. I guess resigning Bonner is out of the question? I couldn’t help myself, I just had to throw that in.

I would love to sign Gasol to a two year deal next season and extend Manu and Duncan for 1 more season. If we could keep patty mills and Diaw, I would give Gasol whatever money was left over even if it was 14 mill per season. It is not like we would need it for someone else. Our roster would be full anyway.

And it is not my money so it is really easy to say.

spurduncan21 04-17-14 04:24 PM

Chops paying gasol $14M is way too much money. At that price move along. For him to join us he'll need to be realistic and settle for less than he'd get elsewhere. Realistically to be a Spur, he'd have to be unselfish and at this point in his career he is less valuable than Timmy so he'd have to be at $10
Max. I'd love to have gasol here but only if we retain Diaw and Mills. Bonner is gone so there is room for a big. We have deshaun thomas or Adam Hanga possibly joining us as back sfs next season so gasol is a possibility but like I said, only at a major discount than the $18M he got this past year

TimmyDthaWay2B 04-17-14 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1311149)
Chops paying gasol $14M is way too much money. At that price move along. For him to join us he'll need to be realistic and settle for less than he'd get elsewhere. Realistically to be a Spur, he'd have to be unselfish and at this point in his career he is less valuable than Timmy so he'd have to be at $10
Max. I'd love to have gasol here but only if we retain Diaw and Mills. Bonner is gone so there is room for a big. We have deshaun thomas or Adam Hanga possibly joining us as back sfs next season so gasol is a possibility but like I said, only at a major discount than the $18M he got this past year

I agree, 17 million too much. With that being said, I would rather be overpaying Gasol for a couple years than Splitter. My own personal opinion.

Uwe Blab 04-17-14 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1311150)
I agree, 17 million too much. With that being said, I would rather be overpaying Gasol for a couple years than Splitter. My own personal opinion.

8.5 million a year for him is not too much. 14 million, yes that's a little overpaid. But I agree with TimmyD, he's better right now than Splitter is right now.

MRJONESIII 04-17-14 06:21 PM

Between 7-9 million is what he's worth on the market. But someone else will offer him 12-15, but he'll be on a non-contending team. I'd take Greg Monroe for 10-12 million in a heartbeat.

TimmyDthaWay2B 04-17-14 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1311154)
8.5 million a year for him is not too much. 14 million, yes that's a little overpaid. But I agree with TimmyD, he's better right now than Splitter is right now.

I guess your right. 8.5 for a couple years isn't too bad.

choppsboy 04-17-14 09:54 PM

I am just exaggerating. My point is after we sign Mills and Diaw, Gasoline could have whatever is left for a 1 year deal (two if Duncan extended for another year), and it wouldn't hurt us in any way because we wouldn't need to sign any other free agents anyway.

Guapo 04-18-14 02:26 AM

But... But... But Gasol has vertigo!

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...39596_free.gif

Pass.

I'd take his brother instead.

Guapo 04-18-14 05:23 AM

Sam Amick: Lakers forward Pau Gasol on his free agency future, says he'll pursue "best opportunity to hopefully go after a championship." Twitter @sam_amick

choppsboy 04-18-14 07:53 AM

Maybe it is benign positional paroxysmal vertigo. I had that. It is really easy to fix with some exercises, but it takes about 3 weeks.

MRJONESIII 04-18-14 08:03 AM

Looks like he will lean toward Phil Jackson....What a shock! Keep it moving people, nothing to see here.

Uwe Blab 04-18-14 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1311172)
Looks like he will lean toward Phil Jackson....What a shock! Keep it moving people, nothing to see here.

I don't know about that. If he says he wants another championship, the Knocks are pretty far from that. Just because Phil's face is on the box, doesn't mean it's going to work.

MRJONESIII 04-18-14 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1311176)
I don't know about that. If he says he wants another championship, the Knocks are pretty far from that. Just because Phil's face is on the box, doesn't mean it's going to work.

