SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Only the greats win with their original team? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121284-only-greats-win-their-original-team.html)

MRJONESIII 03-15-14 02:35 PM

Only the greats win with their original team?

Just to name a few that couldn't win with their original draft team. Garnett, Shaq, Drexler, LeBron.....The media always puts the Great tag on players,but the true greats stick it out with their original teams and produce championships. Magic, Bird, Jordan, Robinson,Duncan, Hakeem, Isaiah just to name a few. Why won't and can't these new, so-called greats can't win without half of the other best players in the league? Greed,poor management? Thoughts anyone?

Spurd_On 03-15-14 04:16 PM

I don't consider Shaq or Garnett to be "Greats". They were freakishly blessed with talent and very good. Neither had any sort of loyalty to anything or anyone.
LeBron will go down in history as a great but also has loyalty to nothing or at least at the time of his decision did not. There is time to change that perception of him.
Drexler was loyal to Portland for 12 or so years. It wasn't until the FO decided not to continue to surround him with talent and to rebuild, that Clyde asked to go elsewhere. I don't have any problem with that.

alh1020 03-15-14 04:28 PM

There could be many factors that play here, ie, player personality, his age and maturity, team and management leadership, the team’s history, the teams present agenda and goals, the support rendered by the city and fans, etc, etc.

I think where the player starts his career into the NBA has a lot to do with it. Example, there was a day when a rookie was drafted by the Clippers and his immediate fate was gloomy, basically because the Clipper management sucked and some of their coaching choices were questionable. However, somewhere along the line, their management saw this weird light bulb above their heads and it kept chiming ‘spend some money to get better players and coaches’. The Clippers today are a force to be reckoned with. I don’t know if Mr Sterling is still in charge of the Clippers but somebody blew the dust off their wallet and started spending. That move changed the teams focus completely around.

Sometimes it’s the team’s location (city) that may turn some players off; fan and city support to the team is a huge contributor but I think the bottom line lies with what kind of agenda the teams management has, the quality of their leadership and how they translate it to the players, fans, and city as a whole. And sometimes it just takes a lucky draw of a great player that can open the eyes of a mediocre team that gets the ball rolling.

And there are times when you, as a fan, would like to see a player stay with your team for his entire career and have his name added to the list you posted above. But sometimes in a teams history, there comes a time when the term 'rebuilding' is muttered and a player's path and future is changed for the sake of 'business'. Do we think Tony Parker will be added to your list or will Tony, after TD, Manu and Pop decide to retire, be traded because of his worth on the market.

When a newborn baby is brought into the world, no one can accurately predict what kind of person and status that child will hold in their future because there are too many obstacles along the way that can influence the path they will follow. And a basketball player's itinerary is a roll of the dice, anything can happen. Then again, sometimes my mouth moves and hot air comes out. But that's just my opinion. Thanks for asking.

exit7 03-15-14 04:57 PM

I don't think it applies to being great. Charles Barkley was great, Shaq was great and you have to admit that Lebron is and will be remembered that way.

The one thing they don't have is the legendary status that Jordan, bird, magic, Russell and Duncan will have. When you think of the bulls, Jordan comes to mind. The same with the celtics, lakers and spurs. The guys that stay with their original team, and win, will be a legend in those towns. That's something that Lebron will never have.

Guille 03-16-14 11:49 PM

In the case of the Spurs not only RObinson and Duncan, but also Tony and Manu came to the team via draft, albeit in late first and second round... So thereīs also that.
The Spurs formed a big three via great selections.
Something OKC couldīve done if they managed to keep Harden.

Kager 03-17-14 06:32 PM

Its not an exact science to say you couldn't win in first team, Jordan is arguably the greatest but if the Bulls didn't manage to get Scottie then he wouldn't have won. What happens then if he had to move to a better situation or never won a ring? Is he still the GOAT?

MRJONESIII 03-17-14 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1309522)
Its not an exact science to say you couldn't win in first team, Jordan is arguably the greatest but if the Bulls didn't manage to get Scottie then he wouldn't have won. What happens then if he had to move to a better situation or never won a ring? Is he still the GOAT?

Yes, that's my point. Guys these days are greedy and want their cake and eat it to. If they would take a little less and help build instead of sucking up all the cap money and leaving none to sign other good players....Garnett in Minnesota....they might could build something. Instead, they jump ship when things get tough and try and lure other top players to one team. MIA,NYK,BRK,LAC and so on. They all want to win,but don't want to sacrifice ala, Duncan/Tom Brady.