SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs bring back Malcolm Thomas (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120713-spurs-bring-back-malcolm-thomas.html)

HeloteSpurs 12-01-13 10:22 PM

Spurs bring back Malcolm Thomas

I like this guy, he has chemistry with our beloved Kawhi Leonard being his teammate at San Diego State University and he's pretty athletic and active. He does need to gain some muscle to have a competing body for an NBA big but I think we could get more out of him them Nando De Colo.

What do you guys think?

Marc Stein Blog - ESPN

Spurd_On 12-01-13 10:54 PM

I think 10-day contract until Diaw feels better.

spurscrazed 12-02-13 06:23 AM

I like Malcolm Thomas too. Hope that would help inspire Leonard play better.
Let's hope Diaw won't be out for long.
Get Well Diaw!

alh1020 12-02-13 10:15 AM

alh1020: Here's some added info on his past performance, both NBA and D-league. With both Baynes and DeColo headed to Austin, Thomas might be in uniform tonight against the Hawks:

The Spurs are on the verge of bringing back former San Diego State power forward Malcolm Thomas back to San Antonio, according to ESPN.com senior reporter Marc Stein.

Stein posted a series of Tweets on Sunday evening after Thomas was pulled from his game with the Los Angeles D-Fenders in the NBA Developmental League.

The 6-9, 225-pound Thomas had a cup of coffee with the Spurs in 2011-12, scoring one point in three appearances comprising 15 minutes. He had brief stints with Golden State and Chicago last season, during which he averaged 1.3 points in 12 total appearances.

Thomas has torn it up during the young D-League season with averages of 33.5 points and 15.5 rebounds while shooting 62.2 percent in two games.

His pickup would seem to be insurance after reserve forward Boris Diaw left Saturday’s loss to Houston with a dislocated middle left finger. No timetable or prognosis has been provided for his return. Diaw has been a central figure on a Spurs bench that has been one of the keys to their success this season.

Link to article: San Antonio Spurs News, Scores, Stats & Analysis – Spurs Nation » Report: Spurs to pick up Thomas from D-League

Eddy from Austin 12-02-13 10:59 AM

malcolm-thomas-summer-league-record with 22 rebounds
Malcolm Thomas Sets Summer League Record | NBA.com

alh1020 12-02-13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1306142)
malcolm-thomas-summer-league-record with 22 rebounds
Malcolm Thomas Sets Summer League Record | NBA.com

During that interview with Craig Sager, it seems Thomas has the right mindset, playing defense. And having another guy who goes after the ball on the boards is another necessity that the Spurs need. I hope it works out well for Thomas; it might not be so bad having a duo out of San Diego State wearing the silver and black together.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

Spurd_On 12-02-13 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1306134)
I think 10-day contract until Diaw feels better.

I retract this comment and say I just don't know. It appears, after some reading, that he has challenged himself to overcome his weaknesses (other than bulk) and now shows signs of having done so. No tellin' what's on Pop's mind right now. SF?, PF?, 10-day sub?

alh1020 12-02-13 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1306152)
I retract this comment and say I just don't know. It appears, after some reading, that he has challenged himself to overcome his weaknesses (other than bulk) and now shows signs of having done so. No tellin' what's on Pop's mind right now. SF?, PF?, 10-day sub?

Well, Pop has at least 10 days to make up his mind, but the Spurs definitely have Thomas on their radar. I really hope that lightning strikes twice for the Spurs and he turns out to be the surprise that Kawhi has been.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-03-13 06:54 PM

there are no 10 day contracts right now

alh1020 12-03-13 07:42 PM

With Diaw playing in last night's game against Atlanta and DeColo sitting in the stands behind the bench as well, I would have to assume they won't be heading to Austin as was said before and that any dealings with Thomas were dropped, even though I haven't seen anything to contrary. The shell game is on.

Eddy from Austin 12-03-13 08:58 PM

It's official

Eddy from Austin 12-03-13 09:36 PM

Malcolm Thomas' D-League debut: 36 points and 18 rebounds

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y8sYHjrqUbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

spurscrazed 12-04-13 12:33 AM

Cool. Thomas could do so much better here. And Kawhi Leonard could even play better that is HUGE! Imagine the possibilities! :thumb

Great to see Diaw play vs. Atlanta.
His dislocated finer is not going to stop such Big Savvy Dog Diaw! :D

alh1020 12-04-13 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1306186)

Cool!! Welcome back, Malcolm. We hope to see you in San Antonio sometime soon.

Spurd_On 12-04-13 10:29 AM

Some garbage minutes against Milwaukee to get him accustomed next week wouldn't surprise me.

tenthousandaces 12-05-13 06:16 PM

Thomas >Baynes?
Thomas>Ayers?
:-)

Spurd_On 12-05-13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1306243)
Thomas >Baynes?
Thomas>Ayers?
:-)

He brings a different set of talents that maybe Pop wants in certain situations. Baynes and Ayres bring some beef but neither has the leaping ability, quickness or outside shot of Thomas.

Spurd_On 12-12-13 08:38 AM

I don't understand what Thomas's contract might be or the Spurs intentions. It was announced that he was signed by the Spurs yet he appears on the Toros roster and not the Spurs.