News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-14, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

On the Phil Jackson hiring by the Knicks...

Across the league rival coaches and executives reacted similarly to New York's hire: For $12 million -- the annual salary the Knicks reportedly will pay Jackson -- the Knicks could have gotten so much more. The modern day executive has changed. Former players leading front offices are dwindling. Bright, energetic minds like Sam Presti in Oklahoma City or Ryan McDonough in Phoenix, Daryl Morey in Houston and Masai Ujiri in Toronto have taken over. David Stern's dream of a global game has been realized and tireless workaholics with a keen understanding of advanced analytics have taken advantage of it. The Knicks could have plucked Oklahoma City's Troy Weaver or Washington's Tommy Sheppard. They could have thrown cash and titles at San Antonio's RC Buford. But this is the franchise that chose to sit on the sidelines when Ujiri was a free agent last spring, when he moved into the Knicks division to the Raptors for $3 million per season. Under Dolan, the franchise has always preferred style to substance.

Knicks' palace intrigue may complicate Phil Jackson's plans - NBA - Chris Mannix - SI.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-14, 07:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Overpaying high profile public figures is a New York tradition. That doesn't seem to have changed. However this one is smarter than those of the past. Jerry West comes to mind as a former player running a front office who did well. Larry Byrd is another. Pat Riley and so on...

Last edited by Spurd_On; 03-16-14 at 07:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-14, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

To be clear, I am not a Phil Jackson fan. But his name has a chance of luring free agents. Even though he has only won titles with having TWO of the best players in the world on his team, he is highly regarded.
Old 03-16-14, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Whatever.
Old 03-16-14, 03:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I think Phil was trying to get another big day and found a sucker in the Knicks. Coaching wise he was great but it also helps to have hall of famers on your squads too.(MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, etc.)Front office wise.....I don't see it translating into wins anytime soon. Personally, I hate the guy but I admit he was an elite coach. I don't care for his smug attitude and that might not help get in the talent they need player wise.(or even getting along with player agents) Pat Riley at least gets players to buy into what he is doing for less money. In New York, I just see Phil paying players out the nose to recruit them. Problem is the cap is getting tighter on luxury tax. Miami has had their cap issues but they are getting results at least. New York, Brooklyn, Lakers are not. Good luck Phil.......You are going to need it bud.
Old 03-16-14, 05:19 PM
SR Team Goof

I have to go along with you, Will, I don’t like the guy either but he seemed to be at the right place at the right time with Chicago and LA with the right players already on board. I didn't appreciate his psych and head games. The only thing that would make me happy with the Knicks recruiting him is if they bring in Isiah Thomas as his advisor (sarcasm). I’m waiting to see how he gets the Knicks house in order, management-wise and player- roster wise and how he attacks the draft and free agency in the months ahead. It might get a little warm around the MSG offices this summer.
Old 03-16-14, 08:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

PJax is hustlin' Dolan. That's OK: everybody hustles Dolan. Knicks can't be fixed by a guy who doesn't know jack about personnel or contracts, wants to split time between NYC and Playa del Rey and whose hiring announcement was held up until his perk package was clarified.

Knicks' front office had its savior a few years ago in Donny Walsh. He cleaned up the titanic Isiah mess and was putting together a workable roster. Then Dolan gutted what Walsh had accomplished to get Melo and JR Smith. Walsh escaped from the nuthouse.
Old 03-19-14, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Not impressed at all. Seems Phil always latches on to teams with multiple stars or high end players. Go take Toronto,Orlando or Charlotte to the finals. Build something that's not there.....not a hand picked team! Phil sux @$$ still!
Old 03-20-14, 01:34 PM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
PJax is hustlin' Dolan. That's OK: everybody hustles Dolan. Knicks can't be fixed by a guy who doesn't know jack about personnel or contracts, wants to split time between NYC and Playa del Rey and whose hiring announcement was held up until his perk package was clarified.

Knicks' front office had its savior a few years ago in Donny Walsh. He cleaned up the titanic Isiah mess and was putting together a workable roster. Then Dolan gutted what Walsh had accomplished to get Melo and JR Smith. Walsh escaped from the nuthouse.
Agree 100%

Don't forget also that New York is a terribly expensive place to live and work when you've never seen or heard of a dollar menu in your life. I think they're mostly paying for PJAX's winning persona and new "energy" to placate/energize fans for their thirty years of failures. (Your results will vary)
Dolan spends and waste his cable subscriber's money like water. Most NYC sports teams traditionally overspend on everything because they can and "style over substance" is no exaggeration. Hell look at the Brooklyn Nets payroll and players and this year's results for the Nets and the Knicks. Isiah Thomas spent and wasted millions for years. IMHO Phil won't last three years nor do I think he really wants to.

Lakers suck.