News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 12-28-13, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bynum on the block.....

Cavs looking to unload him. He's not making much money. Maybe a 2nd rounder, overseas guy and a player or 2?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-28-13, 11:05 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Hum... I donīt like players that have been chased away from every team.
Talented yes, but donīt see Spurs going after him.
Old 12-28-13, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I was just thinking maybe a low risk, high reward situation. And maybe being around great veteran and hall of Famer players and coach...he would prosper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-28-13, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Bad wheels and can't control his emotions. Doesn't sound at all like a Pop guy.
Old 12-28-13, 12:31 PM
SR Team Goof

Agree with McKenna above, and to top that, we would have to give up a 'proven' Spur or two to get him. Pass.
Old 12-28-13, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why?
Old 12-28-13, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would give up tiago and danny green for him. Bynum is still young and has a will to win , sure he has had injuries but I would take the chance. Tim needs that 5th ring.
Old 12-28-13, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Before I get hammered for my last post, I forgot to mention that the cavs would need to give us Jarret Jack also.
Old 12-28-13, 03:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Before I get hammered for my last post, I forgot to mention that the cavs would need to give us Jarret Jack also.

I am with you rooster. I think green is what he is and that's not what the spurs need. A package of him, De colo, bonner or splitter for Bynum and jack (which would be unrealistic to get) would be a dream
Come true for the spurs. We cannot afford to stand pat and Bynum started off bad but has look pretty damn close to his old dominant self at times. Considering it looks right now that cel is looking to dump him perhaps we can find a way to clear ourselves with bonner and send green back. If we could get Bynum and still keep Diaw and splitter, who wouldn't take a chance on that. Start Bynum and Timmay next to one another and have splitter and Diaw come off bench. That would be a beast of a team. What we need most is a backup sf though

- Confucius

Last edited by spurduncan21; 12-28-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

You guys who think that Bynum is better than Splitter must be smoking crack. Bynum is getting thrown away on one of the worst teams in the league. He can't start and be effective there why could he be effective here?

He consistently gets out played by Anderson Varejao.

Give me a break.

Last edited by choppsboy; 12-28-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 04:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Here is the latest on the guy you guys want to trade Splitter for:

Andrew Bynum's days with Cavs over?
December, 28, 2013
DEC 28
11:34
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND3TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Andrew Bynum is one of 50 players in the NBA who does not have a guaranteed contract and that was a very wise move by the Cleveland Cavaliers. On Saturday morning the team announced Bynum has been suspended indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the team."

There have been questions about Bynum's love for the game and willingness to constantly work through his balky knees and he might have finally decided it is too much.

With Bynum no longer available, Anderson Varejao will now become the starting center, with Tyler Zeller as the backup.

When the Cavs signed Bynum they guaranteed $6 million of his $12 million for this season and Saturday's events will likely lead GM Chris Grant to waive the center by Jan. 7.

The Cavs are currently $2.41 million over the salary cap, but if they waive Bynum they will be $3.83 million below it. There is a chance the Cavs could trade Bynum to a team willing to deal a small forward, who are also looking for salary cap relief.
Tags:Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum

Last edited by choppsboy; 12-28-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

You don't have to worry POP and RC will never make that trade, but just remember this Tiago can play ten more years and he will never be the offensive and defensive threat Bynum is.
Old 12-28-13, 06:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Here is the latest on the guy you guys want to trade Splitter for:

Andrew Bynum's days with Cavs over?
December, 28, 2013
DEC 28
11:34
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND3TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Andrew Bynum is one of 50 players in the NBA who does not have a guaranteed contract and that was a very wise move by the Cleveland Cavaliers. On Saturday morning the team announced Bynum has been suspended indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the team."

There have been questions about Bynum's love for the game and willingness to constantly work through his balky knees and he might have finally decided it is too much.

With Bynum no longer available, Anderson Varejao will now become the starting center, with Tyler Zeller as the backup.

