News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-14, 05:20 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Jermaine O'Neal confronts Blake Griffin outside the locker room

LOS ANGELES -- Golden State Warriors forward Jermaine O'Neal confronted forward Blake Griffin in the hallway outside the Los Angeles Clippers' locker room at Staples Center after L.A.'s 111-98 win Wednesday night.

The two had a heated conversation that was quickly broken up by a Clippers official who led Griffin to the adjacent news conference room.

O'Neal, 35, had dressed and was waiting outside the Clippers' locker room to talk to Griffin.

Griffin, who was walking to the news conference room to take questions from reporters, could be heard telling O'Neal to "leave that s--- on the court" before the two were separated and briefly shook hands.

With 8:55 left in the fourth quarter, O'Neal got a technical foul as he walked toward the Clippers' bench and continued talking to Griffin before O'Neal's teammates and officials directed him back to the Warriors' bench.

The games between the Clippers and Warriors have been especially physical and heated over the past two seasons, with Griffin getting ejected when they met Christmas Day.

Griffin did not care to discuss his conversations with O'Neal when later taking questions.

"Nah," he said. "That's between me and him."

Blake Griffin of Los Angeles Clippers, Jermaine O'Neal of Golden State Warriors share heated postgame talk - ESPN Los Angeles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-14, 02:28 AM
SR Team Goof

Jermaine O’Neal explains his reasoning for confronting Blake Griffin outside locker room following loss to Clippers

Jermaine O’Neal is in his 18th NBA season, and has had his share of dust-ups over the years.

He also has been around long enough to have a firm perception of what is and what isn’t acceptable behavior between opponents on the court, which by itself may explain why he chose to wait for Blake Griffin outside the Clippers locker room following a loss in L.A. earlier this week.

But O’Neal elaborated anyway, essentially saying that Griffin committed an unspecified act of basketball treason that somehow crossed the line.

From Monte Poole of CSN Bay Area:

“It was some things that were said,” O’Neal said after the team’s Friday morning shootaround, “and in this league you want to put clearance to it. And we did. After the game, it felt like it was appropriate to address.” …

“It’s understood what the line is,” O’Neal said. “We’re paid to be basketball players and to play the game the right way and do things the right way. And when you cross the line in saying things and doing things, you address it and you move on. We’ve moved on.” …

“Sometimes things happen during games or things are said during games that shouldn’t necessarily be said or done,” he said. “But then as men, you talk about it. You shake on it and move on. I don’t have any animosity toward him, hopefully he doesn’t have any animosity toward me and hopefully that’s it.”

Plenty of players have gotten upset playing against Griffin, who is monstrously physical himself and almost never reacts to hard fouls or excessive contact unless punches are thrown.

Griffin’s initial response to O’Neal was to tell him to “leave that s— on the court,” before the two briefly shook hands.

We’ll never know exactly what went down here, or whether Griffin’s alleged infraction was verbal or physical. But whatever did happen was substantial enough for O’Neal to feel the need to address it.

Jermaine O’Neal explains his reasoning for confronting Blake Griffin outside locker room following loss to Clippers | ProBasketballTalk
Old 03-15-14, 02:32 AM
SR Team Goof

This must be 'pick on Blake Griffin week' as this happened earlier in the week:

Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin

P.J. Tucker had to know this was coming the second it happened. So did his coach, who tried to defend him anyway.

Phoenix’s Tucker has been suspended one game for “elbowing Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin in the chin” the league announced on Tuesday. Tucker will sit out Wednesday night when the Suns host the Cavaliers.

The incident happened midway through the fourth quarter. Griffin had the ball in the post with Tucker on his back, Griffin passed the ball out and when the three ball went up the two fought for rebounding position. Tucker and Griffin got tangled up, went to the ground and Griffin landed top — that’s when Tucker threw the elbow, which was really a forearm swing in an attempt to get Griffin off of him.

“We got tangled up and went down and, you know,” Griffin said after the game with a little smirk.”Took a little forearm. But you know, it happens.”

“(Tucker) got tackled, I’m not even sure how the foul was on him,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. “He’s standing there, Blake takes him right to the ground and rolls on top of him and he’s just trying to get him off. I don’t know why that would be a suspension.”

Yes you did. Nice try. This was the right call by the league.

Link to article: Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin | ProBasketballTalk
Old 03-15-14, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Looks to me like Griffin flat out tackles Tucker.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-14, 01:36 PM
SR Team Goof

Looks to me like some of Blake's phys ed classes at Univ of Oklahoma might have been in wrestling.
Old 03-15-14, 02:24 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

looks to me that this is exactly why we neededed metta world peace... imagine playoffs series, griffin arassing our beloved timmy or boris, and enter MWP subbing on of them, blake trying the same on metta, and clank! nose jab to griffin nose fight starts and ohh suspended game for both players... bench warmer vs Star lolol
Old 03-15-14, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
looks to me that this is exactly why we neededed metta world peace... imagine playoffs series, griffin arassing our beloved timmy or boris, and enter MWP subbing on of them, blake trying the same on metta, and clank! nose jab to griffin nose fight starts and ohh suspended game for both players... bench warmer vs Star lolol
I believe Metta is still out there and we still have an opening?
Old 03-17-14, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

All the flop city bandwagonners out there are somehow under the impression that it's the year of pick on Blakey Poo. Oh how they fail to see it seems that he and Cheapshot Chrissy are the common factor in probably about half of the physical confrontations that resulted in technicals this year.

Oh and Jermaine is having quite a quietly impressive second half of the season.

Last edited by jackc852; 03-17-14 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 05:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Looks to me like some of Blake's phys ed classes at Univ of Oklahoma might have been in wrestling.
Or Blake spent some time in Highpoint, NC getting some "hands on training"

Old 03-18-14, 08:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Griffin pulled the same move last light on Faried in Denver and got into a momentary tussel.