SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   New TP - Patty Mills (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/121149-new-tp-patty-mills.html)

chad1 02-20-14 12:55 AM

New TP - Patty Mills

OK, I'm convinced, Patty Mills can be our starting PG! Parker is our biggest asset so trade him to the Knicks for Tyson Chandler and we might be able to compete with OKC.

e_93gsx 02-20-14 02:02 AM

Bonner is the second coming of David Robinson.

Guapo 02-20-14 02:13 AM

I would certainly entertain a trade for an All Star Big Man that involved Tony Parker. No doubt.

Guapo 02-20-14 03:00 AM

Parker has battled a variety of injuries, including a shin contusion, groin strain and lower back spasms, for more than a month and said on Tuesday he understood coach Gregg Popovich's decision to sit him "for the foreseeable future." "The main thing with Pop, he doesn't want me to play at 50 per cent, 60 per cent," Parker, a six-time All-Star who has won three NBA championship rings with San Antonio, said at a shootaround ahead of Tuesday's game against the Clippers. "He wants me to get all my little stuff healed. Next time I come back on the court he wants me to be 100 per cent."

Spurs parking Parker on bench to get fit for play-off push - Basketball - Eurosport Asia

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-20-14 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad1 (Post 1308317)
OK, I'm convinced, Patty Mills can be our starting PG! Parker is our biggest asset so trade him to the Knicks for Tyson Chandler and we might be able to compete with OKC.

We may get flamed, but I have to agree... Mills has this confidence about him. I love it... We better hold onto this guy...

mckennaspur1 02-20-14 08:33 AM

I've been enthused about Patty since the ordeal involved in acquiring him. That man can play!

Trading TP is extreme, but it could bring back a young big good enough to get us successfully into the post-Duncan era. If Tony is willing to leave (and I think that would be a consideration for this organization), that's worth thinking about.

JuanCaca 02-20-14 09:25 AM

im ok with the M3 tandem (mills-manu-marco)and counting on minutes given to decolo and joseph as well, to overcome parker abcent... if that trade brings a legit long SF, or freaking athlete with brains AND HANDS not of stone at the 4, 5 position or a deadly scorer at any position...

given the playmaking passing skills of manu, marco, boris and even timmy, theres a lot of bench space used in pgs right now, (parker,mills, joseph, decolo) asuming parker traded, i wish joseph step up and become dependable contributor specially on defense, given his defensive instincts he has better shot than decolo, a.k.a. bench warmer/trade piece... or better if somehow cia pop get a replacement from both decolo and joseph, someone CONSISTENT better if very athletic/long in that position, i dont care offense if isnt a liability, im ok with pg better than joseph on defense... great if long/active able to disrupt faster-stronger pgs that are so fast for manu, green and marco, and too strong for mills...

but remeber, trade parker only if that brings a legit player to help in fast/athletic/long/young department.....

Uwe Blab 02-20-14 10:36 AM

facepalm

Make no mistake, I like Mills, and he's playing great. But he's a shooting guard. He doesn't really penetrate, at least not enough to do what the team needs to do. They've been getting by with good shooting. But what happens when Mills comes back down to earth and he's still taking 20+ shots?

And another thing, Tony is untradeable. If crazy people think Manu is untradeable only because fans love him, then Tony is double that because the Spurs are in the lottery without him.

Guapo 02-20-14 11:20 AM

Mills doesn't penetrate? Perhaps not as much as Parker (Cory Joseph does) but when you shoot as well from the outside like Mills, who needs to?

Also, I don't think Blake Griffin is gonna forget the penetrating, at the rim teardrop that Mills "posterized" him with last night.

I do find it interesting that Parker is a free agent after this season and that he is "sidelined for the forseeable future" after playing during the All Star game.

See: San Antonio Spurs vs. Los Angeles Clippers - Recap - February 18, 2014 - ESPN

exit7 02-20-14 11:52 AM

I was waiting for someone to say this was all sarcasm. Gotta love spurs fans, and their knee jerk reaction to a couple of good games from party mills, lol

Uwe Blab 02-20-14 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1308346)
Mills doesn't penetrate? Perhaps not as much as Parker (Cory Joseph does) but when you shoot as well from the outside like Mills, who needs to?

Also, I don't think Blake Griffin is gonna forget the penetrating, at the rim teardrop that Mills "posterized" him with last night.

I do find it interesting that Parker is a free agent after this season and that he is "sidelined for the forseeable future" after playing during the All Star game.

