News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-14, 01:14 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

We've had a tough time beating them, Anyone worried about these guys?

After getting off to a 21-13 November and December, the Rockets have been 23-8 since January 1. The only team with a better winning percentage in 2014 has been the Los Angeles Clippers, at 26-8. A big reason is the resurgence of Dwight Howard, who seems to be recovered from the 2012 back surgery that hampered his lone season with the Los Angeles Lakers last season. Howard, a three-time defensive player of the year, has not only helped the Rockets in what was one of their weaknesses last year, but has averaged 19.7 points and 13.1 rebounds per 36 minutes. "The biggest thing is his health," Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said of Howard. "If you watched closely last season, he started the year off slowly and finished the year very well. And this year, he's just continued on. Everyone talks about the defense, but offensively, he's very good."

Houston Rockets have come together in 2014
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-14, 01:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am not worried.

Splitter plays very well against Howard. Splitter gets under his skin.

I am more worried about OKC. They have the best winning % against teams above .500 in the league.

We get past them, we win it all.

I am going to Lake Tahoe to put $100 on the Spurs to win the championship tomorrow.
Old 03-16-14, 01:47 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Well since McHale publicly said Noah should be defensive player of the year... and I'm sure Howard is going to start pouting... because that's what he does. So not too worried about them.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-14, 02:12 AM
SR Team Goof

Nah.

Old 03-16-14, 02:23 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

im worried
okc, houston, Clippers, Miami, indiana, even golden state and portland...

worries is okay... fear not ;-)
Old 03-16-14, 04:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

No worry here - the law of avergaes catches up and the spurs will beat the Rockets if they meet in the Playoffs - I think the meet for 1 more game before the PO start?
Old 03-16-14, 04:31 AM
The Master Baiter

I'm a little worried. Howard clogs the paint and makes life hard for TP. They also kill the Spurs in the rebound department. It would be interesting and not easy.
Old 03-16-14, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
im worried
okc, houston, Clippers, Miami, indiana, even golden state and portland...

worries is okay... fear not ;-)
Well said.

The Rockets have been a match up for the Spurs thus far. There do seem to be other teams that don't have such an issue. Hopefully they will be taken out by another team in the playoffs.

Old 03-16-14, 09:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

worried about Howard? Never. With his physical abilities, he should be DOMINATING the league. He doesn't. He gives up when things get hard (see last year's playoffs). Worried about Harden? Yes. He always seems to play well against SAS. His driving wrecks havoc on the defense.
Old 03-16-14, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Rookie

well, this is a very good second round matchup, if we get to hang to the number 1 seed, and Houston has a bit of edge matchup advantage just because now they think they can beat us based on this season record against us, having said this, I rather see Houston than the clipps in the second round, just because the flippers teams have been together a bit longer than Houston, I believe LA has something to prove and will beat OKC if they meet in the second round, Houston is just staring to play well regular season, but playoffs and second round not battle tested yet, at least not this group
Old 03-16-14, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Not worried about Houston in playoffs.. Pretty certain it would take spurs no more than 6. OKC concerns me. They match up well against us.
Old 03-16-14, 11:26 AM
The Master Baiter

A 6 or 7 game series is not an easy series. And don't forget that both Harden and Howard have been to the Finals. They have extensive experience, and many of the rotation guys have been to the playoffs before. Don't mistake this team for a team like Portland.
Old 03-16-14, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

No more than 6, I would guess 5. I don't think it matters if Howard has been to the playoffs. He is overrated.. He is still so raw offensively. Harden can go off for 40 at any time, but slap Leonard on him and I like his chances to contain him. We are so much deeper than Houston, I just think we would overwhelm them. Granted we are healthy.
Old 03-16-14, 08:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah only OKC and Heat really keep me up at night, the Rockets don't have the playoff experience.... its not just get up for one game against a team and move on it is an ongoing battle that I don't think they are up to yet.
Old 03-17-14, 07:56 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

NOPE....not worried at all! Assuming the standings in the west stay as they are. I'd love to see Houston in the 2nd round over LAC. They can't play defense to save their lives, they're not deep, minimal PO experience, and depend on the 3 ball waaaaaay to much. LAC on the other hand worry me a "little", they're playing good D, have great depth, and Griffin can actually hit a jump shot now.
Old 03-17-14, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Do the clips really pplay defense? I'm sure they have improved, but I feel like Ive seen a llot of high scoring games with them... Either way, I think we handle the clips too... parker owns cp3.
Old 03-17-14, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Do the clips really pplay defense? I'm sure they have improved, but I feel like Ive seen a llot of high scoring games with them... Either way, I think we handle the clips too... parker owns cp3.
With Doc at the helm, I won't be surprised if the Clippers enter the playoffs using Pat Riley/Knicks defense. It could be nasty.

Old 03-17-14, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B View Post
Just looked it up and they have 6th ranked defence and we are 8th according to ESPN 2013-14 Regular Season NBA Team Stats and League Leaders - Defense Per Game - National Basketball Association - ESPN

I had also heard that they were really working on this, I am still only really concerned with Heat and OKC but Doc is a good coach so they are going to be better than previous years.