Don't be surprised about a little word....Loyalty. Phil brought Gasol 2 championships with another top tier player. He's reconstructing a Faker type team. Odom, Peace, most likely Gasol with Melo. Amare', big guards with Iman,Smith a floor spacer in Bargnani.
Right up Phil's alley....just come into a situation where the star power is already there and all he needs to do is put it together. He's going to pull all the strings he can....He's even going to hire Steve Kerr so he can coach through him. That is what you call a hostile takeover in a sense. So don't let Gasol's rant about being on a contender fool you. The Knicks will look like a contender on paper just like the Fakers did with Howard.
Plus....from one Spurs fan to another....when to we ever land anyone of a caliber of a Gasol? The Spurs are a more of a "Blindside" acquisition type of team, and I don't expect that to ever change....but it's fun hope it will.

clovisnmspurfan 04-18-14 12:13 PM

I am with Guapo, I like his brother better.

montgod 04-18-14 02:16 PM

Count me in for that deal to get Gasol. Would be a steal for the Spurs and how Pop utilizes him. There is no way he can overlook the opportunity if he is serious about winning another ring. The Spurs have refuted the notion that they are 'too old' by continuing to be successful. With Gasol, that would make them even better! Gasol, Splitter, Duncan, Baynes = Nice mix of All Star/HOF experience with youth and excellent depth. Definitely would prolong Duncan's career. And we all are forgetting the fact that Gasol IS a foreigner haha... come on home Gasol!

montgod 04-18-14 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1311154)

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I agree...8 mill is a good deal for Gasol.
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1311155)
Between 7-9 million is what he's worth on the market. But someone else will offer him 12-15, but he'll be on a non-contending team. I'd take Greg Monroe for 10-12 million in a heartbeat.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I would take Monroe as well, but just don't see Monroe taking less to go to Spurs at the height of his career. Watch Monroe get monster money and either stay in Detroit or get traded.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1311159)
I guess your right. 8.5 for a couple years isn't too bad.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Yup
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1311162)
But... But... But Gasol has vertigo!

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...39596_free.gif

Pass.

I'd take his brother instead.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Point is.. his bro isn't available... but who wouldn't at this juncture?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1311166)
Sam Amick: Lakers forward Pau Gasol on his free agency future, says he'll pursue "best opportunity to hopefully go after a championship." Twitter @sam_amick

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Knicks definitely wouldn't be it. Even Melo doesn't believe that and looks to be on the way out. Whose left if Gasol joins up? Same old broken up overpaid Knicks players that won't win a thing even in the East.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1311176)

Exactly
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

MRJONESIII 04-18-14 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montgod (Post 1311185)
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I agree...8 mill is a good deal for Gasol.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I would take Monroe as well, but just don't see Monroe taking less to go to Spurs at the height of his career. Watch Monroe get monster money and either stay in Detroit or get traded.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Yup

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Point is.. his bro isn't available... but who wouldn't at this juncture?

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Knicks definitely wouldn't be it. Even Melo doesn't believe that and looks to be on the way out. Whose left if Gasol joins up? Same old broken up overpaid Knicks players that won't win a thing even in the East.

Exactly
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

If not the Knicks, sure in heck won't be the Spurs. Give me one reason you think he comes here and not like OKC,LAC,HOU or some other high profile team with a younger core? And once again, when have you ever know the Spurs to land top free agents? The odds are always against us. Don't get me wrong, but I'm tired of hoping and guessing/wanting these guys only to be kicked in the face. Metta,Granger,Turner,Odem, Bynum,Tyreke and so forth. But I hope your theory will prove me and the Spurs wrong and pull a rabbit out of the hat for once.

montgod 04-18-14 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1311187)
If not the Knicks, sure in heck won't be the Spurs. Give me one reason you think he comes here and not like OKC,LAC,HOU or some other high profile team with a younger core? And once again, when have you ever know the Spurs to land top free agents? The odds are always against us. Don't get me wrong, but I'm tired of hoping and guessing/wanting these guys only to be kicked in the face. Metta,Granger,Turner,Odem, Bynum,Tyreke and so forth. But I hope your theory will prove me and the Spurs wrong and pull a rabbit out of the hat for once.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I could be mistaken, but I would think LAC (they have to pay Griffin, Paul, overpaying Center, Redick, maybe Granger and Barnes, etc.) and HOU (need to pay Parsons soon and drafted a nice PF in Jones) have no money to pay Gasol at the price of 8 mill per year. Besides that, I have a feeling Gasol isn't a fan of Howard and joining back up with him.