When the Cavs signed Bynum they guaranteed $6 million of his $12 million for this season and Saturday's events will likely lead GM Chris Grant to waive the center by Jan. 7.

The Cavs are currently $2.41 million over the salary cap, but if they waive Bynum they will be $3.83 million below it. There is a chance the Cavs could trade Bynum to a team willing to deal a small forward, who are also looking for salary cap relief.
Tags:Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum
Playing on a crappy team with no playoff aspirations and no chance in hell to even sniff the finals would make some just not compete. Obviously it's not a money thing, cause he was only about 10 days from guaranteed money. He needs a strong veteran presence, hard nose coach,and winning atmosphere. And he won't airball a shot from 2 feet, get his shot blocked from underneath the rim and shot a ugly hook shot that'll make you vomit in your own mouth.
Old 12-28-13, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Mr.Jones I could not have said it better myself.
Old 12-28-13, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Playing on a crappy team with no playoff aspirations and no chance in hell to even sniff the finals would make some just not compete. Obviously it's not a money thing, cause he was only about 10 days from guaranteed money. He needs a strong veteran presence, hard nose coach,and winning atmosphere. And he won't airball a shot from 2 feet, get his shot blocked from underneath the rim and shot a ugly hook shot that'll make you vomit in your own mouth.
Totally the opposite of Al Jefferson who willingly took a contract with a "crappy" team and doesn't require this list of prima donna perks.

Old 12-28-13, 06:56 PM
SR Team Goof

Given that the Cavs’ record now is 10-19 and on the fast track to nowhere, dumping Bynum for future considerations is reasonable. However, if the Spurs were remotely interested in dealing for Bynum, I’m sure either or both Pop and RC would get the whole skinny from Coach Mike Brown on the his point of view. I don’t think Brown would steer Pop wrong with his assessment of Bynum in a projected Spurs environment. If the Spurs were to obtain Bynum ($12 mil) and Jack ($6.3 mil) were included, we’d have to gut our bench to make up a package for the Cavs to bite, possibly expiring contracts, ie., Diaw, Bonner. With Jack being included in the deal, his addition would make the deal a little sweeter, in my opinion.
Old 12-28-13, 07:13 PM
SR Team Goof

alh1020: Here's a later article regarding Bynum subsequent to what Chopps posted earlier

Andrew Bynum Ďmost likelyí has played his final game for Cavaliers

Details are beginning to emerge about the events that led up to Andrew Bynum being suspended indefinitely by the Cleveland Cavaliers. And while there doesnít seem to be any one incident or blow-up that led to the clubís decision, the fact seems to be that Bynum was increasingly unhappy in his surroundings.

The team will of course try to trade Bynum and his flexible contract to get some type of return on its investment, but the reality is that everyone around the league knows the particulars of the deal ó one which incentivizes Cleveland to make a decision in the next week or so regarding Bynumís status.

Only $6 million of Bynumís two year deal worth almost $25 million is guaranteed, and the rest doesnít become guaranteed unless heís on the roster past Jan. 5. Because this date is rapidly approaching, and because Bynum is believed to be incorrigible where the Cavaliers are concerned, the latest report says that Bynumís playing days in Cleveland are a thing of the past.

From Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com:

ē Bynum most likely has played his final game for the Cavs, though it is possible he will be on the roster for months and get paid. The Cavs canít suspend him without pay for the rest of the season for conduct detrimental to the team.

ē Bynum has been sulking recently because his playing time and touches have dwindled even as heís at times showed he can still be a significant contributor. During the Cavsí double-overtime loss Thursday to the Atlanta Hawks, Bynum was benched in the third quarter and never returned. He spent the rest of the night at the end of the bench and appeared to be sulking.

ē On Friday, Bynum met with coach Mike Brown, sources said. It isnít clear what happened in that meeting, but itís possible he was told the Cavs might go a different direction with the big manís minutes. Afterward, the Cavs decided to suspend Bynum and not take him on their team flight to Boston on Friday afternoon. By Saturday, the team had him on the trade block.

