News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 03-03-14, 04:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Cory Joseph

I'm sure there have been other threads started about this. When is this franchise going to admit they blew it with this pick? In three years - have you ever after a game where he has played - said to yourself . . . Wow . . . this guy has potential.

He looks EXACTLY like he did the first day he started in this system.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-14, 05:25 PM
The Master Baiter

Defensively, I think he has some value, but yeah, underwhelming.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-03-14, 06:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't see a need for a press conference and a contrite Pop..... but I think they are trying to squeeze as much into him as possible so he will at least be of worth to trade rather than just let go.

Don't get me wrong I think if they need the roster spot they may just drop him but other wise they will wait and see.... he could hit a late basketball puberty and take off....
Old 03-03-14, 06:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Did a solid job of starting in Parker's place while he was out allowing Mills to spend time with the second unit. Not flashy just gets the job done. Are we tired of picking on Bonner or what?!
Old 03-03-14, 07:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I see a lot of improvement in his game. His defense is better. His ability to score is better. His decision making is better.

I think he is doing well for as late a pick as he was.
Old 03-03-14, 08:57 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

He was a late first round pick who had just come off his freshman year and he didn't even start at pg for texas. He may not be a star but he's learning and is a decent rotation player.
Old 03-04-14, 05:41 PM
SR Team Goof

Joseph isnt the type player Id write home about but he fills a purpose which is to adequately fill the void when Parker or Mills are not on the floor. He was drafted 29th in 2011, is now 22 years of age and is cheap ($1.1 mil 2013-2014, the 340th highest salary in the league). And to echo what Chopps and Griz have said above, hes improved over the years and knows his role. Id keep him until someone better comes along and at his pay rate, Id say the Spurs are getting a return on their money. (Stats/salary scales enclosed below)

Cory Joseph NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Player Contracts | Basketball-Reference.com
Old 03-05-14, 12:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

...looking at that list, I'm surprised to see Horry's name still showing up as a 6.8MM cap hold for the SAS. Cap gurus want to take a stab at that one?
Old 03-06-14, 04:18 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Did a solid job of starting in Parker's place while he was out allowing Mills to spend time with the second unit. Not flashy just gets the job done. Are we tired of picking on Bonner or what?!
I tend to agree. What is he? The equivalent of a college senior right now? He may not be a superstar yet but he has made good progress under the type of coach that breaks most kids. I like what I see.
Old 03-06-14, 04:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr View Post
...looking at that list, I'm surprised to see Horry's name still showing up as a 6.8MM cap hold for the SAS. Cap gurus want to take a stab at that one?
Wow! I see that!

#97 ranking on this page: Player Contracts | Basketball-Reference.com

What is up with that???
Old 03-06-14, 06:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Bonner hasn't been playing much, so no reason to... The world makes sense again.
Old 03-06-14, 08:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

You know you have a pretty solid team when the players complained about the most are near the bottom of the rotation.
Old 03-06-14, 11:55 PM
Herman Cain of the board

They blew the pick as soon as David Stern announced it! He was mid second round on my board at best! AT BEST! NBA circles viewed him as second round material as well.
Old 03-07-14, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
They blew the pick as soon as David Stern announced it! He was mid second round on my board at best! AT BEST! NBA circles viewed him as second round material as well.
NBA circles opinion does not count and is only an opinion. Pop and RC have a PROVEN RECORD of making correct picks.
Old 03-07-14, 03:25 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
NBA circles opinion does not count and is only an opinion. Pop and RC have a PROVEN RECORD of making correct picks.
Romain Sato? Chris Carrawell? Bryan Bracey? Marcus Williams? Sergei Karaulov? James Gist? Jack McClinton?
Old 03-07-14, 03:50 PM
The Master Baiter

I think most second round picks are duds. And the first round is pretty much a crap shoot.
Old 03-07-14, 04:27 PM
SR Team Goof

When the Spurs keep putting up 50+ win seasons, year in/year out, we’re not going to get the pick of the litter during the draft unless we pick up an early first rounder with a trade. Otherwise, when we roll the dice, we’ll have visions of TP or Manu in our dreams.
Old 03-07-14, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Romain Sato? Chris Carrawell? Bryan Bracey? Marcus Williams? Sergei Karaulov? James Gist? Jack McClinton?
I didn't say they were perfect just more successful than most, Manu, Parker, etc. As stated in this blog in spite of picking last or next to last for many years I believe they do a pretty good job.
Old 03-07-14, 07:23 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
I didn't say they were perfect just more successful than most, Manu, Parker, etc. As stated in this blog in spite of picking last or next to last for many years I believe they do a pretty good job.
I agree but Cory Joseph is a bust. Period!
Old 03-08-14, 02:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

WILLTHETHRILL, I respect your opinion.