See: San Antonio Spurs vs. Los Angeles Clippers - Recap - February 18, 2014 - ESPN

You said it yourself, he doesn't do it as much as Parker, nor as well. And neither does Joseph. And like I said, most of his points are coming from the outside.

And for all we know, they could be purposely showcasing Patty Mills to attract trade offers for him. You never know with the Spurs.

gwilly101 02-20-14 12:26 PM

Well with Parked being 31 and Patty 25. I say keep Patty and let him learn the ropes. He is undersized but his tenacity on D makes up for it. I just don't know if he can consistently shoot like that from deep but last night against the Blazers he took it to the hoop several times and dished off or scored over taller players so its not like he cant penetrate.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-20-14 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1308342)
facepalm

Make no mistake, I like Mills, and he's playing great. But he's a shooting guard. He doesn't really penetrate, at least not enough to do what the team needs to do. They've been getting by with good shooting. But what happens when Mills comes back down to earth and he's still taking 20+ shots?

And another thing, Tony is untradeable. If crazy people think Manu is untradeable only because fans love him, then Tony is double that because the Spurs are in the lottery without him.

I don't know... I've seen Mills drive it to the rim, lay it in and see a Parker like floater at least a couple of times... There is a difference between not being able to and not doing it.. I think Mills is capable of taking it to the rim because I've seen it. If pop wants him to I'm sure he will... He is shooting so lights out right now, may not need to anytime soon. I love Parker, but he is getting old, I would get value while I still can... But thst won't happen obviously.... Maybe Mills doesn't shoot like this every game... But he is a very good player... If he comes down to earth, it may only be a 3 second fall.

One thing is for sure... I wish we had this Mills when Parker dinged up his hammy against Miami in game 1.

NemesysN4R 02-20-14 01:24 PM

Two things a team should never give up unless they have true viable backups: an all-star true point guard and a good if not great center because a good big man is hard to find. Tony runs the team on the floor. He can score when he feels like it. Meaning, Tony many a time will be a distributer for 3 quarters then distribute AND score in the forth. I am a Mills fan but, I won't say he is better than Tony after just 2 great games. He plays the point but his assist rate is low. If I'm not mistaken but Tim had more assist than Mills with 5 versus the Blazers. Mills should be primary backup to Tony but he needs to distribute more. Thus, be a point guard. He can score and be a point guard at the same time. One way you win a game when you are being out rebounded is you must pass the ball. Assist must be high. And the Spurs lead the league in assist. Tony is a main reason of that.

RealMadrid12 02-20-14 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308355)
I don't know... I've seen Mills drive it to the rim, lay it in and see a Parker like floater at least a couple of times... There is a difference between not being able to and not doing it.. I think Mills is capable of taking it to the rim because I've seen it. If pop wants him to I'm sure he will... He is shooting so lights out right now, may not need to anytime soon. I love Parker, but he is getting old, I would get value while I still can... But thst won't happen obviously.... Maybe Mills doesn't shoot like this every game... But he is a very good player... If he comes down to earth, it may only be a 3 second fall.

One thing is for sure... I wish we had this Mills when Parker dinged up his hammy against Miami in game 1.

we had this Mill, but Pop had his rotation by then, and it was gary neal as the back up. Mill didnt get a chance last year to play. I think he is better than neal both offensively and defesenvely , but he is playing for a contract, he is the backup point guard we were looking for the last three years. I do beleive Manu must take a bit of a back seat with the new players like belinelli and leonard, no trades needed ,we have a very good team, and i dont think we can get anybody to do antying agaisnt durant or lebron, this is who we are and we can win it, yes with tiago and his ugly shot. he is a big body

exit7 02-20-14 01:58 PM

This thread is just ridiculous, tony is our best player. And he is not going to be traded. Mills is a great backup, but he doesn't create for other players like tony does. That was probably mills best game and he finished with 2 assists.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-20-14 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1308359)
This thread is just ridiculous, tony is our best player. And he is not going to be traded. Mills is a great backup, but he doesn't create for other players like tony does. That was probably mills best game and he finished with 2 assists.

