News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-03-14, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

How about evan turner?

The sixers are trying very hard to trade him for draft picks. Why not take a chance on him? Im not sure how the salaries would match but i would give him our 1st round and 2nd round picks for this year and next year(we are always competitive during the regular season) plus any combination of de colo, baynes, joseph, etc to make it work. I always like how he plays and i think with him and leonard, TP we're gonna have some decent pieces after duncan retires. What do you guys think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-14, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Intriguing. Guy has historically been able to score and has led several teams in steals. He's still on his rookie contract. The Spurs would get his Bird rights (correct?), so he could be had next year for a qualifying offer.

If the Sixers are eager for picks and are willing to take some SA junk contracts, Turner could be around for life after Timmy and Manu.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-14, 06:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am definitely up for Turner if the cost isn't too high, he has a lot of upside still.
Old 02-03-14, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Would be a very nice piece. 6-7,young with potential. Could be a future SG along side Leonard.
Old 02-04-14, 07:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd take Thaddeus young and turner from the sixers

- Confucius
Old 02-04-14, 08:01 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Would I like him for our 2014 draft and an end of bench player? Heck Yea! Do I think the Spurs will make a move? Unfortunately, no. History goes to show the Spurs don't usually make a midseason splash, or an offseason splash... or any kind of splash at all really.
I do think this is the kind of move that would make a lot of sense though. gives us a set of big wings for the future who can both defend.
Old 02-04-14, 08:40 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't think the 76ers are interested in the 28th, 29th, or 30th pick for Turner. They are looking for a much earlier pick.

I also think Turner is going to demand to be overpaid.

He is notoriously a BAD shooter (career .42 from the field and .31 from 3) and POOR decision maker (2.7 turnovers per game in the last two seasons AT THE SG/SF POSITION). But he is young and has a lot of potential, so those things could change with the right coaching.

If he were willing to be paid just a little more than Splitter for his next contract, I would take him.

I imagine he will be looking to sign for a lot more than that . . . . probably near max. In that case . . . . . Let him eat up some other teams salary cap space.
Old 02-04-14, 10:34 AM
SR Team Goof

Of the 3 that Philly is shopping (Turner, Young, Hawes), I'd personally go after Hawes, mainly because he's 7'1", coming into his own as a skilled big man and has always hurt the Spurs with his play. I'm kind of hesitant to go beyond that due to his becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer when he'll probably command a higher salary than Splitter.
Old 02-04-14, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I don't think the 76ers are interested in the 28th, 29th, or 30th pick for Turner. They are looking for a much earlier pick.

I also think Turner is going to demand to be overpaid.

He is notoriously a BAD shooter (career .42 from the field and .31 from 3) and POOR decision maker (2.7 turnovers per game in the last two seasons AT THE SG/SF POSITION). But he is young and has a lot of potential, so those things could change with the right coaching.

If he were willing to be paid just a little more than Splitter for his next contract, I would take him.

I imagine he will be looking to sign for a lot more than that . . . . probably near max. In that case . . . . . Let him eat up some other teams salary cap space.

No chance he'll be seeing near max contract ($12-16M) IMO. I could see him getting (8-10) but if paid more than that, then I'd think the gm is crazy. Since he's on a rookie contract and is a free agent at season end, 76ers can't demand much IMO. If we make it worthwhile with someone like Cojo or de colo, bonner (for salary purposes) and rights to overseas player not named Adam Hanga, then id think they might consider it. I'd like to get a stretch 4 as well in young but I don't see that happening unless we part with green as well. It would be turner or nothing from the 76ers. Sixers actually like Hawes and out of the 3, hell most likely be the one retained

- Confucius
Old 02-04-14, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with what most of you all have said.

Turner is looking for a payday after this year. I definitely don't think he is worth paying for in that case and is a bad shooter. He makes up for his deficiences by being on a bad team where he has plenty of shots to take and make up for his careless mistakes. Could Pop make him better? Maybe.. but at what cost.

I personally would rather get Thad Young since he is fluid at the SF and PF positions and plays good defense. Not sure how his contract is, but he or Hawes would be the guys to go after IF the Spurs go after any of them.

You have to remember that that 76ers are rebuilding and are going to be looking to get Noel playing time next year which means no to Hawes and probably the reason they ar trying to trade him.
Old 02-04-14, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

this is from ESPN's Rumor page (insider subscription needed). The amusing thing to me is the idea that turner can provide a scoring punch . . . . . He can if he is the 1st option.

FEB 4
9:30
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
The Philadelphia 76ers have been shopping Evan Turner for most of the season as there is a good chance the two sides will part ways in July if a trade doesn't get done by Feb. 20. The Sixers need to make a qualifying offer worth $8.7 million to keep Turner as a restricted free agent and there's a good chance they are going to pass. That will result in Turner becoming unrestricted and probably signing with another team.