Last edited by clovisnmspurfan; 03-08-14 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 03:29 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
WILLTHETHRILL, I respect your opinion.
I agreed with your opinion on the Spurs' ability to find talent. This player is not one of them. More fact than opinion...............Also most people on this board agree with me on this one.
Old 03-08-14, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The 2011 draft was actually pretty amazing when it comes to 2nd round picks. With that said, only Jimmy Butler, Kyle Singer,Chandler Parsons, and Isaiah Thomas are even still on NBA teams. I the 1st round you have guys like Jan Vesely, Bismack Biyombo, Chris Singleton, Nolan Smith, Nikola Mirotic, JaJuan Johnson, and Norris Cole who were all drafted before Corey Joseph. I would rather have Joseph than any of those guys.

So I would say it was not a wasted pick.

I am sure someone is going to try to convince me that Norris Cole, or Bismack Biyombo is better than Joseph. I would disagree, but even so, Joseph is an NBA player. most teams don't get an NBA player in the draft.
Old 03-09-14, 07:57 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Time is the Ultimate Test to really delineate on Bust or Star Status. With that being said- The Spurs currently have 3 point guards that started in international play- Canada, Australia and France.

Parker is an All-World All-Star. He has been spectacular all year long.

Patty Mills really worked on his game this Summer and came into the season ready to play for the team and a contract. He seems to be playing back to his college days at St. Mary's except that he is passing the ball more and driving into the lane. I have been extremely surprised and most appreciative of his play during the Rodeo Road trip. Patty Mills could easily be a starter on other teams. He was the leading scorer of the Olympics in 2012.

Cory Joseph is still developing while playing the most difficult position on the floor. Most of Cory Joseph's floor time this season has been during the 4th quarter. Most Point guards take several years to develop and especially in the Spurs/Pop system. Look at Tony- in 2003, the Spurs made a trade deadline trade to bring in Speedy Claxton to help win their 2nd Championship. Tony was barely on the floor in 2003 Finals with Pop deferring to Speedy. Tony Spent more time in Pop's doghouse in those early years.
Cory has the benefit to learn behind Tony and Patty on how to be an All star point guard.

The Spurs Front Office is absolutely amazing. They acquired Patty Mills after Portland casted him off to Australia and before he became amazing at the Olympics. The Front Office hardly makes mistakes. They see Potential and try to work to make it better. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't however to label Cory Joseph a Bust without looking at the Team dynamics is erroneous and logically flawed. We as fans only see the game play and do not see the practices. When Cory was given the time (IE the D-league), Cory was an All-Star along with Nando De Colo. Last Year's Playoffs, Everyone was clamoring for Cory while screaming to trade Patty. We have fickle Spurs Fans- Cory has come in and worked- so much so that when the Front Office decided to trade the fourth PG they kept Cory and Sent Nando. Pop has probably forgotten more Basketball than anyone on this forum will ever know- if he is keeping Cory then it is for a reason.

The Spurs have an embarrassment of Riches- Hence you see First round picks sent overseas for several years developing and making bigger paychecks than the D-league. There are only 13 spots and 48 minutes for the team.

Trust in Pop and the Front Office- Cory Joseph is No Bust.

Last edited by truebeliever; 03-09-14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-09-14, 12:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If I'm not mistaken, Patty's contract is up this year. God knows what some other teams will offer him. If he gets a huge payday somewhere else, the Spurs will be glad that Cory is still around and growing.
Old 03-10-14, 02:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Never has Cory Joseph dazzled me with anything he's done. However he has come in, been humble, worked hard, defended well, played within himself, been a team player and ultimately has been solid..... What more is there to expect from a backup point guard let alone the 3rd stringer?