I don't think anyone actually thought Parker was going to be traded.. Parker isn't exactly a pass first point guard... He never has been. I probably wouldn't trade Parker either.. But I entertain the thought... Parker being elite isn't going to last much longer..
Especially if we keep going deep in the playoffs and he keeps playing euro ball.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-20-14 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 (Post 1308358)
we had this Mill, but Pop had his rotation by then, and it was gary neal as the back up. Mill didnt get a chance last year to play. I think he is better than neal both offensively and defesenvely , but he is playing for a contract, he is the backup point guard we were looking for the last three years. I do beleive Manu must take a bit of a back seat with the new players like belinelli and leonard, no trades needed ,we have a very good team, and i dont think we can get anybody to do antying agaisnt durant or lebron, this is who we are and we can win it, yes with tiago and his ugly shot. he is a big body

I agree with everything but the Tiago comment. He is a big marshmellowy body..

JuanCaca 02-20-14 02:31 PM

...an nobody says mills was better, only that parker absence can be sorted with team effort and mills starting in his place... parker o no parker team is still short, unathletic slow compared with elite teams, parker can be guarded with taller players and elite has at least one of those defenders...

so we are sugesting replace parker with younger stud long and athletic, that and tandem effort at pg, for sure can help to overcome that elite teams...

mckennaspur1 02-20-14 02:38 PM

Yeah, I don't think anyone is pushing TP out the door. It's just that the Spurs could be re-made without him if trading him brought something of close to equal value.

Spurs used to live with 4-down until Tony matured. Then the Spurs started playing a spread the floor attack because TP could penetrate to shoot and dish so well. Both styles worked in their day.

TP has alot of good years left, but he will be on the downside of his career within the next 2-3 seasons. Considering how to adjust the attack strategy for the future only makes good sense.

Uwe Blab 02-20-14 02:59 PM

Unless you're getting Lamarcus Aldridge in return, the Spurs would be worse off if they traded Tony. And even then, you don't have anyone to run the team effectively and you're slaves to streaky guys like Mills.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-20-14 03:02 PM

I really don't know that mills is streaky yet. He was pretty good in college, and did tear up the Olympics. I could be wrong, but I believe he led the Olympics in PPG.

RealMadrid12 02-20-14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308386)
I really don't know that mills is streaky yet. He was pretty good in college, and did tear up the Olympics. I could be wrong, but I believe he led the Olympics in PPG.

yes he was good in college, yes he did tear up the olympics and yes he led the olympics in PPG. better than Gary neal, very nice pg backup

RealMadrid12 02-20-14 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1308384)
Unless you're getting Lamarcus Aldridge in return, the Spurs would be worse off if they traded Tony. And even then, you don't have anyone to run the team effectively and you're slaves to streaky guys like Mills.

I agree with you with the idea of trading tony, the west is loaded with point guards and the spurs would be crazy to trade him unless you get Durant at this point. i disagree to categorize Mills as a streaky shooter, he can shoot man, his job is to come with the second unit and shoot, gary neal i considered him a streky shooter, bonner is a streaky shooter and even danny green, mills is a bit like derek Fisher, big shots and great shooter anywhere in the floor, last two years (last year very seldom) he came in and did his thing , he has been doing this all year long , no setbacks, he aint streaky he is tricky

doom32x4 02-20-14 03:25 PM

This entire thread makes me sad for Spurs fans. Mills is a good player, maybe even very good. TP is a 6 time all star who is still in his prime, if not physically, then mentally as a pg. Two games do not make a career, Parker has worked his a$$ off to become as consistent as he is. I still remember the George Hill euphoria, he's a good pg, great defender, but not Tony Parker. Mills is a decent pg, great shooter, but not the defender or player Parker is (Parker has become a much better defender over the years, he's way ahead of Patty defensively right now).

Plus, the entire offense is predicated on Parker's attack and kick-outs, the Spurs weren't ever going to overhaul that for a lateral move talent wise for size. For Durant, Lebron, or George? Sure. But that's how important TP has been to the Spurs the last 5 yrs.

JuanCaca 02-20-14 03:41 PM

people against the notion of a parker trade is forgetting one thing:

we are not losing parker and pluging mills in his place straight forward; pop is managing in a different way the minutes, is not like patty is playing exactly the way pop place tonys minutes, pop manages everything to make up for parker absence with the personnel he has...

I imagine the team using PG minutes the way used against clippers and portland this past games, add timmy, kawhi, and now enter the stud that you traded parker for... (im imagining all star caliber at SF, PF, or those "modern" Cs... packaging parker, bonner and rights for any of the overseas guys, or even baynes if is a active SF) and if is a C, mayb splitter in place of parker, who knows...

Kager 02-20-14 06:09 PM

I am a proud Ozzie and a big believer in what Pop and his system can do..... but come on can all the Goldfish here look past the good now and what you want to remember how Parker would have been Finals MVP if we had won?