The part about him potentially being on the roster for months and getting paid doesnít seem right at all, since the Cavaliers can simply waive Bynum sometime during the next week and cut their losses.

It would take a sincere reconciliation before then and then another incident to cause that to happen, a scenario which seems far from likely at this stage of the proceedings.

The only question where Bynum is concerned now becomes whether another team will take a chance on him. Heís shown the ability to still be able to play, but whether the desire is there to deal with any type of adversity at this point in his career remains to be seen, and the true contenders of the league ó Miami, Indiana, and San Antonio ó are unlikely to bother with such a risk.

The second-tier teams, however, may take a much longer look at the pros and cons of giving Bynum one final shot.

Link to article: Report: Andrew Bynum Ďmost likelyí has played his final game for Cavaliers | ProBasketballTalk
Old 12-28-13, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

thanks for the info. good post.
Old 12-28-13, 08:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm glad someone agrees w/me. It's just that winning cures and solves problems, losing is just the opposite. Let's not forget, he was on a championship team. I can't remember if he got out of line during those years with LA and that squad they had. I'm also sure that injuries can be hard on you too. Give Bynum less to do off the court and more enjoyable things on the court,like always being competitive and playing for one thing.... A championship, and I believe he'd be that monster in the paint we would want. Plus we have no self-centered Kobe and wouldn't just be trying to play for the 8th seed in the East. He's a competitor and the Cavs probably didn't have but a few of those. Just the opposite of what he would see everyday in San Antonio.
Old 12-28-13, 09:04 PM
Herman Cain of the board

I'd pass on Bynum at this point. If he was waived that would be more likely. A trade?...Very unlikely addition that way IMO.
Old 12-28-13, 09:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

So I guess the thought of Bynum going to OKC, CLIPPERS ,MIAMI , ROCKETS or even DALLAS doesn't bother you?
Old 12-29-13, 01:02 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

What an idiot! If he is cheap though low risk and okay reward I guess if he is focused. He could not hurt but.......
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-29-13, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Sounds to me like the guy loves cashing the checks but doesn't really want to play basketball.
Old 12-29-13, 02:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
So I guess the thought of Bynum going to OKC, CLIPPERS ,MIAMI , ROCKETS or even DALLAS doesn't bother you?
Doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 12-29-13, 02:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
Sounds to me like the guy loves cashing the checks but doesn't really want to play basketball.
If he was chasing a check he would have waited till January 7th to get his fully guaranteed 24 million instead of 6 million.
Old 12-29-13, 07:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Wait until he gets waived and try to sign him to some type of minimum deal. Jones is right, winning and the right environment can do wonders with a players attitude. Remember this guy? (or these guys, it is kind of hard to tell if there are two people in this picture).
Old 12-29-13, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

After this season Bynum will ready to sign another huge contract after helping one of the contender win a title.
Old 12-29-13, 08:40 PM
SR Team Goof

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar basically questions Andrew Bynumís love of basketball

Link to article: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar basically questions Andrew Bynum?s love of basketball | ProBasketballTalk

When the Los Angeles Lakers first drafted Andrew Bynum they brought in Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as his personal coach ó people forget Kareem was about as fundamentally sound a center as the game had seen. He seemed a good fit with the very raw Bynum.

Kareem tried to work with Bynum, but they clashed. It was the first of a lot of clashes over the course of Bynumís young NBA career, one that has seen the highs of an NBA title and the lows of his lost season in Philadelphia.

The Cleveland Cavaliers gambled on Bynum this season and now they want to cut their losses ó Bynum has been suspended indefinitely and is being shopped around for a trade. By Jan. 7 Bynum will either be moved or just outright cut in Cleveland.

Sunday Abdul-Jabbar took to Facebook and had these comments about Bynum.

I believe Andrew has always had the potential to help a team when he puts his heart into it. He just doesnít seem to be consistent with his commitment to the game. That can lead to a lot of frustration for any team that has signed him.

