News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-14, 04:12 PM
SR Team Goof

Metta World Peace's brother cites Spurs as possibility

Daniel Artest, the outspoken brother of veteran small forward Metta World Peace, went on an epic Twitter rant Saturday morning upon learning that his older sibling is soon to be bought out by the reeling New York Knicks. (UPDATE: Artest has since deleted the Tweets.)

Take it for what it’s worth, but one Tweet included the teams MWP would apparently prefer playing for after his release:
Miami, SA or Clippers. Indy in play
— Daniel Artest (@DMArtestQB) February 22, 2014
Whether the Spurs would have any interest in remains to be seen, particularly after swapping Nando De Colo for small forward Austin Daye before the trade deadline. But Yahoo! Sports reported on Saturday that they’ll sift through the buyout market before making a decision whether to re-sign Shannon Brown, whose second 10-day contact expires today.

World Peace, 34, has played sparingly for the Knicks this season, averaging 4.8 points and 2.0 rebounds with an 11.8 Player Efficiency Rating in 29 appearances. Danny Granger, another possibility should Philadelphia buy him out, has better averages but is shooting just 35.9 percent this season with a 10.4 PER. And as the E-N’s Mike Monroe notes, World Peace at least has ties to the Spurs. (It should be noted as well that Granger played with current Spurs reserve Jeff Ayres, and for assistant coach Jim Boylen, in Indiana.)

Link to article: San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » MWP’s brother cites Spurs as possibility
Old 02-22-14, 08:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

can we get both players? we can waive the 6'11 guy just traded for... no?
Old 02-22-14, 11:05 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Old 02-23-14, 02:22 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Arrest is more likely to land in San Antonio than Granger is. Besides, Granger is but a shadow of his former self and arrest can not only still play tenacious defense, he can also teach Kwahi a thing or two.

Bring him on board!

Defense wins championships.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-14, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

ARTEST tweeted this:

Metta World Peace: Thank NYC for everything. Thanks for having me I will always be grateful... My agent is working on a buyout. No disrespect to the city Luv U My agent just informed me this release could happen any hr now. I just want to say "Thanks for everything" Twitter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-23-14, 02:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

ATLANTA — The long-rumored divorce featuring Metta World Peace, Beno Udrih and the Knicks is close to being finalized, with the club agreeing to negotiate buyouts with the two seldom-used veterans after just 55 games.

Mike Woodson confirmed on Saturday that the Knicks were in the process of severing ties with Metta and Udrih, neither of whom accompanied the Knicks to Saturday night’s game in Atlanta. They are expected to be released on Sunday.

“I can’t say anything went wrong,” Woodson said. “Again, they weren’t in the rotations. I’m not going to linger on it. We’re buying them out. As a coach guys work for me. I wish them nothing but the best as they move on. And we’re going to move on. So that’s about the extent of it.”

World Peace took to Twitter early Saturday to thank Knick fans and break the news that he would no longer be playing for the team he grew up supporting. “My agent just informed me this release could happen any (hour) now,” he tweeted. “I just want to say ‘Thanks for everything’ ”

Metta’s brother, Daniel Artest, who has been outspoken in his criticism of the Knicks’ organization, then went on a Twitter rant that included calling James Dolan “the worst owner in sports” and labeling Woodson as “trash.”

Both Metta and Udrih signed free-agent contracts last summer but failed to find consistent minutes in Woodson’s rotation despite their championship pedigree. Metta appeared in just 29 games this season while Udrih finished his Knicks career by recording 12 straight DNPs.

Knicks negotiating buyouts with Metta World Peace and Beno Udrih* - NY Daily News
Old 02-23-14, 03:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Rodman.... Cap'n Jack..... Metta...... are we where crazy goes to die?
Old 02-23-14, 05:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Arrest is more likely to land in San Antonio than Granger is. Besides, Granger is but a shadow of his former self and arrest can not only still play tenacious defense, he can also teach Kwahi a thing or two.

Bring him on board!

