News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-17-14, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yet another loss to an elite team.

Yes there were injuries, but that isn't an excuse cause we've lost to elites with a full roster. Could this be the year the Spurs make a significant trade, or do they just figure they'll be better than these elite teams at the end of the year?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-14, 11:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I thought we out played them. They hit 4-5 threes down the stretch that normally would be low percentage. To be honest I actually think the reason we lose is because the fans at home games suck. They dont even bother showing up to the 3rd quarter, and show no energy. We are 15-3 on the road and 16-6 at home. We are the only team that is worse at home. We need to raise the ticket prices so fans take the games more seriously.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-14, 02:26 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I thought we out played them. They hit 4-5 threes down the stretch that normally would be low percentage. .
I have heard that the last how many games against this team or a few other teams? THOSE seem to just fall against the Spurs for some reason and especially when we face Portland.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-18-14, 07:20 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I thought we out played them. They hit 4-5 threes down the stretch that normally would be low percentage. To be honest I actually think the reason we lose is because the fans at home games suck. They dont even bother showing up to the 3rd quarter, and show no energy. We are 15-3 on the road and 16-6 at home. We are the only team that is worse at home. We need to raise the ticket prices so fans take the games more seriously.
I beg to differ. Portland outplayed the Spurs when they needed to. Unfortunately, this has been a pattern against the elites this season, and after so many data points, the evidence doesn't lie. It has taken years to get to this point, but finally, we have reached the intersection where the Spurs have declined enough, AND several other teams have improved enough (and in many cases have become very Spurs-like), to a point where it will require a step-change for the Spurs to overcome this gap. Either all those teams suffer permanent setbacks (injuries, god forbid) for the balance of the year, as we'll surely face them again in the playoffs, or the Spurs make an absolute, undisputed upgrade to their own roster.
Old 01-18-14, 09:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthousandaces View Post
I beg to differ. Portland outplayed the Spurs when they needed to. Unfortunately, this has been a pattern against the elites this season, and after so many data points, the evidence doesn't lie. It has taken years to get to this point, but finally, we have reached the intersection where the Spurs have declined enough, AND several other teams have improved enough (and in many cases have become very Spurs-like), to a point where it will require a step-change for the Spurs to overcome this gap. Either all those teams suffer permanent setbacks (injuries, god forbid) for the balance of the year, as we'll surely face them again in the playoffs, or the Spurs make an absolute, undisputed upgrade to their own roster.
I agree,
but I don't think it will take much of an upgrade.
Old 01-18-14, 10:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I agree,
but I don't think it will take much of an upgrade.
Malcolm Thomas for Danny Green's minutes by the time the playoffs start? Remember the Spurs did make several attempts to acquire another forward to relieve Kawhi before the start of the season but had little success. Thomas is a long shot but the Spurs are not grooming him just for kicks.

Old 01-18-14, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

All the Spurs need is better defense at the guard position and a shot blocker at the 4 or 5. Sounds easy doesn't it?
Old 01-18-14, 01:12 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
All the Spurs need is better defense at the guard position and a shot blocker at the 4 or 5. Sounds easy doesn't it?
You realize that Green is one of the top guard defenders in the league right? Not having him there to guard guys like Lillard and Matthews hurts this squad quite a bit. Watching him dribble is painful, but that's not what they pay him for, he's this team's Bowen, the key defensive cog who can do one thing on offense well. Spurs don't need a shot blocker, whenever Tiago is on floor w TD they are one of the best interior defenses in the league.

Last edited by doom32x4; 01-18-14 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 01:20 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Malcolm Thomas for Danny Green's minutes by the time the playoffs start? Remember the Spurs did make several attempts to acquire another forward to relieve Kawhi before the start of the season but had little success. Thomas is a long shot but the Spurs are not grooming him just for kicks.

Thomas is a 3/4, any minutes he would take would be Bonner's....and he can't spread the floor like Bonner, so don't hold your breath on seeing him on the playoff roster at all.