When I worked with Andrew I found him to be bright & hardworking but I think he got bored with the repetitive nature of working on basketball fundamentals day in and day outÖ but they are the keys to long term success.

In my opinion Andrew is the type of person who walks to the beat of ďa different drummerĒ. So we wonít know the facts until Andrew decides to tell us what actually is the issue and shares his thoughts.

What Kareem says here echoes what you hear out of Cleveland, and out of Bynumís other NBA stops.

Bynum was suspended just after he with Coach Mike Brown amid Bynumís minutes and touches dropping. Whatever was said after that meeting Bynum got suspended after it. People around Cleveland saw Bynum as a disruptive force in an already troubled locker room, they didnít think he was working hard enough to get right.

This has always been the story with Bynum, teammates have long questioned his love of and committment to the game. He can work hard when motivated ó which is often tied to getting his next big contract ó but as Kareem notes getting good at basketball is about repetition. Stephen Curry makes 500 jump shots a day in the offseason for a reason. Bynum doesnít enjoy that kind of detail work on his game, and it shows.

But he will get another chance. He has been up and down with Cleveland this season, Bynum is seen as a backup big man and while he will have to take a healthy pay cut with his next deal there will be a next one. Big men like Bynum are in short supply and some good teams (Heat, Clippers) are the kind that could be interested in him playing a limited reserve role.
Old 12-30-13, 09:44 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
I'd pass on Bynum at this point. If he was waived that would be more likely. A trade?...Very unlikely addition that way IMO.
Agreed. But also think about who the coach is. Mike Brown. There must be some bad blood there from the Laker days. Maybe if he had a head coach who had won championships? And being an assistant on a championship team doesn't count.
Old 12-30-13, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Let's not waist our time on a guy who really doesn't want to pay basketball.

He doesn't love the game.

If we wanted attitude on our team we would have kept Stephen Jackson.
Old 12-30-13, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Wait until he gets waived and try to sign him to some type of minimum deal. Jones is right, winning and the right environment can do wonders with a players attitude. Remember this guy? (or these guys, it is kind of hard to tell if there are two people in this picture).
It is not a matter of environment. The dude just doesn't like playing basketball. He won't like it any better playing for Pop.
Old 12-30-13, 10:51 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy (Bynum on the block.....)
It is not a matter of environment. The dude just doesn't like playing basketball. He won't like it any better playing for Pop.

True true, so true. And remember, nobody is under the radar of Popís watchful eye, not even Manu, TD or TP. When you screw up on the court, Pop lays into you, whether it be in practice or in front of 17000 home fans. You have to project Ďwhat would Bynum do if he is criticized for not running the floor or didnít provide defensive support to a teammateí. Would he cower and spill his guts to the media looking for help or stand his ground and take it like a man or pack his bags and head for home? Also remember, he was in a winning environment while in LA and still was evaluated by one of the best (Jabbar) as having little desire to play the game before going to Philly. I donít know, maybe hitting the fast lane straight out of high school and the high expectations were too much for him to handle at a young age. With the hopes to go after a 5th championship before TD and Pop calling it quits, taking on an unknown project is not in the cards, IMHO. Too much drama for me and I donít want to look at the last page of the book to see how it ends --- pass.
Old 12-30-13, 10:07 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Quote:
I would give up tiago and danny green for him. Bynum is still young and has a will to win , sure he has had injuries but I would take the chance. Tim needs that 5th ring.
I'll take the player we have that is healthy, has a good attitude, knows our system, is signed for the long term, and wants to be here over a guy who is the opposite. But that's just me.
Old 12-30-13, 11:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I agree with rooster.... Wait till he signs with a real contender and that contender plays the Spurs and puts them out of the playoffs cause we won't have the bodies to deal with multiple talented bigs. But at least we have a cool redhead, a big D-league guy and oh yeah, that #22 guy with the sweet jump hook. The problem with some of us Spurs fans is that we want Mr. Perfect and he's never there, but all our tough playoff teams grab these guys that can help.
Old 12-31-13, 12:52 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I agree with rooster.... Wait till he signs with a real contender and that contender plays the Spurs and puts them out of the playoffs cause we won't have the bodies to deal with multiple talented bigs. But at least we have a cool redhead, a big D-league guy and oh yeah, that #22 guy with the sweet jump hook. The problem with some of us Spurs fans is that we want Mr. Perfect and he's never there, but all our tough playoff teams grab these guys that can help.
Preach it. Look at Michael Beasley. And if the Spurs think that they are problem, they let them go, like Stephen Jackson.
Old 12-31-13, 01:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Preach it. Look at Michael Beasley. And if the Spurs think that they are problem, they let them go, like Stephen Jackson.
Exactly. I could care less if Bynum wants to be a better player long term. It is about what he can bring to the table right now. If I'm not mistaken, Bynum doesn't earn a dime more this year unless a team signs him to a contract larger than his buyout number which means that a team would have to be more than 6M under the cap, and no contenders are. Therefore, he'll sign for veteran's minimum anywhere he goes.

