News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-20-14, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

DeMarcus Cousins: "Suck my.... "

At some point midway through the second half, Cousins heard something from a fan whose seat was behind the Kings bench in the lower concourse that he clearly didn't appreciate. It's unclear exactly what was said by the fan, although one account at the time on Twitter indicated that the fan yelled at him to pass the ball. According to eyewitness accounts of two people on hand that night, the 23-year-old franchise centerpiece who was given a four-year, $62 million deal in late September reacted by allegedly grabbing his crotch and shouting a gratuitous expletive that was, to put it mildly, an inappropriate sexual suggestion.

The dozens of patrons who heard it had a raw and unforgettable reaction in synchronized shock, they swayed back in their seats as if a strong gust of wind had torn through the building. It was, in hindsight, a manifestation of the unwelcome surprise that was palpable from half a football-field away.

To be clear, this story isn't about sharing old news as much as it is exploring the Cousins narrative that has been glossed over of late. Is he truly evolving as a player and a person, or is he taking advantage of this new Kings regime that put most of its eggs in his basket and has ample reason to hide the cracks that remain in this young man's shell? The answer is as likely as complicated as Cousins himself, but the way in which he handled this tip-of-the-iceberg situation didn't speak highly of his current state.

A quick bit of necessary context: in three-plus years of dealing with Cousins, I've seen his many sides and, in this subjective opinion, have been exceedingly fair at every turn. I've done stories with him from a children's hospital that portrayed the genuine soft side of his personality. I've fielded his phone call when he needed someone in the media to make sure the details of his Feb. 12, 2011 locker-room fight with former teammate Donte Greene were accurately reported. I've sat at his old house in the Sacramento suburb of Natomas in Sept. of 2012 as he described how the birth of his son had changed his outlook on life.

In between it all, there were the suspensions and the coaching conflicts and so much negativity surrounding him that the idea of him sticking around in Sacramento seemed virtually impossible. And then, midway through this turnaround season in which he has been done such a seemingly-wonderful job as the Kings' alpha and omega, there was this ugly moment that flew in the face of everything we'd been led to believe about the supposedly older-and-wiser Cousins.

Forget the fact that the Kings never reported the incident to the NBA. Because Cousins had managed to avoid the camera that night, and because the fans who are so famously-forgiving didn't make enough noise with the organization's brass in the days that followed, this was never brought to light because of the shared interest in continued progress and perceived harmony for all involved. These are the sorts of things that can happen in a small market like Sacramento, where the relative softness of the media spotlight is perfectly suited for someone like Cousins.

Kings center DeMarcus Cousins still a perplexing player
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-14, 12:46 AM
SR Team Goof

...franchise centerpiece....!? The Kings management and their fans in Sacramento must be so proud.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-14, 11:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Another reason I am a Spur fan.
Old 01-21-14, 05:36 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
Another reason I am a Spur fan.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.