He carried the team, Manu was non existent and Green went cold when they went at him.... TP was money all finals and when discussing what to do with him don't just talk about a PG, he is a star in the league that can carry a team.

The only name I have seen so far is Chandler who is a defensive role player not a star so no way....I don't want TP to go but even if you want to discuss it then talk like for like.

mckennaspur1 02-20-14 06:47 PM

Kager: I don't know if anyone is actually proposing a TP trade. That's why you're not getting much like-for-like. I think what's being discussed is the possibility of a future trade (this off-season? whenever Manu and Tim hang it up?) in which TP leaves SA in trade for what could be a valuable Big 3 chip.

But just to throw a name out there (I'm absolutely NOT saying this would happen), how would you feel about TP for Anthony Davis?

Kager 02-20-14 07:22 PM

I would definitely be up for that, he is a freak who I think Pop would stay around for.... though they would never do it, but we can hope.

I just get frustrated with a lack of recognition for what our key players have previously done.

SilverSpur 02-20-14 07:27 PM

I'm sorry. I would not make that trade for the Unibrow.

Kager 02-20-14 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1308444)
I'm sorry. I would not make that trade for the Unibrow.

I don't see why not? I am a big Tony fan but that Unibrow is a stable building block for the future. He plays both ends of the court has produced in a bad team, seems like a quality person. Whats the downside?

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-21-14 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1308431)
I am a proud Ozzie and a big believer in what Pop and his system can do..... but come on can all the Goldfish here look past the good now and what you want to remember how Parker would have been Finals MVP if we had won?

He carried the team, Manu was non existent and Green went cold when they went at him.... TP was money all finals and when discussing what to do with him don't just talk about a PG, he is a star in the league that can carry a team.

The only name I have seen so far is Chandler who is a defensive role player not a star so no way....I don't want TP to go but even if you want to discuss it then talk like for like.

I'm pretty confident Duncan would have won MVP. I even think there would have been a debate as to who would have been second in line... Apparently we don't remember the finals the same way, but Parker definitely didn't carry us. Outside of a couple games, Parker was sort of bad. Seems like I remember him shooting horribly a lot of the series. It was an amazing team effort and the heat are Lucky to have escaped with a game 6 win. With that being said, who knows how good Parker would have been if he was 100 percent healthy.. But that seems to be the growing trend... Injuries..

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-21-14 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1308450)
I don't see why not? I am a big Tony fan but that Unibrow is a stable building block for the future. He plays both ends of the court has produced in a bad team, seems like a quality person. Whats the downside?

There isn't a downside... Giving up a great, but older and banged up PG for a future star... I can't imagine anyone not wanting to do that.

clovisnmspurfan 02-21-14 05:13 PM

I would keep both, PERIOD.

exit7 02-21-14 09:43 PM

How you guys feeling about patty being our new starting pg now lol

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-22-14 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1308537)
How you guys feeling about patty being our new starting pg now lol

If we are going to take a single game where the entire team shot 34 percent.... I'm not feeling good about any of them starting for the spurs..Not feeling great about Marco as our SG, Duncan as our PF. No one should EVER have bad games.... right? The whole team played like crap.... The entire TEAM went 2-21 on threes... The three point champion went 0-4.

I personally would keep Parker unless we did get an Anthony Davis type... You know Mills will have another solid game.... Maybe next game.... Because believe it or not, these games DO happen..... Even for Tony...... Especially when we are on 3 games in 4 nights.

Spurd_On 02-22-14 08:04 AM

Those who mention assists hit the nail on the head. When Parker is not in the game, the assist leader is Manu or one of the bigs. It was only back a few years ago when people were complaining that Parker did not share the ball enough. After the summer games, Pop came to Tony and asked him why he does not play like that with the Spurs. Since then, Parker has become the assist leader and one of the best point guards in the NBA. Patty Mills is working hard to get there and sometimes has a game or 2 that is spectacular enough for this subject to come up. Patty came into this season with remarkable improvement. Next season he might notch it up again coming into the League with an improved ability to create for his team mates.

exit7 02-22-14 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308545)
If we are going to take a single game where the entire team shot 34 percent.... I'm not feeling good about any of them starting for the spurs..Not feeling great about Marco as our SG, Duncan as our PF. No one should EVER have bad games.... right? The whole team played like crap.... The entire TEAM went 2-21 on threes... The three point champion went 0-4.

