News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-14, 03:47 PM
SR Team Goof

Ginobili takes blame for sneaker blowout

Much to his chagrin, Manu Ginobili endured one of the more unusual moments of the 2013-14 season when one of his custom Nikes basically blew up in last months home victory over Detroit.

Ginobili was none too pleased to answer questions about the mishap after the game, no doubt hoping to deflect poor press for his long-time sponsor. But he was a bit more open about the subject, going so far as to take responsibility during his regular column with Argentine newspaper La Nacion:

I never experienced anything like that, not even close. It was my fault. For the past several years I had two shoe boxes in the garage, no air conditioning, and here in San Antonio, now moving from 40 degrees to (warm weather). That combination is very bad for the material. I used a pair of these shoes and what happened happened.

Lots of other little details in the piece, including the upcoming birth of his third child with wife Many and the Spurs remarkable consistency, which he compared to Ryan Giggs partnership in soccer with Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Link to article: San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis Spurs Nation Ginobili takes blame for sneaker blowout
Old 03-19-14, 03:56 PM
SR Team Goof

I wonder if Nike sales went down or faltered subsequent to the shoe 'blowout'? Could Manu be falling on his sword at the behest of Nike? I've never known a shoe, stored in the fashion that Manu describes, to do this, at least not new shoes. When I played ball in Ohio during my high school and college years, I went through some shoes but it was always the tread and the seams were OK. But those were the days when a manufacturer was looking more at quality than quantity and they were mostly made in USA, Converse All-Stars and Nike wasn't a household name yet.
Old 03-19-14, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

hahahaha!!! yeah right!! it was his fault!!
Old 03-19-14, 04:38 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Manu took one for team Nike.

On a personal note, I find that I wear through basketball shoes far more quickly these days than I ever have in the past. One pair used to get me through a spring-summer of outdoor pick-up play. Over the past 2-3 years, I've had to replace my shoes in mid-season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-14, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeah... i noticed my running shoes (used like daily shoes) now wear down kickly ...maybe my adittional 20lbs, but it can be quality drop...
Old 03-19-14, 06:01 PM
Administrator

But it wasn't only Manu's shoes, it was two other players and they were both wearing Nikes.
Old 03-19-14, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

the same night???
Old 03-19-14, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

translation- * Gotta keep getting them Nike checks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-14, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
the same night???

no 2 different nights.
Old 03-20-14, 01:10 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

The NBA has an exploding sneaker epidemic - SBNation.com

Old 03-20-14, 11:12 AM
SR Team Goof

Egads!!! I hope the NBA launches a full scale investigation into this matter to insure its not infectious and keeps from spreading throughout the league. They need to validate that the infected players didnt cross paths or whether they have the same Nike representative. Frankly, I think its a conspiracy by either Red Ball Jets or US Keds to grab back some of the advertising market. SARCASM
Old 03-20-14, 12:01 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

every time i see gif or video of manu xploding sneaker...

dang!!! injury on timmys "good" leg was real close in that action!!
Old 03-20-14, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Michael Jordan personally apologizes for an Air Jordan sneaker malfunction

Michael Jordan personally apologizes for an Air Jordan sneaker malfunction

arely do you see the face of any franchise assuming customer service duties but Michael Jordan seems to have done just that in the wake of a shoe malfunction bearing his iconic name and silhouette.

Last Friday, Philadelphia 76ers guard Tony Wroten lost the sole of his right 'Air Jordan 10's' in freakish fashion during the fourth quarter. While trying to drive on the Indiana Pacers' Evan Turner, Wroten's shoe seemingly exploded. Wroten had to head to the locker room and later told the Delaware News Journal "it was more embarrassing than anything."

But the footwear fallout led to a personal apology from "His Airness" himself. For a player like Wroten who prides himself on having some of the best kicks in the game, this seems like an ideal turn of events. Wroten shared the silver lining with the News Journal, "I got an apology from Jordan. Yeah. He called my agent." :drummer
Old 03-21-14, 03:34 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Tony Wroten said he received an apology from Michael Jordan after one of the 76ers guard's Nike basketball shoes fell apart during a loss against the Indiana Pacers on Friday in Philadelphia. "It was more embarrassing than anything," Wroten said Wednesday. "But things happen. I got an apology from Jordan. Yeah. … He called my agent."

Wroten: Jordan apologized after Nike shoe tore apart
Old 03-21-14, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Hmm perhaps it is Nike quality deteriorating!
Old 03-21-14, 12:30 PM
The Master Baiter

I've never thought Nike made quality shoes, especially enough to charge over $100 for. Mine would hurt after a few months. They are also made in Indonesia, China and Vietnam. So that should explain it.
Old 03-21-14, 06:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Jordan never apologized, Wroten was misquoted.