What's with all the Green hate lately? Oh wow, teams are actually guarding him and he's not shooting as well. His role is to play great defense and not screw up too much on offense, the Bowen slot. Its not like he's not playing great D on the guys that are too small for Kawhi or the other team's 2nd best perimeter guy...often pgs that Tony would have to guard otherwise...like Lillard and Westbrook. Spurs fans are a fickle bunch sometimes.
Old 01-18-14, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom32x4 View Post
You realize that Green is one of the top guard defenders in the league right? Not having him there to guard guys like Lillard and Matthews hurts this squad quite a bit. Watching him dribble is painful, but that's not what they pay him for, he's this team's Bowen, the key defensive cog who can do one thing on offense well. Spurs don't need a shot blocker, whenever Tiago is on floor w TD they are one of the best interior defenses in the league.
I am aware that Green's primary task is defense but on what do you base the statement that "Green is one of the top guard defenders in the league"?

Old 01-18-14, 02:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
If so, then how did that matter the other times we've lost to all the Elites even Houston twice?
Old 01-18-14, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

If you see Danny as a Bruce Bowen type player I think that is a nice compliment to him and that he someday earns that type of respect league wide. I too think he is a good defender. However I doubt, with nearly half of the regular season behind them, that opposing teams were typically able to capitalize on anywhere near the number of missed shots from Bowen as they have so far from Green this season with the exception of a couple of games. I tend to think that if Danny was nearing the level of Bowen's defense that we would begin hearing hate and complaints from rival players on a weekly basis.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 01-18-14 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Thomas is a 3/4, any minutes he would take would be Bonner's....and he can't spread the floor like Bonner, so don't hold your breath on seeing him on the playoff roster at all.

What's with all the Green hate lately? Oh wow, teams are actually guarding him and he's not shooting as well. His role is to play great defense and not screw up too much on offense, the Bowen slot. Its not like he's not playing great D on the guys that are too small for Kawhi or the other team's 2nd best perimeter guy...often pgs that Tony would have to guard otherwise...like Lillard and Westbrook. Spurs fans are a fickle bunch sometimes.
How do you know that Thomas can not spread the floor like Bonner? I know that I don't know because he has not yet been introduced to the NBA. However his D-League stats and videos this season say he is certainly doing just that on the D-League level.

And in my opinion, no team could ever have enough shot blockers....ever.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 01-18-14 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

“When it happens the first three times, four times, five times,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said, “then you say, ‘Okay, things happen. The schedule and…’ Now it’s eight (losses), so there has to be a tendency now.”

The eight losses Ginobili is referring to: The Spurs’ 1-8 record against the NBA’s elite teams; 1-7 against the Western Conference’s best.

The one victory (116-92) was against a Chris Paul-less Los Angeles Clippers team last month, which Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said doesn’t count.

The latest Spurs defeat came Friday at the hands of the Trail Blazers, 109-100 at the AT&T Center.

Granted the Spurs were without center Tiago Splitter, one of their best interior defenders, and guard Danny Green, a decent defender on the perimeter. But for a team not known to make excuses, the Spurs didn’t start after the loss.

“We look everything square in the eye,” said Popovich, when asked about his team’s shortcomings against the NBA’s best.

The Spurs are 15-8 against opponents with plus-.500 records, but in the games against those elite teams, the struggles show.

In nine games, the Spurs allowed an average of 108.5 points, while scoring 100.5 (Spurs are 9-8 this season when allowing 100 or more points). The rebounding battle: Opponents averaged 45.1 to the Spurs’ 38.7, and the Spurs shot 46.1 percent, but allowed a 49.5 percentage.

Asked about their struggles against the good teams, Ginobili told the Express-News: “I guess at the moment we’re not ready to beat them. They’re very talented; everybody is more athletic than us. To beat these types of teams, we’ve got to be even sharper, more precise, and at this point, we are not.”

Thing is, those same elite teams are not buying the notion that the Spurs can’t beat them. Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard was told about Ginobili’s comments, that the Spurs aren’t ready to beat the NBA’s best. He didn’t agree.