The Sixers don't have the leverage in trading Turner, so they will likely have to take less than what they're demanding to get something done. The most recent team to show some interest in Turner is the Charlotte Bobcats, according to The Charlotte Observer.

Rick Bonnell writes: "He could potentially add to the scoring punch the Bobcats need to reach the playoffs for only the second time in their decade-long history. ... Nothing about the Bobcats’ interest appears imminent to making a deal."

Another destination for Turner could be the Cleveland Cavaliers. The player and team have been linked for a while with Dion Waiters going back to the Sixers as part of the deal.
Old 02-04-14, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I am even tempted to include splitter in the deal if we can get both young and turner although it means that timmy will have to handle all the defense against opponents bigs(not like there's a lot but still...) i still think turner is worth the gamble, i can see him being molded to the spurs system
Old 02-05-14, 08:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanu20 View Post
I am even tempted to include splitter in the deal if we can get both young and turner although it means that timmy will have to handle all the defense against opponents bigs(not like there's a lot but still...) i still think turner is worth the gamble, i can see him being molded to the spurs system
Giving Splitter up would be a huge mistake. His defense is better than both of those guys.
Old 02-06-14, 11:02 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
No no no!!!!

Our front line is thin as it is. TD has to rest for a night and we got abused inside. I mean, we're playing BORIS DIAW heavy minutes at the PF slot.

And who do you sit to play Evan Turner? Manu? Marco? Danny? Kawhi? We don't need another wing.
Old 02-07-14, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Once again, the question is.. Would this acquisition help put us over the top? Is this the piece we're missing?
Old 02-07-14, 08:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Once again, the question is.. Would this acquisition help put us over the top? Is this the piece we're missing?
Do the Spurs ever trade or sign a guy to put them over the top? Usually those kind of guys aren't the ones that sign in San Antonio or most fans say they've got issues and will hurt our chemistry. JR Smith, Bynum, Tyrus Thomas... Just to name a few.
Old 02-07-14, 02:57 PM
SR Team Goof

Sixers will trade Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes but want first-round pick

We are still in the Im going to see how much I can get phase for general managers in trade talks with the trade deadline two weeks away they still think somewhere another team will flip and give them what they want. The Ill take this because its the best I can do phase has not kicked in yet, and thats when deals get done.

With that, we bring you a note on the Sixers at the trade deadline and their efforts to move Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes, as reported by Marc Stein of ESPN.

The Sixers, sources say, continue to hold out hope that they can acquire a future first-round pick for either forward Evan Turner or center Spencer Hawes before the Feb. 20 trade deadline. Both players become free agents in July.

And therein lies the Sixers problem if you are a GM that really wants Evan Turner you can go after him this summer as a restricted free agent and not have to give up any picks. Hawes is an unrestricted free agent.

The other issue is opposing GMs are seeing through Turner. Yes, he is averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists a game, but those are stats fueled by the Sixers fast pace and the volume of shots Turner takes. Hes shooting 28 percent from three and has a true shooting percentage of 50.9, which is below the league average. Youre going to give up a first rounder for that?

It will be interesting to see how long the Sixers stick to their guns on demanding a first rounder. Beyond that, it will be interesting to see what kind of offers will come in for Turner this summer hes going to get offers, but not ones on the level he would have five to 10 years ago when volume scorers often got paid more than they should have.

Link to article: Report: Sixers will trade Evan Turner or Spencer Hawes but want first-round pick | ProBasketballTalk
Old 02-07-14, 03:24 PM
SR Team Goof

If I had my druthers, I’d go after Hawes since he’s a big with a good upside, young and can bang the boards and is good around the rim. We’re filled up at the 2-3 position and no need for Turner, IMHO. We can offer up 1st round draft picks but they won’t be the lottery type that the Sixers might be looking for. But we could probably put a package together to satisfy them. We might even have an ally in the Philly camp in Coach Brett Brown who might see it our way. Besides, the Sixers are on a slide to the bottom anyway and are looking to rebuild for the future.
Old 02-07-14, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
If I had my druthers, Id go after Hawes since hes a big with a good upside, young and can bang the boards and is good around the rim. Were filled up at the 2-3 position and no need for Turner, IMHO. We can offer up 1st round draft picks but they wont be the lottery type that the Sixers might be looking for. But we could probably put a package together to satisfy them. We might even have an ally in the Philly camp in Coach Brett Brown who might see it our way. Besides, the Sixers are on a slide to the bottom anyway and are looking to rebuild for the future.
I am with you. I would take Hawes.
Old 02-07-14, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I am with you. I would take Hawes.
Only way that would work is if it worked out for both teams,this is still a business and just cause Pop might have some leverage,by no means could we get anyone from Philly just cause of affiliation. Only the Lakers have that kind of stroke.... Pau for Kwame Brown and an unknown commodity at the time Marc Gasol.
Old 02-08-14, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Per usa today sports "one rival executive mentions that the san antonio spurs and charlotte bobcats as possible destinations for turner via trade". I really hope this goes through
Old 02-08-14, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Per usa today sports "one rival executive mentions that the san antonio spurs and charlotte bobcats as possible destinations for turner via trade". I really hope this goes through
Why?

