News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-14, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Another reason to love those classy Mavericks ;)

I once heard that one of the rules for arena operations handed down by the league was that home arena teams and their video operators were not allowed to show replays of controversial calls more than once on the jumbotron screens. I've since noticed that the Spurs clearly follow that rule at the AT&T Center, but also heard that the Mavericks often get quietly fined by the league because Mark Cuban (from his seat on the floor in Dallas) often cues the arena video replay operators to show controversial call replays.

Now this story:

The NBA issued a two-game suspension to Dallas Mavericks public-address announcer Sean Heath due to tweets criticizing officiating, multiple sources briefed on the situation told ESPNDallas.com. The suspension will begin Saturday night, when the Mavs face the Phoenix Suns in the final home game of the regular season. Heath will complete the suspension either in the first home game of the playoffs or next season's home opener, depending on whether the Mavs advance.

Heath, who declined to comment, wrote a series of tweets regarding the officiating after the Mavs' 122-120 overtime loss to the Golden State Warriors on April 1.

The league office acknowledged in a statement the next day that Warriors center Jermaine O'Neal should have been called for goaltending when he blocked a potential go-ahead shot by Mavs guard Monta Ellis with 16 seconds remaining in overtime.

Three of the tweets from Heath's account with 253 followers were directed to the NBA's account, the most inflammatory of which said that games such as the Mavs' loss to the Warriors are why the league has a "reputation that the games are rigged."

@nba Danny Crawford just blew a goaltending call and cost the Mavs a game. We will all be awaiting your apology. #pathetic

- Sean Heath (@theseanheath) April 2, 2014
@EyeOnBasketball That headline should read: Danny Crawford buries Mavericks. Again.

@nba If you have the technology to get calls right, we'd all LOVE to see it implemented as soon as possible. These. Games. Matter. #thefans

@nba : The ONLY professional league in the US with the reputation that the games are rigged. Know why? Because of games like tonight. #shame

Sources said that the league issued the suspension Thursday but granted a request from the Mavs to postpone it until the next game to give the team time to find a suitable replacement for Heath, who is known for his high volume and passion.

Dallas Mavericks PA announcer Sean Heath suspended for tweets - ESPN Dallas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-14, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

What a wuss.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-14, 01:03 PM
The Master Baiter

Meh, he's only saying what we all think at one time or another. And the NBA does have the worst officiating of all major sports.
Old 04-11-14, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Meh, he's only saying what we all think at one time or another. And the NBA does have the worst officiating of all major sports.
+1

Atleast Crawford isn't ejecting Dirk for looking like a caveman.
Old 04-11-14, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This is dumb. The NBA shouldn't have any power over this guy. He's technically just a fan with a microphone. I understand he works for the team, but so do the ball boys, janitors, trainers, etc. Would they all get suspended if they tweeted the same thing? Do they think it's some big secret that NBA refs miss calls? It's dumb for them to go all Vladamir Putin on people for pointing out their flaws.
Old 04-11-14, 02:44 PM
SR Team Goof

It's true, we all think the officiating sucks at one time or the other but Heath put it in writing. Besides, he'll probably be heavily compensated by Dallas to make up for any lost wages or gratuities. They may even throw him a parade. Class act for Dallas. Cuban must be so proud.
Old 04-11-14, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What ever!
Old 04-11-14, 04:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Mavs have had like 3 games literally decided against them on bad officiating in the last 2 years. Sucks for them.

$
Old 04-11-14, 05:07 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Over the years I've grown to have a little bit of respect for Cuban and the mavs, I know it may be blasphemy as a spurs fan, but I do find myself pulling for them if they aren't playing the spurs. This guy said what everyone was thinking, and honestly they did blow the call because it was pretty obvious that it was a goal tend. My understanding of the rule is that they can review the goaltend if they call it, but not if they don't. I could be wrong, but if that's the case you would think they would call it if it was that close. If only to review it...
Old 04-11-14, 07:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post
Over the years I've grown to have a little bit of respect for Cuban and the mavs, I know it may be blasphemy as a spurs fan, but I do find myself pulling for them if they aren't playing the spurs. This guy said what everyone was thinking, and honestly they did blow the call because it was pretty obvious that it was a goal tend. My understanding of the rule is that they can review the goaltend if they call it, but not if they don't. I could be wrong, but if that's the case you would think they would call it if it was that close. If only to review it...
If that is the rule, then its pretty stupid. If goaltending is reviewable, then it should be reviewable whether it was called or not. Reminds me of that stupid rule they changed in the NFL after the NFC championship game.
Old 04-12-14, 02:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I still hate Cuban maybe even more than I used too haha. Bottomline is the orginization has no class. And that starts from the owner down.
Old 04-12-14, 08:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Update :

Quote:
P.A. announcer still behind mic: Less than 24 hours after word leaked that the NBA planned to suspend Mavericks public address announcer Sean Heath for two games for sending tweets that were critical of officiating.

A Mavericks source said Friday that there will be no suspension. Instead, according to the source, the Mavericks were fined $25,000.

" 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001100 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110010 01110011 "
Old 04-12-14, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

"The evil empire," known as the NBA, has caved in to fan pressure-- something Lord David Stern Vader never have done.

Wow.