News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 12-17-13, 08:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Our Record Doesn't Mean Anything

Our record doesn't mean anything if we lose every time we play any of the other 4 or 5 good teams in the league.

I would rather be losing a few to the Bucks, Kings, and Jazz of the league than to lose every time we play a contender.

We are 5 and 5 against teams with a winning record.
Old 12-17-13, 10:03 AM
The Master Baiter

I thought this at first too, but really, the reasons why they lost are fixable, for the most part. Turnovers, 3pt defense and 3pt offense. Splitter was useless, which may be a concern.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-17-13, 10:49 AM
SR Team Goof

I have to agree. When you turn the ball over more than 20 times against any NBA team, the opponent will always be in the game. What bothered me was their big men got to the line too many times and surprisingly, made the majority of their shots. We nonchalanted our passes between players, played some pretty shabby defense and I don’t care what anybody says, the loss of Parker for the 4th quarter hurt us. At times the Spurs looked like they really didn’t want to be there, no emotion displayed. The Spurs need to concentrate on the game at hand and not dwell on the past or future. And the Spurs probably could have benefited by Splitter staying on the sick list another day.
Old 12-17-13, 12:43 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

*Singing "The Sky is Falling" by QOTSA*

Stop worrying people, hell, they lost by like 30 late last year. NBA seasons ebb and flow, even Miami looked like hot garbage for stretches in seasons past.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-17-13, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Our *performances* vs winning teams are an ominous sign.
Old 12-17-13, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

To this point, they "ebb" when they play a balanced offensive and defensive contender and "flow" when they don't. Its not a pretty pattern. I hope it ends soon. Miami has a tendency to just become complacent and lose to just any team which doesn't seem to be the pattern here so far.
Old 12-17-13, 02:40 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This is a bad trend and as always it comes down to matchups. Based on matchups, I don't think the Spurs are better that INDY or OKC. LAC and HOU present matchup problems but not quite ready to say they are better despite the recent losses. As far as MIA is concerned, you'd like to think the Spurs could capitalize on their size advantage but that didn't work out last year.

At the quarter pole, it's INDY and OKC and then everyone else.
Old 12-17-13, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

have to agree. We are spectacular against the lesser teams, but the contenders are showing that we have some gaping holes. I hope things straighten out or we won't progress very far in the post season.
Badgerland's #1 Spurs fan.

Still crazy after all these years.
Old 12-17-13, 09:27 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I do see the same kind of pattern as in the years pre-Kawhi/Danny. It seems like we play great against bad teams and mediocre against the elite teams. I think it is fixable as we haven't lost the personnel that played so mentally tough last year.
Old 12-18-13, 05:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This is something to be worried about to be sure but there are a few things to remember.

First, no one except Parker is averaging more than 30 minutes per game so far this season, and Parker is right at 30. Some of the starters play a bit more against the better teams but not a lot more.

Second, traditionally the Spurs have used the first part of the season to experiment with lineups and to giving the bench players an extended look.

Third, despite the above, the Spurs are only one loss behind the league leaders.

It seems to me that the Spurs are just coasting right now.
Old 12-18-13, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post
This is something to be worried about to be sure but there are a few things to remember.

First, no one except Parker is averaging more than 30 minutes per game so far this season, and Parker is right at 30. Some of the starters play a bit more against the better teams but not a lot more.

Second, traditionally the Spurs have used the first part of the season to experiment with lineups and to giving the bench players an extended look.

Third, despite the above, the Spurs are only one loss behind the league leaders.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 12-19-13, 01:09 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polk View Post
This is a bad trend and as always it comes down to matchups. Based on matchups, I don't think the Spurs are better that INDY or OKC. LAC and HOU present matchup problems but not quite ready to say they are better despite the recent losses. As far as MIA is concerned, you'd like to think the Spurs could capitalize on their size advantage but that didn't work out last year.

At the quarter pole, it's INDY and OKC and then everyone else.
Where is Portland at in there? They give the Spurs more problems the last 5 years than anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills0 View Post

^^^^^^^^ THIS.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-19-13, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

[quote=Rzarector7;1306468]Where is Portland at in there? They give the Spurs more problems the last 5 years than anyone.

Good catch here. Hard to believe but I completely forgot about Portland. Another bad matchup

Old 12-19-13, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The biggest problem I see, and the reason I made this post is when do the Spurs learn how to play against the other great teams in the league when we play them so infrequently? How will we know if we are improving? We can't tell that we are getting better by our record when so many teams out there suck so bad that we beat them by huge margins.

I will only be able to judge our chances at getting a title by our record against good teams, so our overall record doesn't mean anything.

I also don't like the fact that our players play so few minutes. We might think that we are saving them for the playoffs. However, in the playoffs Tony Parker was warn out . . . . Why should he have been warn out when his minutes were so spared in the regular season? Maybe it is because his body wasn't used to playing 36 minutes per game because he only played 30 minutes per game all year. I hope that as we approach the end of the season, we play our best players the same type of minutes we expect them to play in the playoffs so their bodies can get used to that.
Old 12-19-13, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
The biggest problem I see, and the reason I made this post is when do the Spurs learn how to play against the other great teams in the league when we play them so infrequently? How will we know if we are improving? We can't tell that we are getting better by our record when so many teams out there suck so bad that we beat them by huge margins.