Defense wins championships.
Yes.... My exact freaking thoughts! And unless Danny already has made up his mind.... I just don't think SA will land him, love to have him, but World Peace is a more likely candidate.
Old 02-23-14, 05:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
ARTEST tweeted this:

Metta World Peace: Thank NYC for everything. Thanks for having me I will always be grateful... My agent is working on a buyout. No disrespect to the city Luv U My agent just informed me this release could happen any hr now. I just want to say "Thanks for everything" Twitter
The guy is ok, with Pop and TD, I think he'll be great. There will be a much better environment and vibe in SA than NY. Plus our coach exudes respect. Winning with great players won't hurt either.
Old 02-23-14, 08:06 AM
The Amazing!

No doubt about it Metta is crazy but I would like to think in the right environment he would be okay. What he could possibly add on the defensive end is to good to pass up. I seem to recall he always prided himself on being in shape so he should be able to contribute if he behaves himself.
Old 02-23-14, 11:08 AM
The Master Baiter

Interesting note about Rodman, he was 34 when he went to Chicago. Artest is only 34 and I think he still has some left. I'm just not sure if they Spurs need a guy only for defensive purposes or if they need a guy like Granger.
Old 02-23-14, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Interesting note about Rodman, he was 34 when he went to Chicago. Artest is only 34 and I think he still has some left. I'm just not sure if they Spurs need a guy only for defensive purposes or if they need a guy like Granger.
I wouldn't mind Granger, but there is really no evidence that he can come close to what he was in Indiana. And what he wasn't was a guy who ever shot the ball really well, or passed the ball really well.
Old 02-23-14, 04:02 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm always down for having someone with attitude on the team... Sometimes you need a guy that will kick the Hornets nest.
Old 02-23-14, 08:51 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Rodman.... Cap'n Jack..... Metta...... are we where crazy goes to die?

exactly... :drummer

Old 02-24-14, 09:39 AM
2012 Eastern Conference Champion

Metta would be good for the Spurs. We could use some craziness on the team. As long as he doesn't fight with the fans or ruin the chemistry.

Give PEACE a Chance!!! LOL

Last edited by Mr.MULLETINO; 02-24-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He seems to be the best candidate with a finals hardened all around game and no major (physical) ailments.
Old 02-24-14, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He is a little nutty...but...his defense is still worth giving him a try...
Old 02-24-14, 01:32 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

hell yeah!!!

im on MWP bandwagon
and i think granger can be a decent backup... so lets dump some dead weight and get both players...
Old 02-24-14, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Metta's twitter account also read "Spurs Nation" at the end of it. Hhmmmm?
Old 02-24-14, 04:58 PM
SR Team Goof

Chris Broussard: Source: After being waived by the Knicks, Metta World Peace hoping to land in Miami, San Antonio or OKC Twitter @Chris_Broussard - See more at: HoopsHype - San Antonio Spurs Rumors

alh1020: Waived!! I thought it was supposed to be a buyout??
Old 02-24-14, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

hey SA fans... lets tweet MWP all our love, he for sure has "some hustle" left (as he twetted that)!!! we need his defense!
https://twitter.com/MettaWorldPeace

Last edited by JuanCaca; 02-24-14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 05:58 PM
SR Team Goof

Just saw an article where Danny Granger and the Philly leadership are bumping heads as to his future. Granger wants a buyout so he can go to a contender while Philly feels he is an asset and might use him in a sign/trade situation this summer for additional picks/younger players. Guess they are trying to hash it out. Who knows how long that will go on. With that said, with MWP already waived, I believe if the Spurs FO is going to do anything, they better play their hand now and let the courtship begin.
Old 02-24-14, 06:26 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
hey SA fans... lets tweet MWP all our love, he for sure has "some hustle" left (as he twetted that)!!! we need his defense!
https://twitter.com/MettaWorldPeace
I just now followed your lead.

Old 02-24-14, 08:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Now that MWP is waived, I think that what happens as it concerns the Spurs occurs quickly. I doubt that Pop is in the mood for MWP to play eeny, meeny miny, mo with his choices. He is either focused on playing for Pop and learning the system in time for the playoffs or he is not and Pop moves on with what he has with or without him.
As to Danny Granger, I think he is naive in thinking that he can be bought out. The 76ers see him as having off season trade value and are not going to throw that away.
Antawn Jamison at this point in his career is not likely much of an upgrade over Tracy McGrady even though I have always liked him.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 02-24-14 at 09:17 PM.