He is a "Spurs" type player and can run the Spurs offense effectively. That in itself makes him valuable.

If you're trying to hate on somebody, find somebody more worthy of it than this young kid who's working hard to become a better player.

He's a decent player with some good skills.
Popovich obviously trusts him. There's many good reasons for that......

Last edited by G13; 03-10-14 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 09:25 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

JEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ dude is 23 years old!!! already with a lot of experience for his age... there are solid players who at his age was average at best, even bench warmers...

he s been molded to pop requeriments, work hard, low mant. what else he needs to do to gain a little trust for us fans?

Last edited by JuanCaca; 03-10-14 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I agreed with your opinion on the Spurs' ability to find talent. This player is not one of them. More fact than opinion...............Also most people on this board agree with me on this one.
I reread this whole post and can find only two who believe Cory is a bust.
Old 03-10-14, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Quote:
I reread this whole post and can find only two who believe Cory is a bust.
Its the 'ole "everyone agrees with me" argument.

Totally lacking in substance.
Old 03-10-14, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
I'm sure there have been other threads started about this. When is this franchise going to admit they blew it with this pick? In three years - have you ever after a game where he has played - said to yourself . . . Wow . . . this guy has potential.

He looks EXACTLY like he did the first day he started in this system.
I don't see how you can say they blew the pick unless you tell us who was picked after him that you think is better. Opinions anyone?

Last edited by bills0; 03-10-14 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-11-14, 04:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
I don't see how you can say they blew the pick unless you tell us who was picked after him that you think is better. Opinions anyone?
While I am a supporter of the wait and see what we get for the pick camp you asked the question so there is Chandler Parsons and Isaiah Thomas who are definitely better..... but hindsight brings clarity.
Old 03-11-14, 06:42 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The Spurs were not going to Draft Chandler Parson's since they just Drafted Kawhi Leonard even though Parson's has better than Kawhi. Kawhi is the better Defender and the better fit in the Spurs System and to be completely honest a real perimeter defender since Bowen.

Isaiah Thomas is 5 foot 9 Point guard passed on by the entire league playing for one of the Worst teams in the league producing inflated numbers. The Kings had even traded for Jimmer Ferdette in the lottery in 2011.

The Spurs do not simply fit apples to apples. The Spurs have holistic view of their team, which is why certain players flourish and others do not. Look at some of the players who were amazing in SA then left to become Duds.

GameTime: Popovich's Coaching Tree | NBA.com
Old 03-11-14, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
I do think Jimmy Butler would have been a better pick (along with Parsons if we could have figured out how to get him minutes with kawhi). Butler is a defensive monster. But that is hindsight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
The Spurs were not going to Draft Chandler Parson's since they just Drafted Kawhi Leonard even though Parson's has better than Kawhi. Kawhi is the better Defender and the better fit in the Spurs System and to be completely honest a real perimeter defender since Bowen.

Isaiah Thomas is 5 foot 9 Point guard passed on by the entire league playing for one of the Worst teams in the league producing inflated numbers. The Kings had even traded for Jimmer Ferdette in the lottery in 2011.

The Spurs do not simply fit apples to apples. The Spurs have holistic view of their team, which is why certain players flourish and others do not. Look at some of the players who were amazing in SA then left to become Duds.

GameTime: Popovich's Coaching Tree | NBA.com
Parsons has better WHAT???? than Kawhi?
Old 03-11-14, 12:54 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Its the 'ole "everyone agrees with me" argument.

Totally lacking in substance.
So is it the only ones who respond to just this one thread?????? People on here have been critical of that pick since 2011 and outside of here. Your substance is to have a $200 million payroll every year on this team. Bonner is not worth $4 million a year. Splitter is not worth $10 million a year. Just because they get it does not mean that they are worth it! You wanted to give Parker $15 million a year when he was sucking so bad that they wanted to trade him! WTFE!

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 03-12-14 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 08:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Isaiah has to deflate his numbers a long long way before he is 3rd or 4th off the bench and averaging 4 points per game. It doesn't matter how bad the team is or who you have around you to average 20 pts a game is a big achievement that Joseph hasn't looked close to ever doing.... their % are very similar but fact is another short G in Mills overtook the bigger Joseph and now his numbers are going down rather than up.