I will only be able to judge our chances at getting a title by our record against good teams, so our overall record doesn't mean anything.

I also don't like the fact that our players play so few minutes. We might think that we are saving them for the playoffs. However, in the playoffs Tony Parker was warn out . . . . Why should he have been warn out when his minutes were so spared in the regular season? Maybe it is because his body wasn't used to playing 36 minutes per game because he only played 30 minutes per game all year. I hope that as we approach the end of the season, we play our best players the same type of minutes we expect them to play in the playoffs so their bodies can get used to that.
I wouldn't put too much weight on the teams they lost to quite yet. 3 out of their 5 losses occurred in the 3rd game of a 4 day stretch. Two of those "3-in-4 night" losses came on the 2nd end of a back-2-back. The other 2 losses (of the 5) were against OKC (who had 2 days rest to prepare for the Spurs) and Indiana (who had 3 days rest to prepare for SA). I have been betting hoops for the last twenty yrs and made a good amount of money betting on these type of scenarios. Odds are against any team in those situations.
Old 12-20-13, 08:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezsr View Post
I wouldn't put too much weight on the teams they lost to quite yet. 3 out of their 5 losses occurred in the 3rd game of a 4 day stretch. Two of those "3-in-4 night" losses came on the 2nd end of a back-2-back. The other 2 losses (of the 5) were against OKC (who had 2 days rest to prepare for the Spurs) and Indiana (who had 3 days rest to prepare for SA). I have been betting hoops for the last twenty yrs and made a good amount of money betting on these type of scenarios. Odds are against any team in those situations.
good points and more evidence that our record doesn't mean anything.
Old 12-20-13, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

our record doesn't mean anything... unless is a win without timmy, tony and manu LOLOL
Old 12-20-13, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
our record doesn't mean anything... unless is a win without timmy, tony and manu LOLOL
And against a team that is above .500 to boot!
Old 12-20-13, 10:53 PM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Isn't this the way they always play until SPAM?
I don't really pay attention to the gamescores moreso its about gameplay. They've lost some close ones but still they are just behind Portland and OKC.

Belinelli is Gary Neal with more consistent O & D. I like the Manu and Marco show and think that this 2nd go-round will be really productive.

Old 12-21-13, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

We should just go a head and trade Tim ,Manu and Tony . this team has proven that they can win without them . Come on guys you don't win championships in December. Now if they are still losing to good team in April then we can all worry.
Old 12-22-13, 12:07 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
We should just go a head and trade Tim ,Manu and Tony . this team has proven that they can win without them . Come on guys you don't win championships in December. Now if they are still losing to good team in April then we can all worry.
You're right, but it still sucks in the meantime. Now I'm wondering if the Spurs have enough horses to take down OKC. Even though I know KY didn't play.
Old 12-22-13, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Splitter is still garbage on the offensive end....missing lay-ups, airballing that crappy ass hook shot and Danny Green is looking terrible. If Green can hit 3's and score, he's useless. And all that closing out on 3 point shooters and leaving his feet is murder on our defense. But we should expect this from Tiago,it's his first big contract year. Usually what happens, get a big contract, and play like crap. Trade them both.
Old 12-22-13, 05:30 PM
Flying Monkey Wrangler

Uwe, KY didn't play because he apparently had dental surgery, I once got a dry socket after wisdom tooth surgery and was in agony for like two days. I needed a ton of vicoden to just blunt it, so I.can understand if he had something similar happen.
Old 12-23-13, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I want to expand it and say that regular season record doesn't mean anything for us. The season starts in play-offs, we all can sleep until that time.
Old 12-23-13, 11:54 AM
Been here too long to be a Spursreport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Splitter is still garbage on the offensive end....missing lay-ups, airballing that crappy ass hook shot and Danny Green is looking terrible. If Green can hit 3's and score, he's useless. And all that closing out on 3 point shooters and leaving his feet is murder on our defense. But we should expect this from Tiago,it's his first big contract year. Usually what happens, get a big contract, and play like crap. Trade them both.
I agree about Green, he has no offensive game other than shooting the three. He makes terrible passes, and I can't stand how he closes out on shooters. He is the only one that leaves his feet like that, I don't understand how pop hasn't corrected that.

Marco should get the start over him at this point. But then that takes him away from that second unit with manu and patty, and they have been playing so well together.
Old 12-23-13, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Power Rankings this week have the Spurs at #6 behind, the Thunder, Blazers, Pacers, Heat and Clippers and just ahead of the Suns and Rockets.

I have to say that I agree with it. The teams above them have proven they can put the Spurs away. The Spurs still have 55 regular season games to somehow to turn that around but there are no signs of it as yet.
Old 12-23-13, 03:26 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
I want to expand it and say that regular season record doesn't mean anything for us. The season starts in play-offs, we all can sleep until that time.
As much as I would like to agree with that, unfortunately I think last year is a good example of why the regular season does matter.
I don't think the actual record matters as much as Home Court does. There is no way to know what would have happened in a different scenario but I'm pretty sure if you ask any player from the Spurs or the Pacers they would have loved to play that Game 7 at home against the Heat.