What can he do for us?

Where would he get minutes? Would he be better than Belinelli?

Would he defend as well as Danny Green?

Can he even shoot three pointers?

Everyone looks great when they get to shoot the ball a game 500 times with no consequences.
Old 02-09-14, 08:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Why?

What can he do for us?

Where would he get minutes? Would he be better than Belinelli?

Would he defend as well as Danny Green?

Can he even shoot three pointers?

Everyone looks great when they get to shoot the ball a game 500 times with no consequences.
Why?!? Let me tell you. He's on a rookie contract. He's had a tumultuous time in Philly but I think that had to do with lack of organization structure or lack of stability. He's a stud IMO. I live in Philly area and he's pretty damn good. I am with those that clamor he and Kawhi would be great together. Why did we lose in the finals? Because our guy other than TP who handles the rock and gives teams fits (Manu) wasn't himself that whole series. To me that series showed that we need more versatility on that end of the ball. Can't have 1 or 2 penetrating and have everyone else lining up for 3s ala Danny green. To me there is nobody attainable whose nearly as versatile on the offensive than turner who can be attained on the cheap since Philly would essentially lose him for nothing if not dealing with either Charlotte or us. He can run the point or be shooting guard as long as he's not shooting threes (30%). I'd have full confidence chip would work on that immediately but I think he'd be a great pickup. I'd go for two sixers (young or Hawes and turner). I see Philly wanting to retain Hawes moreso than the other two. Just my .02

- Confucius
Old 02-09-14, 10:37 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
Why?!? Let me tell you. He's on a rookie contract. He's had a tumultuous time in Philly but I think that had to do with lack of organization structure or lack of stability. He's a stud IMO. I live in Philly area and he's pretty damn good. I am with those that clamor he and Kawhi would be great together. Why did we lose in the finals? Because our guy other than TP who handles the rock and gives teams fits (Manu) wasn't himself that whole series. To me that series showed that we need more versatility on that end of the ball. Can't have 1 or 2 penetrating and have everyone else lining up for 3s ala Danny green. To me there is nobody attainable whose nearly as versatile on the offensive than turner who can be attained on the cheap since Philly would essentially lose him for nothing if not dealing with either Charlotte or us. He can run the point or be shooting guard as long as he's not shooting threes (30%). I'd have full confidence chip would work on that immediately but I think he'd be a great pickup. I'd go for two sixers (young or Hawes and turner). I see Philly wanting to retain Hawes moreso than the other two. Just my .02
Good point... He'll be good the Spurs future tag teaming with Leonard, but only if the price is right. He's younger than 90% of our guys, he'd have there best shooting coach, coach and mentors, especially Manu to learn some crafty moves. Top notch, winning organization, laid back loving city and fan base....But, only a big ala Anthony Davis type guy will be what this team will need to advance us into the next decade of winning and championships. But I'd still take him, young, fearless and young!
Old 02-09-14, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
So let's just focus on the main reason you think Turner would be good for us. You think he would bring versatility. I am guessing that means that we have another guy who can drive to the basket . . . . . In fact, I am certain that is what you mean because Turner's offensive game is anything but versatile. All he can do effectively is drive to the basket and lay it up or kick it out. He shoots a mediocre 59.5% at the hoop (compared to TP @ 68.8) At 3-9 ft he is a pathetic 36% (TP - 50%), at 10 to 15ft - 41% (TP - 46%).

So how would that "versatility" (driving to the basket is the only good thing he does on offense) play out with the Spurs. Well, he would always have to have the ball in his hands . . . .hey wait, isn't this why he couldn't play with Holiday? but I digress . . . . That means he wouldn't do well on the court with Tony Parker (just like Manu but to a much larger degree because Manu can shoot from more than 5 feet from the basket). So would he come off the bench? Hmmmmmm. I will give it to you on the "running the point." He has the 5th best assist to turnover ratio for a SF at 1.93 (But not as good as Ginobili who is at 2.02)

Maybe you mean he is versatile on Defense. Well, let's compare him to Danny Green and Kawhi in terms of scoring while they are on and off the court, and opponents scoring when they are on/off the court.