“I thought they played a good game,” Lillard said. “We made some big shots, and that’s what it came down to.

“They’re still a great team; you can’t take that away from them. We just won the game tonight.”

Lillard emphasized the word “tonight.”

San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » Ginobili: ?We?re not ready? to beat the NBA?s best
Old 01-19-14, 09:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Which officially makes this topic a legitimate recognized problem by the Spurs themselves and not just idol banter by concerned fans in a forum.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 01-19-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-19-14, 09:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Our Record means nothing.
Old 01-19-14, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Which officially makes this topic a legitimate recognized problem by the Spurs themselves and not just idol banter by concerned fans in a forum.
THANK YOU.
Old 01-19-14, 12:30 PM
Herman Cain of the board

JUST TRADE BONNER ALREADY!
Old 01-19-14, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I believe that it is just time to come down from the mountain and face reality the spurs chance to win that fifth ring for Duncan was last year. Time to rebuild.
Old 01-19-14, 01:06 PM
The Master Baiter

Believe it or not, I think Green and Splitter not being out there made a difference, and I'm not a fan of Splitter. Green, despite his bad shooting, still plays good defense and I have to think he would have had an effect on Wes Matthews. Bellineli is a great shooter, but he's not that great at individual defense. Plus, Splitter probably would have taken some of those rebounds from Aldridge and given Lopez more to think about.

Either way, this is the same as last year. They had trouble with the Clippers, the Heat, the Blazers and Memphis early in the year. We were all talking about how they just weren't athletic enough (which is true), yet they made it to the finals and should have beat the best team in the league last year. I'm not saying they can do it again, but it's not like it's impossible.
Old 01-19-14, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Believe it or not, I think Green and Splitter not being out there made a difference, and I'm not a fan of Splitter. Green, despite his bad shooting, still plays good defense and I have to think he would have had an effect on Wes Matthews. Bellineli is a great shooter, but he's not that great at individual defense. Plus, Splitter probably would have taken some of those rebounds from Aldridge and given Lopez more to think about.

Either way, this is the same as last year. They had trouble with the Clippers, the Heat, the Blazers and Memphis early in the year. We were all talking about how they just weren't athletic enough (which is true), yet they made it to the finals and should have beat the best team in the league last year. I'm not saying they can do it again, but it's not like it's impossible.
I agree with all of that but Griffin was hobbling, Westbrook was done for the season, the Blazers were not ready, nor were the Pacers and so on. The Spurs are not likely to be so lucky this year.

Old 01-19-14, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
JUST TRADE BONNER ALREADY!
Just when he is showing improvement on the defensive side?
Old 01-19-14, 11:09 PM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Spurs= older team that has to stay disciplined to their rotations when it comes to playing time during the regular season. Manu is on fire in that third quarter but because it was his usual time to come out, coaches pull him. He scored 29 points in 25 minutes, had this been a playoff game does anyone really think he would have been pulled?

The only team that worries me is Indiana, because they are deep and have been able to stay healthy. Portland is going to run out of gas at some point, they play there starters way too many minutes. I think the spurs struggles against the elite can come down to how pop manages minutes during the regular season.
Old 01-20-14, 12:50 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » Ginobili: ?We?re not ready? to beat the NBA?s best

TRUE and they recognize it now, especially Ginobili here.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-20-14, 12:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Guys don't forget SPAM.

Spurs Peak After March

Look, I don't expect the Spurs to make a repeat trip to the finals this year, I think a healthy OKC team is better than us. But even if we do, it won't have anything to do with our record in January again Portland and Houston.

If the Spurs peak at the right time, they will steamroll the Blazers down in a playoff series.

$
Old 01-20-14, 03:44 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

As a Spurs fan, the most significance I give to the Regular Season (apart from making it to the playoffs in the first place) is to get Home Court in as many rounds as possible.

Miami made the most out of that HCA last season winning both games 7.

If we have to face Miami or Indiana in the Finals I would love for the Spurs to have HCA against either of them.

