SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Take a step back and marvel at this team (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121381-take-step-back-marvel-team.html)

Guapo 04-01-14 02:42 AM

Take a step back and marvel at this team

San Antonio Spurs. Take a step back and marvel at this team. No, not the 18 wins in a row after they beat the Pacers Monday, or at least not just that. Rather, marvel at the precision with which this team plays the game if you are a fan of basketball you need to appreciate the Spurs. Their ability to recognize something simple that Tim Duncan has sealed Roy Hibbert and with two quick passes they can get him a layup (and they did, Tony Parker passed from the wing to Boris Diaw at the elbow, who hit Duncan) is a thing of beauty. They play to their strengths. They move the ball and move off the ball. When they set a screen they get a piece of the defender then roll or pop. They are selfless and as Gregg Popovich has instructed they give up a good shot for a great one. In a couple years they are going to break this team up and we will all be the worse for it.

Monday NBA grades: Celebrating the beautiful game of the Spurs | NBC Sports

mckennaspur1 04-01-14 09:45 AM

The streak has been a marvel to watch. I don't expect it to last, and it doesn't guarantee anything moving forward. But for more than a month, the Spurs have brilliantly demonstrated the beauty of this game when it's played "the right way".

Spurd_On 04-01-14 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 (Post 1310163)
The streak has been a marvel to watch. I don't expect it to last, and it doesn't guarantee anything moving forward. But for more than a month, the Spurs have brilliantly demonstrated the beauty of this game when it's played "the right way".

Well said.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

KAD 04-01-14 10:32 AM

Ok Good others around the league are starting to appreciate the cool way Spurs play!

Eddy from Austin 04-01-14 10:55 AM

Still, Spurs haters are saying. "We've seeing this before, 2012 Spurs go on a 20 game winning streak and then lose 4 straight to OKC. Now that Westbrook is healthy for the Playoffs BLAH BLAH BLAH...

To which I'd say in the playoffs of 2012 we didn't have a Patty Mills "Supreme" or a well seasoned Danny Green, or Bellinelli and Kawhi was a Rookie.

pessimist 04-01-14 11:15 AM

I've been most excited about not seeing Bonner on the court. Not sure if it's true, but it seems like since his minutes were cut - the Spurs went on this streak. I know . . . . I know . . . . Leonard came back. It just seems like there is a coincidence between his minutes being cut to the Spurs going on a long streak.

choppsboy 04-01-14 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1310167)
Still, Spurs haters are saying. "We've seeing this before, 2012 Spurs go on a 20 game winning streak and then lose 4 straight to OKC. Now that Westbrook is healthy for the Playoffs BLAH BLAH BLAH...

To which I'd say in the playoffs of 2012 we didn't have a Patty Mills "Supreme" or a well seasoned Danny Green, or Bellinelli and Kawhi was a Rookie.

And the thing we didn't have most was a Tiago Splitter that can shoot free throws.

His poor free throw shooting lost us that series.

Eddy from Austin 04-01-14 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1310169)
And the thing we didn't have most was a Tiago Splitter that can shoot free throws.

His poor free throw shooting lost us that series.

Good point.

gwilly101 04-01-14 12:28 PM

IMO One of the Spurs biggest keys to success is that they hold each and everyone accountable. They didn't go and blow up the team after OKC beat them 4 straight in 2012. They made small personnel changes and every player got better in their own way. Greens perimeter shooting, Kawhis offense and defense, Tiagos ft's, Mills and Diaws weight and conditioning, etc. Basically every player they bring in has worked his tail off to improve for the sake of the team. Other teams always say we have to make a trade or get a big free agent. Spurs do that if the right opportunity presents itself but mainly just go out and say we can be better than last year if we put the work in. I love that mentality. Definitely a blessing to watch the team play over the last 20 years.