Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-14, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Report: Celtics expected to trade Rajon Rondo

Report: Celtics expected to trade Rajon Rondo
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
January 19, 2014 11:31 am ET

Rajon Rondo is back... on the trade block.

Rajon Rondo is back from ACL surgery for the Boston Celtics, so Rajon Rondo is back to being actively involved in trade rumors. The New York Daily News reports:

Rajon Rondo is finally back for the Celtics, and now the question becomes how long will he stay in Boston.

Rondo is the last blue chip from the 2008 championship team and 2010 Finals team that Celtics president Danny Ainge can convert into assets as he rebuilds the franchise. More than a few GMs around the league expect Rondo to be on the move, if not at the trading deadline next month, then maybe in June at draft time.

Via the New York Daily News.

If you're wondering why they would want to move him so soon, here are the basics. If they can get a first-round pick for him, they'll need to pull the trigger as soon as they can, before the lottery. Second, Rondo's going to be in a contract year next year, and under the new CBA, we've seen fewer deals in that final year as teams decide to just wait and try to sign players as a free agent.

It's extremely unlikely the Celtics can rebuild to a point where having Rondo is a plus in that timeframe, so moving him makes the most sense. Plus, the number one rule for any rebuild is you move your best player on a big contract. It gets you the most assets back.

That said, Rondo just came back from surgery, and Danny Ainge is notoriously patient in searching out the right deal. So expect things to be largely back to normal. A lot of rumors where Rondo's involved, but the right deal might take quite a while to come through, especially considering how many teams have their franchise point guard already. This is a process, but with Rondo back, it starts now.

Report: Celtics expected to trade Rajon Rondo - CBSSports.com
Old 01-19-14, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs need to go get him with what ever it takes ,before Dallas or Houston get him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-14, 06:54 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Spurs need to go get him with what ever it takes ,before Dallas or Houston get him.
Uhhh we have a point guard...a better one too.

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-14, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If you say so.
Old 01-19-14, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Offense puts butts in seats but Defense win championships.
Old 01-19-14, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Boston can keep their sour faced cancer we don't need him
Old 01-19-14, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

Quote:
If you say so.

Quote:
Offense puts butts in seats but Defense win championships.
I am sooooo glad the Spurs FO doesn't listen to guys like you.

If Rondo's defense is better than Tony's, it is marginally better. A bunch of steals per game means he gambles a lot.

Meanwhile, Tony Parker's offense is miles ahead of Rondo.

Is Tony Parker a better defender than we think?
Old 01-19-14, 10:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony is a great player but we all saw him run out of gas in the finals last year. P.S remember Tony he was the guy who turned his back on Ray Allen, and we all know what happened after that.
Old 01-20-14, 02:21 AM
The Master Baiter

Tony is the only true offensive superstar on the team. You get rid of him, you lose a lot more than you think. Rondo would not fill that void, even with slightly better defense.
Old 01-20-14, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

One thing everyone is overlooking is team chemistry which the Spurs have a lot of. How do you think we keep winning with over the hill players?
Old 01-20-14, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
One thing everyone is overlooking is team chemistry which the Spurs have a lot of. How do you think we keep winning with over the hill players?
So let's replace the "over the hill" players (Duncan and Ginobili), not Tony Parker. He is at the top of the hill.

I actually do not see the need to replace Duncan or Ginobili. They are on their way down the hill, but so are their salaries.
Old 01-20-14, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I know what is meant by "replace", but still...

"replace" Duncan and Manu? Are we suddenly in the running for another Hall of Fame guard and power forward that I'm not aware of?

I will be happy to get serviceable players that can keep us relevant in the playoff picture, instead of heading into draft lottery territory. But you don't replace Duncan or Manu anymore than Cleveland replaced LeBron. It's a big roster hit and you just try to tread water till you can rebuild, or get James Hardin or something crazy like that.

$
Old 01-20-14, 01:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What's one of Texas' biggest sayings, "Texas does it big!" San Antonio must continue the tradition of big men. Just my thought. Either find a draft gem, score a trade, free agent or the worst of all, suck one year and get a high draft pick. We all know Tony has some years left and Leonard will hopefully come about, but a BIG,skilled man is what the Spurs will need to continue on A.D. (After Duncan).
Old 01-21-14, 11:30 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

This whole thread is a mess, I'm not sure who is arguing for what?

Spurs will not be in the running for Rondo, you can take that to the bank!
Old 01-21-14, 01:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post

My point was team chemistry trumps any alledged upgrade . Jefferson was an upgrade in talent but messed with team chemistry.
Old 01-22-14, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit7 View Post

MoneyForNothing should have made that comment.

$