Turner's team scores 105.2 when he is on and 104.6 when he is off for a +.6
Spurs with Green score 109.4 when he is on and 108.7 when he is off for a +.6 (amazing!)
Spurs with Kawhi score 110.2 when he is on and 108.2 when he is off for an awesome +2.1

Turner's team gives up 102.7 PPG when he is on the court and only 97.2 when he is off the court for a crappy +5.5. That means when Turner is on the court his team gives up 4.9 points more than they score (5.5-.6).

Spurs with Green give up 101.9PPG when he is on the court and 102.8 when he is off for a net -.9. Green on the court means the spurs gain 1.5 points (.6-(-.9)).

Now here is the greatness of Kawhi. When he is on the court the spurs give up 99.8ppg. When he is off the court - 104.3 for a whopping -4.6. So when Kawhi plays we are up 6.7 (2.1-(-4.6)).

What does this all mean? It means you are a homer when it comes to Evan Turner.

Last edited by choppsboy; 02-09-14 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
So let's just focus on the main reason you think Turner would be good for us. You think he would bring versatility. I am guessing that means that we have another guy who can drive to the basket . . . . . In fact, I am certain that is what you mean because Turner's offensive game is anything but versatile. All he can do effectively is drive to the basket and lay it up or kick it out. He shoots a mediocre 59.5% at the hoop (compared to TP @ 68.8) At 3-9 ft he is a pathetic 36% (TP - 50%), at 10 to 15ft - 41% (TP - 46%).

So how would that "versatility" (driving to the basket is the only good thing he does on offense) play out with the Spurs. Well, he would always have to have the ball in his hands . . . .hey wait, isn't this why he couldn't play with Holiday? but I digress . . . . That means he wouldn't do well on the court with Tony Parker (just like Manu but to a much larger degree because Manu can shoot from more than 5 feet from the basket). So would he come off the bench? Hmmmmmm. I will give it to you on the "running the point." He has the 5th best assist to turnover ratio for a SF at 1.93 (But not as good as Ginobili who is at 2.02)

Maybe you mean he is versatile on Defense. Well, let's compare him to Danny Green and Kawhi in terms of scoring while they are on and off the court, and opponents scoring when they are on/off the court.

Turner's team scores 105.2 when he is on and 104.6 when he is off for a +.6
Spurs with Green score 109.4 when he is on and 108.7 when he is off for a +.6 (amazing!)
Spurs with Kawhi score 110.2 when he is on and 108.2 when he is off for an awesome +2.1

Turner's team gives up 102.7 PPG when he is on the court and only 97.2 when he is off the court for a crappy +5.5. That means when Turner is on the court his team gives up 4.9 points more than they score (5.5-.6).

Spurs with Green give up 101.9PPG when he is on the court and 102.8 when he is off for a net -.9. Green on the court means the spurs gain 1.5 points (.6-(-.9)).

Now here is the greatness of Kawhi. When he is on the court the spurs give up 99.8ppg. When he is off the court - 104.3 for a whopping -4.6. So when Kawhi plays we are up 6.7 (2.1-(-4.6)).

What does this all mean? It means you are a homer when it comes to Evan Turner.
Chopps you are going to have to start researching your opinion if you want to give it here.... no more of this throwing mud to see if it sticks..... we are going to have to nick name you Chopps "Moneyball" Boy.
Old 02-09-14, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
Chopps you are going to have to start researching your opinion if you want to give it here.... no more of this throwing mud to see if it sticks..... we are going to have to nick name you Chopps "Moneyball" Boy.
It only took about 20 minutes.

The bad part is it was just my gut feeling. I wasn't sure Turner was really that bad before I looked it all up on Hoopdata and 82games.com. I could have been completely wrong.
Old 02-10-14, 01:24 AM
SR Team Goof

Chopps, those are two righteous websites. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-14, 03:33 PM
SR Team Goof

Wow, how about that luck for Turner, from cellar dweller to front line duty. Hope he doesn't get a nose bleed. However, Granger just took the express elevator to the bottom --- sad.

Pacers trade Danny Granger to Sixers for Evan Turner

Link to article: Pacers trade Danny Granger to Sixers for Evan Turner | ProBasketballTalk
Old 02-20-14, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I love the pickup for Indy. Chemistry is a dictate thing so hopefully the immersion of Bynum and now turner doesn't screw it up for them. I'd be more worried about Bynum than turner though

- Confucius
Old 02-20-14, 04:31 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

He is a Pacer now.
Old 02-20-14, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
He is a Pacer now.

Thanks

- Confucius