News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-14, 12:35 AM
The Master Baiter

This thread has gotten funny, because we are fighting over mediocre players. I agree, the Spurs really had no choice but to sign Splitter. He does a job and does it better than other big men on the team. They had been looking for a consistent big man since the days of Nazr/Rasho. Admittedly, he's rounded out to be decent role player. But there's no need to try to trump him up like he's above average. He's just not. And if we're talking about decent defense, just today I saw an ancient Vince Carter put in a layup over him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-14, 04:21 AM
Moderator in Flip Flops

Tiago plays well with Duncan and can help with big lineups, see Grizzlies. Surprisingly,with Duncan and Diaw exceptional passers from the post averaging 2.4 and 2.8 assists per game, Splitter holds his own at over 2 assists a game...

Bottom Line... Splitter scores 10 or more , the Spurs WIN... Their record after Thursday's win: 24-0... (Mods, it's been awhile since I've been on, what is that smiley with the big eyes called when you're shocked by a statistic or something?)
Pass is PINPOINT PERFECT
and somebody ends up WIDE OPEN
No Flash No Gimmicks NO CHANCE OF STOPPING IT
IT'S THE QUIET GUYS YOU SHOULD FEAR
because words are small and GAME IS BIG

GO GO!

I AM NINJA!
"We will either find a way, or make one."
~Hannibal~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-11-14, 07:13 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

So the entire meat and potatoes of this argument... Splitter is NOT worth 40 million or even close..

Also, we may have a great record when splitter score 10 or more... I don't think that stat is ANY indication of Splitter value .. I think that stat (which I also heard on TV last night and lsughed) is silly. I would be willing to bet most of those wins, splitter could have scored 5 or less and we still would have won. I bet spurs have a great record when splitter pulls down 3 rebounds or less too... Since that's the norm.

But again, my whole issue is his contract... I think he is ridiculously overpaid.

Last edited by TimmyDthaWay2B; 04-11-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
This thread has gotten funny, because we are fighting over mediocre players. I agree, the Spurs really had no choice but to sign Splitter. He does a job and does it better than other big men on the team. They had been looking for a consistent big man since the days of Nazr/Rasho. Admittedly, he's rounded out to be decent role player. But there's no need to try to trump him up like he's above average. He's just not. And if we're talking about decent defense, just today I saw an ancient Vince Carter put in a layup over him.
Hopefully no one is fighting...
Old 04-11-14, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
So the entire meat and potatoes of this argument... Splitter is NOT worth 40 million or even close..

Also, we may have a great record when splitter score 10 or more... I don't think that stat is ANY indication of Splitter value .. I think that stat (which I also heard on TV last night and lsughed) is silly. I would be willing to bet most of those wins, splitter could have scored 5 or less and we still would have won. I bet spurs have a great record when splitter pulls down 3 rebounds or less too... Since that's the norm.

But again, my whole issue is his contract... I think he is ridiculously overpaid.
if you watch the game last night, Splitter did a decent job covering Dork, and yes he scored over 10 and spurs won, what does this means? is that he gets involved on the offensive end and those ugly shots keep falling for him then he plays with more enthus on the defensive end, he wont block ya, or steal a ball, he ll play solid and spurs win, again, Tiago scoring points is about being involved and not the amount of points he scores (this is just a measuring stick), it means the ball is moving around going in and out and spurs win doing this every time
Old 04-11-14, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This whole thing was started on what I call "the Grass Is Greener" syndrome.
Tiago is under contract and maybe JUST MAYBE we could have done better. So we are stuck with him for better or worse. Let's all pull together for him and our Spurs. Go Spurs Go!!
Old 04-11-14, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
This whole thing was started on what I call "the Grass Is Greener" syndrome.
Tiago is under contract and maybe JUST MAYBE we could have done better. So we are stuck with him for better or worse. Let's all pull together for him and our Spurs. Go Spurs Go!!
Don't get me wrong, I want Splitter to tear it up... I'd gladly be tarred and feather I'm public if this happened...
Old 04-11-14, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
if you watch the game last night, Splitter did a decent job covering Dork, and yes he scored over 10 and spurs won, what does this means? is that he gets involved on the offensive end and those ugly shots keep falling for him then he plays with more enthus on the defensive end, he wont block ya, or steal a ball, he ll play solid and spurs win, again, Tiago scoring points is about being involved and not the amount of points he scores (this is just a measuring stick), it means the ball is moving around going in and out and spurs win doing this every time
I guess he did a decent job. I know Manu chewed his ass out for something last night ... Splitter dropped the ball on defense a few times last night too.. It is what it is though.... My argument kind of evolved (or de-evolved) into me just insulting his game... I just think he makes way too much for what he brings to the table. That's all

I'll still root for Tiago to do well for sure though...
Old 04-11-14, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The problem with Splitter making so much is that he ties up cap space. Simply not worth it, even though he's probably the best center we could get.

$
Old 04-12-14, 02:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
In your opinion, what would be an appropriate salary for Tiago?
Old 04-12-14, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Splitters contract was excellently executed by the Spurs.

The position the Spurs were in was lose Tiago and have a huge hole at the C position, or overpay Tiago. So what they did was give Tiago a contract that started high, and got smaller and smaller. They took the pain of the overpaying in the early years. By the time TD retires (after next season), Centers like Tiago will be being overpaid even worse than Tiago. In 2015/2016 Tiago will have 16.75 million left on his contract (8.5 in 15/16 and 8.25 in 16/17). By that time . . . with the way salaries inflate each year, that will be a very good contract. It fact, I think it will be a tradeable asset.

So I will agree that Tiago has been overpaid for last season and this season, but of all the overpaid players that teams get forced to sign, this is one of the least offensive in the league, and the Spurs Front Office did the right thing.
Old 04-12-14, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I think Splitters contract was excellently executed by the Spurs.

The position the Spurs were in was lose Tiago and have a huge hole at the C position, or overpay Tiago. So what they did was give Tiago a contract that started high, and got smaller and smaller. They took the pain of the overpaying in the early years. By the time TD retires (after next season), Centers like Tiago will be being overpaid even worse than Tiago. In 2015/2016 Tiago will have 16.75 million left on his contract (8.5 in 15/16 and 8.25 in 16/17). By that time . . . with the way salaries inflate each year, that will be a very good contract. It fact, I think it will be a tradeable asset.

So I will agree that Tiago has been overpaid for last season and this season, but of all the overpaid players that teams get forced to sign, this is one of the least offensive in the league, and the Spurs Front Office did the right thing.
Well said.
Two things not mentioned here is Tiago's heart and willingness to play within the Spurs system.The guy always runs the floor, looks kind of goofy at times but never quits. Front office is always looking ahead not at yesterday and today. These things are priceless. Time will Tell.
Old 04-12-14, 04:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The biggest question is when Tiago's contract was up and the Spurs had to make a decision, who could they have signed that would have been better for the Spurs system? Decent 7fters that can run the floor, give you a few points from posting up, rebound and defend don't grow on trees. Plus he can pass fairly well. Trust me, I am no Tiago fan but I think his biggest weakness is his confidence is easily shaken and his hands aren't very good. But seriously who else could they have signed at that point in time that would have been better?