I personally would keep Parker unless we did get an Anthony Davis type... You know Mills will have another solid game.... Maybe next game.... Because believe it or not, these games DO happen..... Even for Tony...... Especially when we are on 3 games in 4 nights.

I'll agree with you if you can find a game where tony went at least 2-14 from the field, and had only one assist. Because I don't think you can find one. Look patty is a fine backup, but he's not a starting point guard for a championship team.

choppsboy 02-22-14 01:11 PM

We should re-sign Patty Mills to a max contract next season.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-22-14 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit7 (Post 1308562)
I'll agree with you if you can find a game where tony went at least 2-14 from the field, and had only one assist. Because I don't think you can find one. Look patty is a fine backup, but he's not a starting point guard for a championship team.

Oh he has had some stinkers.. Even in last year's finals..Not those identical stats.. And not saying we should start mills over tony.
I'm saying it's stupid to Judge any player on a game where the entire team stunk it up. I'm surprised anyone had an assist considering we shot like 30 percent.

By the way... I could care less if you agree with me.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-22-14 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1308563)
We should re-sign Patty Mills to a max contract next season.

Wouldn't suprise me if they did... Considering the money they gave Tiago...

choppsboy 02-22-14 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308565)
Wouldn't suprise me if they did... Considering the money they gave Tiago...

Yea Because Patty is so much better than Tiago.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-22-14 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1308572)
Yea Because Patty is so much better than Tiago.

I agree.

Kager 02-23-14 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308459)
I'm pretty confident Duncan would have won MVP. I even think there would have been a debate as to who would have been second in line... Apparently we don't remember the finals the same way, but Parker definitely didn't carry us. Outside of a couple games, Parker was sort of bad. Seems like I remember him shooting horribly a lot of the series. It was an amazing team effort and the heat are Lucky to have escaped with a game 6 win. With that being said, who knows how good Parker would have been if he was 100 percent healthy.. But that seems to be the growing trend... Injuries..

TP was 20.5 pts per at 45% TD was 18 pts per at 47%, so stats shows them as pretty even.

TD will always anchor our D and we went to him often in the post but if we are going by memory I remember TP hitting that crazy shot at the end of Game 1 that put us in the position to just nearly make it. Then I also remember him taking over in 4th quarters and scoring whenever we were bogged down, especially when the 3 ball wasn't dropping.

You might argue either way between the two but to say there was someone else more important is way off the mark.

We have always relied on team effort but when that fell apart I remember TP scoring as needed not missing shots and costing the offence, over the last two years everyone including Pop and TD have said it is his team and it is structured around this.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-23-14 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1308590)
TP was 20.5 pts per at 45% TD was 18 pts per at 47%, so stats shows them as pretty even.

TD will always anchor our D and we went to him often in the post but if we are going by memory I remember TP hitting that crazy shot at the end of Game 1 that put us in the position to just nearly make it. Then I also remember him taking over in 4th quarters and scoring whenever we were bogged down, especially when the 3 ball wasn't dropping.

You might argue either way between the two but to say there was someone else more important is way off the mark.

We have always relied on team effort but when that fell apart I remember TP scoring as needed not missing shots and costing the offence, over the last two years everyone including Pop and TD have said it is his team and it is structured around this.

I agree Parker was no worse than second.... But to automatically assume Parker would have won it is also way off base. I couldn't findu it but I believe Duncan - /+ was also significantly higber... I'm pretty sure it was Duncan's MVP. Especially after Duncan's huge game 6 and 7...game 7 Parker didn't even show up.

I'll be happy to have both out there.... I think Mills is going to play a pretty important role down the stretch....

Kager 02-23-14 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDthaWay2B (Post 1308591)
I agree Parker was no worse than second.... But to automatically assume Parker would have won it is also way off base. I couldn't findu it but I believe Duncan - /+ was also significantly higber... I'm pretty sure it was Duncan's MVP. Especially after Duncan's huge game 6 and 7...game 7 Parker didn't even show up.

I'll be happy to have both out there.... I think Mills is going to play a pretty important role down the stretch....

I am happy to settle on either taking it as they made an almost amazing run happen, I just want to make sure people realise without Tony's allstar qualities TD would not have been able to drag what we had and a role player like Chandler that close.

TimmyDthaWay2B 02-24-14 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1308605)
I am happy to settle on either taking it as they made an almost amazing run happen, I just want to make sure people realise without Tony's allstar qualities TD would not have been able to drag what we had and a role player like Chandler that close.

Maybe not. We will never know for sure... And I'm OK with that.