News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-14, 05:46 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Former Spur Derek Anderson "drops dime" on Spurs' front office

HoopsHype - Whatever happened to Derek Anderson?

Your best season was probably in 2001 with the Spurs because after that you ended up getting a six-year contract worth $48 million with the Portland Trail Blazers, right?

DA:*Yeah, I had a great season, great team, great teammates... The general manager at the time was very disrespectful. The coach, teammates were great, the city and the fans were supergreat... I just didn't like the general manager at all.

The GM you're talking about is RC Buford.

DA:*Yeah. I think he learned, after I left, that you can't be rude to people and expect them to stay [laughs].

I think that's the very first time I hear some criticism towards Buford. Seems like he's always making the right decisions.

DA:*Yeah he does now. But look what he did. He had to learn. They won a championship during the lockout and I came two years later. David Robinson was retiring, Sean Elliott... they were losing the core and they had to start all over again. They had to get people in there. Again, when you have a core team like we had and a coach like [Gregg] Popovich, they would have won against the Lakers every year if you had me.

So Popovich wanted you on the team and it was all Buford's fault that you ended up in Portland.

DA:*When I was on my way to Portland he called me. He wanted to know what had happened and I said '[Buford] is not going to pay me, he's going to give me a little bit.' I was offered a four-year, $28 million contract, and Portland offered me six years for $48 million. Of course they wanted to say that it was me, but I didn't buy into that.

And when you thought you were going to retire without a ring, you were traded to Miami.

DA:*Yeah, it was just fun to be around guys who wanted to win. Pat Riley does things the way he wants, we won a championship and it was great to be part of that championship team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-14, 06:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Beat the Lakers every year if they had Da? Looks like we have a Dejuan Blair 2.0. Sorry DA.... You were a solid player... But you weren't THAT good... Definitely not worth 48 million... Jokes on you Portland.
Old 03-05-14, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think DA proved that he wasn't worth 48 million.

good move RC!
Old 03-05-14, 06:30 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Good player but wasn't worth it. Miami won in 2006 with him on the bench! Let's get the facts straight DA lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-14, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I love when players who bandwagon act as if they were a crucial part of a teams success when they were on the deepest part of the bench that no one knew they even still played ball. DA was one of those "want it all for nothing" guys. Great skill and high potential but no freaking heart!