SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Secrecy shrouds search for new players union head (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121278-secrecy-shrouds-search-new-players-union-head.html)

SilverSpur 03-14-14 05:00 AM

Secrecy shrouds search for new players union head

NBA agent Jeff Schwartz: As a longtime and ardent supporter of the National Basketball Players Association, I am deeply troubled by the clandestine process to date in the search for the union's next Executive Director. This is a critical hire for the players, who have been impacted so negatively by the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement. Salaries are down leaguewide, contracts are shorter and include less guaranteed money than they once did and free-agent movement has been curtailed significantly at a time that NBA franchises are reaching record valuations. Leadership from the union's next Executive Director is essential to the ability of current and future generations of NBA players to restore many of the critical benefits that were lost in the last round of negotiations, but here we are again witnessing a search marked by the sort of troubling secrecy that has been synonymous with the NBPA for years.

Process for NBPA's search must change - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

SilverSpur 03-14-14 05:09 AM

Ben Bolch: NBA Communications tweets that salaries are projected to increase 6% this season and free agent movement is up from previous CBA. NBA Communications tweet is in response to what it calls inaccuracies in an ESPN True Hoop report on union leadership. Twitter @latbbolch

choppsboy 03-14-14 10:30 AM

Unions suck. Agents are greedy.

doom32x4 03-15-14 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1309402)

That's a general as hell statement. Without agents or unions players don't have the leverage to get even close to 50% of profits. The reserve clause was ultimately discarded for free agency because players had a union. You rather see players get a ton less money and owners more? Because ticket prices aren't tied to players salaries, they're tied to what the market will bear.

choppsboy 03-15-14 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1309441)
That's a general as hell statement. Without agents or unions players don't have the leverage to get even close to 50% of profits. The reserve clause was ultimately discarded for free agency because players had a union. You rather see players get a ton less money and owners more? Because ticket prices aren't tied to players salaries, they're tied to what the market will bear.

Yes, I would rather see Owners get more money. They are the ones risking all of their money on purchasing an NBA team.

And please don't give me the "players risk their bodies" crap.

Carpenters and firefighters risk their bodies, and they aren't getting paid millions.

But you are right about one thing.

That was a huge generalization.

b1gdon 03-16-14 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1309443)
Yes, I would rather see Owners get more money. They are the ones risking all of their money on purchasing an NBA team.

And please don't give me the "players risk their bodies" crap.

Carpenters and firefighters risk their bodies, and they aren't getting paid millions.

But you are right about one thing.

That was a huge generalization.

This might seem like a bit counter-intuitive, but the players union actually helps the owners to make more money. The presence of a union allows the owners to legally form a cartel that can negotiate with the players union and establish salary caps. This benefits the owners because they don't have to pay market based wages and it benefits the majority of players because they can get a minimum contract and can limit the amount of revenue going to the top 5% of players. The biggest losers in the whole scheme are the LeBrons, Duncans, and Dirks of the world who would earn a much much higher salary if they were paid market based wages.

SilverSpur 03-17-14 04:27 AM

Privately, the NBA has a major issue with “one-and-done” players entering the league and clogging up rosters. With the new collective bargaining agreement emphasizing more price-effective contracts, owners need more production from rookies. Cleveland’s Anthony Bennett, who has experienced a disastrous rookie season as the first overall pick, is a prime example of a player unprepared for the NBA rigors. And if the argument is for the owners to avoid drafting one-and-done players, well, that may be difficult when 15 of the best 20 prospects are freshman entries. “The next step is for us to formulate a proposal,” said Silver, who visited Boston last week. “What I’ve been saying internally at the NBA is let’s make sure we have a better understanding of the issue. It’s a lot more complicated than just saying 19 to 20. College needs to have a seat at the table because there are various rules they can address as well as to the window in which you can hire an agent, maintaining eligibility, potentially insurance for kids who are forgoing college and becoming a pro. It’s got to be more of a holistic approach, but ultimately there’s nothing we can do without our players association.”

Gerald Green, former Celtic, finds a home in Phoenix (Sunday Basketball Notes) - Sports - The Boston Globe

Spurd_On 03-17-14 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1309402)

Unions are as varied in their ethic and dedication as front offices are in the NBA. I don't know where the Player's Union falls. By the same token, there are good company structures and bad company structures in so far as caring for the welfare of their employees. A prime example of a good union is the Ironworkers Union which has historically been one of the most dangerous professions and a union that has reinvented itself to be extremely well-structured and dedicated and understanding to both its members and their employers. Their dedication to educating both members and employers is relentless and well executed. These efforts and dedication have resulted in miraculous drops in accidents and rapidly increasing job efficiency due to educated workers and employers moving forward at an unheard of rate.

The announcement of a "clandestine search" for a leader of the Players Union seems a good indication that this union does not operate at anywhere near the level of the Ironworkers Union as "clandestine" is not the way their union conducts itself.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

choppsboy 03-17-14 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1309498)
Unions are as varied in their ethic and dedication as front offices are in the NBA. I don't know where the Player's Union falls. By the same token, there are good company structures and bad company structures in so far as caring for the welfare of their employees. A prime example of a good union is the Ironworkers Union which has historically been one of the most dangerous professions and a union that has reinvented itself to be extremely well-structured and dedicated and understanding to both its members and their employers. Their dedication to educating both members and employers is relentless and well executed. These efforts and dedication have resulted in miraculous drops in accidents and rapidly increasing job efficiency due to educated workers and employers moving forward at an unheard of rate.

The announcement of a "clandestine search" for a leader of the Players Union seems a good indication that this union does not operate at anywhere near the level of the Ironworkers Union as "clandestine" is not the way their union conducts itself.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

good comments.

My dad is in the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) in Texas. Texas is a right to work state. As a result, IBEW members must be more productive and produce higher quality electrical work to compete with non-union shops . . . . . and they do through intense training and an excellent apprenticeship program. Now my dad has also worked jobs in Indiana and California (not right to work states). He found those guys to be a bunch of slugs because they do not have to compete.

So I say again.

I was making a very general statement :(