News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-14, 01:35 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Will Mills' Shoulder Injury Become an Issue?

I've noticed that Patti Mills has been wearing some tape on his right shoulder for quite a few games.

Then I saw this video footage from the locker room that has me a bit concerned.

Anyone know what happened or what the injury is?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-14, 09:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

*disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.
*second disclaimer: I'm only attempting to provide a perspective. NOT a diagnosis

But I am currently in PT for shoulder impingement syndrome, which I happened to get from playing too much competitive (club-level) tennis each week. It's in my non-dominant, left shoulder, and is probably the result of frequently swinging hard, and brushing up on a two-handed backhand, with non-ideal technique. My condition particularly affects overhead arm movements. I'm told that I can continue to play through it as long as symptoms don't worsen.

What I have learned:
1. The shoulder, like the entire human body, is ultra-complex
2. Muscles, tendons and joints can become inflamed through repetitive-use (after all, you wouldn't redline your car engine for 30 minutes at a time!)
3. The body (tissue) WILL heal through rest, cooling (ice), heat(!), stimulation, circulation, massage, strengthening, stretching and other treatments. I've improved a lot after 2 weeks (1PT session per week)
4. It is possible to play through many minor cases of inflammation.
5. Patty Mills is a star from down under and I'm so happy that he is a Spur
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-14, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hasn't seemed like an issue so far the dude is cold-blooded.
Old 04-14-14, 10:03 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yes, like every other minor injury to top 8 player in the team...

hope not ;-)
Old 04-14-14, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Maybe we can limit him to only 12 shots a game for the rest of the regular season.
Old 04-15-14, 05:58 AM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

This was mentioned on a recent telecast, I think the Mavs TNT one. This is a problem from his pre-Spur days, college I think. The tape is something new he's trying.
Old 04-15-14, 06:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Noticed we did not see him during the Houston game.

If this is an old college injury...

Wonder if this will limit his career?
Old 04-15-14, 08:51 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Patty has played in 80 games this season. So I'm sure he's going to be hurting a bit. But I'm sure he'll be ok... *fingers crossed*

Old 04-15-14, 09:05 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I'm not a Dr. either but I've been in the PT field for 13 years. What Patty has is called kinesio tape. A lot of athletes use it (football/baseball/tennis/etc.) It's usually more of a preventative measure as opposed to an actual injury. Athletes use it to maintain proper alignment or posture within the body. The tape stretches and alligns muscles to pull in certian directions. Again, this helps maintain the proper alignment of muscles and can actually prevent injuries.

Bottom line, I don't think it's actual cause for concern. He should be fine. Hope that helps
Old 04-15-14, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Esparzar:

I read your post about the K-tape and understand that.

But what about the ice on the shoulder?

Wouldn't that indicate a recent flare-up?

Given how good of a shooter he is, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he has put a LOT of mileage on his shooting arm. Kobe is famous for putting up 600+ shots per day.
Old 04-15-14, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthousandaces View Post
Esparzar:

I read your post about the K-tape and understand that.

But what about the ice on the shoulder?

Wouldn't that indicate a recent flare-up?

Given how good of a shooter he is, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he has put a LOT of mileage on his shooting arm. Kobe is famous for putting up 600+ shots per day.
Not necessarily. Timmy's been icing his knees down like that after every game for a few years and some athletes swear by the full body ice bath

Quote:
The Benefits of Ice Baths for Runners | Runner's World Long runs are essential to the training distance runners because they enable the body to adapt to running greater distances safely and efficiently. Unfortunately, long runs also increase the runner's risk of injury, which can result in unplanned—and unwelcome—time off. One simple way to offset the risks inherent to long bouts of running is cold-water immersion, known to many runners as the ice bath.

Cryotherapy ("cold therapy") constricts blood vessels and decreases metabolic activity, which reduces swelling and tissue breakdown. Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body. "Ice baths don't only suppress inflammation, but help to flush harmful metabolic debris out of your muscles," says David Terry, M.D., an ultrarunner who has finished both the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run and the Wasatch Front 100-Mile Endurance Run 10 consecutive times.
Old 04-15-14, 07:38 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Here's how you ice:

Old 04-15-14, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

haha believe it or not, i remeber my grand pa around 1980 - 1985 he died, age 65 running like 7miles daily and then taking bath like scola all the body , i always tought he was crazy old man (completly lucid and smart, but needs to be crazy to take those baths i was a child lol lolol)
Old 04-16-14, 11:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mills did not play against the Rockets, correct? That was the game immediately after the image at the top was captured.
Old 04-16-14, 02:48 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Mills did not play against the Rockets, correct? That was the game immediately after the image at the top was captured.
Neither did Green, Kawhi, or Splitter. Those four have been playing the most minutes when the big 3 don't play. Don't read too much into the pic, the game off was just rest for a guy who has played a lot more minutes this year than he ever has before.
Old 04-16-14, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
Neither did Green, Kawhi, or Splitter. Those four have been playing the most minutes when the big 3 don't play. Don't read too much into the pic, the game off was just rest for a guy who has played a lot more minutes this year than he ever has before.
I hope for the sake of our playoff hopes that you're 100% correct (and also that Patty is feeling better).