OKC might be a player since Perkins might finally be out the door, but I am just not sure that offense would suit his skillset like the Spurs. Not only that, but they are still not proven especially Westbrook who is always injured or making bad decisions at crucial times. Of course this is the year that could change that.

At that age (Gasol), I think you look at what's proven and the Spurs are that IF you really want to win now. I also think the Euro factor plays a role to some degree over those three and the past free agents you mentioned who were all mainly American (besides fact that Spurs didn't have as much cap space for those guys vs. after Bonner's contract expires). Gasol could easily slip into the rotation vs. going to the other places and try to figure it out. I could be over thinking it ... but that's just my opinion.

MRJONESIII 04-18-14 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montgod (Post 1311190)
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->I could be mistaken, but I would think LAC (they have to pay Griffin, Paul, overpaying Center, Redick, maybe Granger and Barnes, etc.) and HOU (need to pay Parsons soon and drafted a nice PF in Jones) have no money to pay Gasol at the price of 8 mill per year. Besides that, I have a feeling Gasol isn't a fan of Howard and joining back up with him.

OKC might be a player since Perkins might finally be out the door, but I am just not sure that offense would suit his skillset like the Spurs. Not only that, but they are still not proven especially Westbrook who is always injured or making bad decisions at crucial times. Of course this is the year that could change that.

At that age (Gasol), I think you look at what's proven and the Spurs are that IF you really want to win now. I also think the Euro factor plays a role to some degree over those three and the past free agents you mentioned who were all mainly American (besides fact that Spurs didn't have as much cap space for those guys vs. after Bonner's contract expires). Gasol could easily slip into the rotation vs. going to the other places and try to figure it out. I could be over thinking it ... but that's just my opinion.

Griffin and Paul are still under big contracts, Blake's is recent. I'd like to see him in S&B, but the Spurs thrive on getting no-bodies and turning them in to household names. Let's just hope our international flavor is stronger than the ties with Jackson and or more money than the Spurs can offer him. Remember....his older, more injury prone and could just be looking to pad his bank account before his time is up. Most likely the Spurs will not overpay like 29 other teams. If we can win the championship...hopefully that'll sway us a key addition.

montgod 04-18-14 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1311195)
Griffin and Paul are still under big contracts, Blake's is recent. I'd like to see him in S&B, but the Spurs thrive on getting no-bodies and turning them in to household names. Let's just hope our international flavor is stronger than the ties with Jackson and or more money than the Spurs can offer him. Remember....his older, more injury prone and could just be looking to pad his bank account before his time is up. Most likely the Spurs will not overpay like 29 other teams. If we can win the championship...hopefully that'll sway us a key addition.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Yes, I hope so too but I beg to differ about the Knicks and their cap space cause they are not going to be free of cap hell till the 2016 season depending on what Melo does obviously. And no Melo, no Gasol. This playoffs will tell the tale how successful the Spurs can really be or how much he could help the Spurs vs. another team. Either way, the Spurs should have enough money to entice him just like they did with Bellinelli (even though he probably would have been starting for the Bulls this last year and turned down more money elsewhere vs. the Spurs) along with the winning culture that most Euros want to be a part of.

And I don't see Gasol being a player to just pad his bank account type of guy and not have pride or the desire to get on the court. He isn't going to be a Steve Nash in my opinion.

MRJONESIII 04-18-14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montgod (Post 1311197)
<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->Yes, I hope so too but I beg to differ about the Knicks and their cap space cause they are not going to be free of cap hell till the 2016 season depending on what Melo does obviously. And no Melo, no Gasol. This playoffs will tell the tale how successful the Spurs can really be or how much he could help the Spurs vs. another team. Either way, the Spurs should have enough money to entice him just like they did with Bellinelli (even though he probably would have been starting for the Bulls this last year and turned down more money elsewhere vs. the Spurs) along with the winning culture that most Euros want to be a part of.

And I don't see Gasol being a player to just pad his bank account type of guy and not have pride or the desire to get on the court. He isn't going to be a Steve Nash in my opinion.

Don't forget Melo said he'd take a less to help his team out. But I'm guessing Melo will have some insite on who he wants if he was going to take a pay cut. I'm with you on this one, we just need to be aware of sucker punch the Spurs always gives us in free agency. I'll take anything to prolong us keeping TIMMY.