News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 12-12-13, 08:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Don't Shoot Jeff?

Jeff Ayres got the nod to start on the 2 recent road games against weak opponents. In the Milwaukee game, he logged the second most minutes on the team but never attempted a shot. Do you think that the coaches may have instructed him not to shoot? Last week, during the practice workout interviews, the bigs were going through drills behind the interviewees and Ayes shot attempts looked abysmal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-12-13, 09:25 AM
SR Team Goof

I'm thinking his main option is to play defense, bang the boards and go after the ball. His second option, while on offense, if you find an open man, get it to him. Otherwise, if you are under the basket uncontested, you have the green light to tear the rim off but only after you have two hand dunked the ball.
Old 12-12-13, 09:30 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Diaw was driving me crazy last year with his unwillingness to shoot. He did other things well, but the opponent's defense had an advantage since they knew hey could back off him. Now the shot is back.

Maybe Ayres is going through the same thing. I'm hoping that he's working with Chip (who can apparently turn a tree stump into a decent shooter) and that he'll get more aggressive by the end of the season.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about this guy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-12-13, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i dont have any trouble with ayres not attempting a single shot....

if he became denis rodman II with good attitude...
Old 12-12-13, 01:19 PM
SR Team Goof

Chip Engelland is one coach I sincerely hope RC and the Spurs management gurus make an extended effort to keep if other NBA teams try to pry him away from San Antonio. I got no problem with Ayres and his game. I like him because he seems to be sprinting down court the majority of times, kind of reminds me of Pete ‘Charley Hustle’ Rose who always ran to first base on walks. If Chip is working with Ayres, I have no doubt Ayres will be exhibiting his training efforts whenever he gets in the open. Playing time, experience and a green light from Pop are good factors in bolstering confidence in a player’s game. And his performance against the Bucks should help his confidence level nicely, with 10 boards in 25 mins of play. The longer Splitter sits, the more playing time Ayres and Baynes will see.
Old 12-13-13, 08:48 PM
SpursReport Rookie

According to a report I read (I think it was in the Express), Ayres was told his job was to rebound and set screens. He did both, in bunches.
Old 12-14-13, 07:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I'm thinking his main option is to play defense, bang the boards and go after the ball. His second option, while on offense, if you find an open man, get it to him. Otherwise, if you are under the basket uncontested, you have the green light to tear the rim off but only after you have two hand dunked the ball.
That's a good description of how he played in the T-Pups game. He was, however, stuck with the ball as the shot was expiring and had to take a shot which was a wide open 10 footer. He missed.

Old 12-16-13, 03:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
That's a good description of how he played in the T-Pups game. He was, however, stuck with the ball as the shot was expiring and had to take a shot which was a wide open 10 footer. He missed.

Old 12-16-13, 08:25 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Just looked it up and Ayres is tied with Al Horford at #48 in the league for rebounds per 48 minutes (12.1).