SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Couple of good things about the loss... (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120708-couple-good-things-about-loss.html)

esparzar1 11-27-13 10:35 PM

Couple of good things about the loss...

This was easily the worst game that the spurs have played this year. Also, kawhi for the most part match Durant all night. Can't get too upset. We had to lose sometime....

Spurd_On 11-28-13 08:27 AM

Unless I missed something, the Spurs did well in all categories except putting the ball through the cylinder. In part I think that comes from a team playing excellent defense against them and its a matter of getting used to teams that play that way.

alh1020 11-28-13 11:25 AM

Have to agree. We were getting decent shots that weren’t falling and were hitting the offensive boards, which I liked, and sometimes getting 2-3 shots on goal and missing shots in the lane. Free throws were another problem. But there was one stat that was deficient and that was with assists, which was just below 20 and again, could also be attributed to good defense by OKC. All in all, we were playing on the road against a playoff team who hasn't lost at home this year, one of the stronger in the league and came out losing by just a few points. It was a good test; I’m not disappointed. We regroup, stay healthy and press forward. Bring ‘em on. Go Spurs.

rooster 11-28-13 01:19 PM

Agree with most of that. But Danny Green should not be aloud to play on the road, He is a home role player that is about it.

Spurd_On 11-28-13 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1306110)
Have to agree. We were getting decent shots that werenít falling and were hitting the offensive boards, which I liked, and sometimes getting 2-3 shots on goal and missing shots in the lane. Free throws were another problem. But there was one stat that was deficient and that was with assists, which was just below 20 and again, could also be attributed to good defense by OKC. All in all, we were playing on the road against a playoff team who hasn't lost at home this year, one of the stronger in the league and came out losing by just a few points. It was a good test; Iím not disappointed. We regroup, stay healthy and press forward. Bring Ďem on. Go Spurs.

Racking up assists is dependent on the ball eventually going through the hoop which wasn't happening.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: newpost_quote -->

alh1020 11-28-13 05:38 PM

Can't argue with you there. Shoot 39% against a team like OKC and you don't see many wins. And it seems every time someone has a career game against the Spurs, he's usually the reason the opponent stays in the game and quite a few times, beat the Spurs.

Here's some info from NBA.com:

The story of the night though was the play of Jackson, who tied a career high with 23 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Lamb added 12 on 5-for-7. The OKC defense was stout throughout, holding the Spurs to just 39.1 percent shooting, a season-low.

QUOTABLE: "Reggie Jackson kicked our [expletive] and we didn't shoot the ball very well that's for sure. I thought a pretty good percentage of our (3s) were hurried or frazzled. I didn't like our shot selection." --Spurs coach Gregg Popovich

QUOTABLE II: "Our defense was outstanding. They're a hard team to guard but we made them miss shots and that was the key to the game." --Thunder coach Scott Brooks

THE STAT: The Thunder beat the Spurs at their own game, playing better defense (Spurs shot 39.1 percent, OKC shot 46.4 percent) sharing the ball better (OKC had 24 assists to 19 for the Spurs). The Thunder held their own down low (Spurs with 44 paint points, OKC with 40), too.

TURNING POINT: A big third quarter for OKC. The Thunder outscored the Spurs 25-15, while holding San Antonio to just 25 percent shooting overall (5-for-20) and 20 percent on 3-pointers (1-for-5) in the quarter. Serge Ibaka was huge for the Thunder in the third too, scoring 10 of his 17 points and pulling down five of his 11 rebounds in those 12 minutes. That big third quarter turned a 46-43 Spurs lead into a 68-61 Thunder advantage.

QUOTABLE III: "We hit shots in the third quarter but it's not about offense with us, we really locked in on defense. We played tough, we played physical and I like how we're playing, we're scoring off our defense." -- Scott Brooks

HOT: Jackson was 4-for-4 (nine points) in the first five minutes of the second quarter...through three quarters Lamb was 5-for-6 (2-for-2 on 3s) 12 points...Ibaka was 5-for-8 in the third quarter...Jackson was 6-for-7 (14 points) in the fourth quarter.

NOT: Over the first eight minutes the Spurs shot just 28.6 percent (6-for-21)...OKC wasn't much better at 33.3 percent (5-for-15)...Westbrook missed 12 of his first 13 shots...Durant missed seven of his first 10...Leonard and Parker were a combined 0-for-5 in the fourth quarter.

Guapo 11-30-13 05:41 AM

I'm sorry, but Manu killed us with some early mistakes that could have been avoided had it not been for his non-fundamental, "playing rushed" stuff. It reminded me of the Manu we saw against Miami, frankly.

The Spurs were also caught off guard, by the hot hand and play of Reggie Jackson. Let's hope it doesn't happen again when we play them.