News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-14, 08:09 AM
SR Team Goof

Spurs Assign De Colo and Thomas to Toros -- again

Link to article: Spurs Assign De Colo and Thomas to Toros | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have assigned guard Nando De Colo and forward Malcolm Thomas to the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League.

This will mark De Coloís fifth assignment to the Toros this season. In four games in Austin, he has averaged 25.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists and 3.25 steals in 38.8 minutes. He has appeared in 11 games this season for the Spurs, averaging 1.8 points, 1.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 7.3 minutes.

The assignment will mark Thomasí fourth stint in Austin this season. In four games with the Toros, Thomas has averaged 15.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 3.25 blocks in 30.3 minutes.

Both players will be available Friday evening when the Toros host the Texas Legends at 7:30 p.m. inside the Cedar Park Center.
Austin Toros Top Texas Legends 122-97
AUSTIN, Texas -- The Austin Toros topped the Texas Legends 122-97 Friday night at Cedar Park Center. Nando De Colo on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs and Eric Dawson led the Toros in scoring with 21 points a piece.

A team effort from the Toros resulted in 31 assists to that of 15 from the Legends. Six Toros finished the game in double-digits. Malcolm Thomas, also on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, contributed 15 points as did Jonathan Simmons from the bench. Texas Legends' David Ebanks led all scorers with 24 points and six rebounds.

The Toros closed the first quarter ahead 11 points and never looked back. They led by 24 points at the half and as many as 33 points throughout. The Toros shot 50.0% from the field compared to the Legends 39.1%.

Link to Toros game story: NBA Development League: Legends at Toros Game Info - January 3, 2014
Old 01-04-14, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't think this should even be news. It seems like Pop drops these guys off in Austin when ever he feels like they can get a chance to get a game in or two. I bet they are back in a couple of days.
Old 01-04-14, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I see it as news in that if you were expecting to see either player suit up for the Spurs tonight, its not likely. However it is routine enough that it can be stated in one sentence rather than a series of paragraphs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-14, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Another way to look at it is they get some good playing time with the Toros instead of suit up time (did not play) with the Spurs. It is a win win situation.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-14, 04:48 PM
SR Team Goof

I have to agree. Playing with the Toros at least will keep them active and sharp versus growing stagnant while watching the game sitting at the end of or behind the bench. If they do get a chance to play it will be to replace an injured player or during garbage time. At least playing keeps their confidence level higher and when the Spurs call their number, they can hit the ground running. Having a D-league team just down the street in Austin is really convenient and should be taken advantage of when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 01-04-14, 10:26 PM
The Amazing!

I wonder if the players mind getting pulled back and forth? I know it would bug me. Let me play in the D-league or keep me with the A Team. De Colo seems to be killing it in the D-league so it makes me wonder why he can't get more minutes on the Spurs. Not saying he will put up the same numbers but he appears to have talent.