News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-14, 02:56 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

What Will the San Antonio Spurs Do When Gregg Popovich Walks Away?

Created on Sunday, 30 March 2014 02:30
Last Updated on Sunday, 30 March 2014 19:52
Written by Travis Pulver - MVPTexas.com

A generation of basketball fans in San Antonio have known just two things for the last 17 seasons—winning and head coach Gregg Popovich.

Gregg Popovich is known for being kind of a gruff individual. He doesn’t seem to smile very much and has become known for giving some of the shortest and funniest interviews in the game. He has also managed to keep the Spurs at or near the top of the NBA hierarchy for close to two decades.

That kind of success brings just one question to mind—not to be a naysayer, but when will it all end?

The obvious answer would be when Tim Duncan and Popovich leave; something that could happen any season now. In the past Popovich has said he was going to stay around as long as Duncan does. For his part Duncan says he’s taking it game by game.

Both have won all the individual honors to go with the championship rings so there is nothing but a love of the game and maybe the desire for one more ring keeping them in. Since a love for the game is something that never dies it is quite likely another championship—something they could very well win this season.

So if they do does that mean the San Antonio Spurs are done? Are they going to fall from their lofty height and become just another franchise?

Not if the franchise sticks with what has worked for the last 17 years.

READ MORE AT MVPTEXAS.COM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-14, 03:52 PM
The Master Baiter

I think Pop saying he leaves when Duncan leaves was 'tongue in cheek'. I'm sure he'll stay around a little bit longer in respect to Parker.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-30-14, 04:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

They will hire me as President of Basketball Operations......lol
Old 03-30-14, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I see no reason to doubt Pop's claim that he'll leave with Timmy. Manu will either be gone by them or will join them.

That'll leave TP to decide whether he wants to stay with a rebuilding team (albeit with solid pieces in people like Kawhi), work out a trade to or an FA contract with an NBA contender or simply to become a player-coach-owner of a top French team.

As for Pop, he sticks around in an emeritus capacity unless RC also leaves, meaning an overhaul of the entire FO structure.

It's gonna be a tough day when all that happens.
Old 03-30-14, 04:45 PM
SR Team Goof

I have to go along with Uwe in the sense that Pop might stick around to see what becomes of TP and Manu, if he’s still playing beyond Timmy’s retirement. When the big 3 do decide to walk away, whether it be via retirement or trade, Pop or whoever is the new head coach will be faced with a slight rebuilding situation and I don’t think Pop would want to go through that. He could very well stick around in a front office position to keep his fingers in the pot, i.e., like Red Auerbach with the Celtics in the day, and act as advisor but not as the head honcho on the court. Personally, I would hope that the Spurs FO could persuade Manu to stick around in some official capacity, whether it be as a coach or in a player development position. His floor leadership and experience would be invaluable to the Spurs franchise in the future, IMHO.
Old 03-30-14, 04:48 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
They will hire me as President of Basketball Operations......lol
Will, if you are hired as President of Basketball Operations, I would think your first primary project would be to find a way to retain Matt Bonner's services into his retirement.

Old 03-30-14, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

nobody wants to retire, we win it this year, lets go for back to backs, come on people, I love the spurs, the way they play, Duncan said it best: I will play until the wheels come off, number 1 last four years, not even thinking about that, just ask the lakers, Celtics and bulls
Old 04-01-14, 08:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I spoke to one of the owners last week and asked this very question. He told me that "Pop will stay as long as we give him a good team."
Old 04-01-14, 09:31 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Will, if you are hired as President of Basketball Operations, I would think your first primary project would be to find a way to retain Matt Bonner's services into his retirement.

I would resign before doing that...lol
Old 04-01-14, 09:35 PM
SR Team Goof

But....but....but Will.....
Old 04-03-14, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

When Pop leaves I will demand that the NBA disband.

There's no reason to play basketball after that.

$
Old 04-05-14, 09:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

avery johnson will be the next spurs coach. maybe 3-4 yrs down the road. love it or hate it, i see it coming
Old 04-05-14, 10:42 AM
SR Team Goof

If not Avery Johnson, how about Manu Ginobili, after he retires that is?
Old 04-05-14, 12:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

God, I'd hate to have Avery's yappy little voice running the Spurs. Ginobili would be fun, but wouldn't he want to go back home to Argentina and have a hand in their national organization?
Old 04-05-14, 01:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

How about Bonner for head coach?
Old 04-05-14, 02:19 PM
SR Team Goof

We would have to run that by our soon-to-be President of Basketball Operations WillTheThrill for his approval.
Old 04-06-14, 03:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
How about Bonner for head coach?
More like ball boy!lol
Old 04-08-14, 09:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Manu doesn't strike me as the coach type. I'd be really surprised.

Sean Marks for head coach!

$
Old 04-08-14, 11:49 AM
The Master Baiter

I agree that I can't see Manu as a head coach. Usually, when great players try coaching, it seems like they have a disconnect with their players, possibly because they don't see the same level of competitiveness that they played with themselves. I know Larry Bird coached Indiana to the Finals, but he had great assistants and only lasted 3 years. Magic was a fail. The only really successful superstar that coached, that I can think of, was Bill Russell. And he was a player/coach for the Celtics.
Old 04-08-14, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
What Will the San Antonio Spurs Do When Gregg Popovich Walks Away?
Have a retirement party?