If/when we meet any of the other strong Western Conference teams I would love for the Spurs to have HCA (yes, even when right now they seem to be playing better on the road).

Of course I would love for the Spurs to be winning these games against the other strong Western Conference teams but I don't think it is that big of a concern right now as long as we can stay at the top of the standings.
Old 01-20-14, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Being near the top in the Western Conference standings for home court advantage and getting "signature" wins against the top teams seem to be 2 separate issues right now if you listen to the post game interviews with Ginobili and Ayres. Its more of a morale and confidence building issue right now as opposed to the convenience of home court advantage.
Old 01-21-14, 04:11 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Being near the top in the Western Conference standings for home court advantage and getting "signature" wins against the top teams seem to be 2 separate issues right now if you listen to the post game interviews with Ginobili and Ayres. Its more of a morale and confidence building issue right now as opposed to the convenience of home court advantage.
I would have to agree on this. It is a confidence issue as of right now or lack of motivation. I remember years they were not the top seed and I thought they could take it all and beat any team in their path! I am sure they believe that too. Do they right now? No clue but time will tell.
Old 01-22-14, 09:35 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

I was just checking the 9 losses. The loss to the Knicks is probably an aberration and shouldn't be considered but I'll put it up anyway.

Loss #1: @ Portland
Loss #2: @ Oklahoma
Loss #3: vs Houston
Loss #4: vs Indiana
Loss #5: @ LA Clippers
Loss #6: vs Oklahoma
Loss #7: vs Houston
Loss #8: vs New York
Loss #9: vs Portland

Now what happened with each team the next few games after beating the Spurs.

Loss #1: Portland --> Lost next game vs Houston (then won 11 in a row)
Loss #2: Oklahoma --> Won the next 3 games
Loss #3: Houston --> Lost next 2 games (@ Utah and vs Phoenix)
Loss #4: Indiana --> Lost @ Oklahoma
Loss #5: LA Clippers --> Won the next 3 games
Loss #6: Oklahoma --> Lost vs Toronto
Loss #7: Houston --> Won next 2 games
Loss #8: New York --> Lost @ Houston
Loss #9: Portland --> Won @ Dallas (lost the next two @ Houston and Oklahoma)

Considering the good records of all those teams (save for New York) it seems like they had to spend a lot of energy to beat the Spurs and many had some kind of let down right after.

I understand the confidence-building thing but it seems those games were a lot more important for confidence-building for the other team than for the Spurs and maybe just recently the Spurs are looking at these games as needing to win some of them for confidence reasons.
So I fully expect them to beat Oklahoma tonight and will be very disappointed if they don't.
But that doesn't mean I'll loose faith in them or in their chances once the playoffs start.
Old 01-22-14, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

houston is a stud? they won against all top teams!!
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson’s face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and then say, “Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass.” Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Old 01-23-14, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

We might as well make this a sticky thread.
Old 01-23-14, 12:39 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Wouldn't really consider this last one a bad loss beyond the Leonard injury. Guarding Durant with Manu, Marco, and CoJo is a recipie for losing.
Old 01-23-14, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Father time is a MOFO.
Old 01-23-14, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
But please, first fix the title of this thread.

Do I have to keep reading the phrase "... a elite team" ?
Old 01-23-14, 11:47 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthousandaces View Post
But please, first fix the title of this thread.

Do I have to keep reading the phrase "... a elite team" ?

What do you suggest we change the title to?

Old 01-24-14, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
I do not want to step on the author's creative license but if it appeases the other thread participants or at least one in particular...

Yet another loss to a potential contender ?

Old 01-24-14, 01:39 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
It's a grammar qualm, it should say "an elite team"
Old 01-24-14, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
It's a grammar qualm, it should say "an elite team"
Yes, thank you doom32x4!
Old 01-24-14, 05:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I do not want to step on the author's creative license but if it appeases the other thread participants or at least one in particular...

Yet another loss to a potential contender ?

I dont think you need 'potential', you can just say "Yet another loss to a contender"