I'm not exactly the most disciplined guy myself, but I'm sure I could muster all the discipline in the world to knuckle down and dedicate myself for 80 hours a week for 5 months while trying to win a championship with a team like the Spurs.
Old 12-31-13, 11:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
Exactly. I could care less if Bynum wants to be a better player long term. It is about what he can bring to the table right now. If I'm not mistaken, Bynum doesn't earn a dime more this year unless a team signs him to a contract larger than his buyout number which means that a team would have to be more than 6M under the cap, and no contenders are. Therefore, he'll sign for veteran's minimum anywhere he goes.

I'm not exactly the most disciplined guy myself, but I'm sure I could muster all the discipline in the world to knuckle down and dedicate myself for 80 hours a week for 5 months while trying to win a championship with a team like the Spurs.
Yea, because Bynum is bringing so much to the Cav's right now, and he brought so much to the Lakers. When it came to championships he always ended up injured.

He hasn't done anything in his career except get injured and pout a lot.
Old 12-31-13, 11:40 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Yea, because Bynum is bringing so much to the Cav's right now, and he brought so much to the Lakers. When it came to championships he always ended up injured.
He hasn't done anything in his career except get injured and pout a lot.
But he must sure love his life in basketball because he hasn't given back any of his salary, he keeps cashing those babies without complaint. And management keeps paying him. What a guy!!

Old 12-31-13, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bynum better start working on his Chinese. His NBA days are done
Old 01-03-14, 05:44 PM
SR Team Goof

Cavaliers looking at Monday to pick Andrew Bynum trade partner

Link to article: Report: Cavaliers looking at Monday to pick Andrew Bynum trade partner | ProBasketballTalk

Deadlines move people in the NBA.

To clear the second half of Andrew Bynumís $12.2 million off their books before the deal becomes guaranteed, a team has to waive Bynum by Jan. 7, next Tuesday.

So Monday the Cavaliers are going to trade him. Thatís the plan reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Cavs mulling a few trade scenarios for Andrew Bynum, with target of Monday to choose one. Unlikely Cavs send out significant asset w/ Bynum.
12:50 PM - 3 Jan 2014

The most discussed Bynum trade, that for Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers, appears dead based on the second half of that tweet ó the Lakers as an organization are not disposed to make a salary dump and tank for the playoffs, they would want some future potential building blocks in the deal along with the cash savings. Cleveland isnít giving up assets.

That trade also shows you what the Cavaliers hope to find in a deal ó a quality player like Gasol who can help you make a playoff push.

In theory the Cavaliers could hold on to Bynum and pay him $6.2 million to be a trade chip at the draft (teams could get him and waive the full $12.5 million off next yearís books), but I wouldnít bet on that scenario.
Old 01-03-14, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Now the Jazz are in talks about Jefferson for Bynum. Now that's desperate.