SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Kick a guy in the face, you get ejected (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/120664-kick-guy-face-you-get-ejected.html)

alh1020 11-19-13 07:52 AM

Kick a guy in the face, you get ejected
 
<hr style="color:#B1B1B1; background-color:#B1B1B1" size="1"> <iframe width="620" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/flz-uF9ldls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That’s what happened with Memphis’ Tony Allen, arguably the best perimeter defender in the league — Chris Paul was driving the lane, Tony Allen leapt and got caught in the air, threw his leg out and it kicked CP3 right across the face. At first glance the referees called it a Flagrant 1 but after review upgraded it to a Flagrant 2 and ejected Allen (who had already apologized to Paul).

Was it intentional? No. Still, he kicked a guy in the face and for my money the referees got it right — that had to be an ejection. Just had to be. That said, because of the lack of intent one would hope the league would not fine or add to the punishment here.

Link to article: Memphis’ Tony Allen ejected for kick to Chris Paul’s face (VIDEO) | ProBasketballTalk

Eddy from Austin 11-19-13 10:07 AM

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7632/jhd.gif

JuanCaca 11-19-13 12:48 PM

that bowen kick is as famous as any bruce lee or van damme... and more lethal than chuck norris one! lolol

Uwe Blab 11-19-13 02:51 PM

I don't know, I just don't see how it was a flagrant at all.

grizzly_bexar 11-19-13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1305878)
I don't know, I just don't see how it was a flagrant at all.

I agree. I mean, I wouldn't really argue harshly against it being called a flagrant, but it seems like they have specific rules about types of contact that warrant a flagrant and that really wasn't as bad as most stuff that isn't called flagrant.

It was in some ways similar to Bowens play in that gif above. More and being a spaz than actually trying to hurt somebody.

alh1020 11-19-13 05:37 PM

Back when I played ball, I would block passes into the post or lane by raising my leg as well, but my opponents were usually stationary and not driving the lane; that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this clip.

Kager 11-19-13 07:29 PM

We solved how to stop Chris Paul flopping.... actually make contact!

Flagrant doesn't have to mean you tried to hurt, it just means that you did something intentional or stupid to endanger someone else..... jumping in the air and extending your leg out horizontally at head height matches that.

There is no reason for him to logically do that except he didn't care about anyone else's welfare he was going to stop it by any means possible, he should never be allowed to do that and so I think he got off lightly.

He could have broken multiple parts of Cliff's face and then if he is out for a couple of weeks that is 6 games at least, Allen was lucky he didn't get more.

And BTW Bruce should have got time for that, he has definitely got the Kudos for it.

clovisnmspurfan 11-19-13 08:47 PM

Wow! I didn't know Bruce could jump that high.

b1gdon 11-20-13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1305882)
We solved how to stop Chris Paul flopping.... actually make contact!

Flagrant doesn't have to mean you tried to hurt, it just means that you did something intentional or stupid to endanger someone else..... jumping in the air and extending your leg out horizontally at head height matches that.

There is no reason for him to logically do that except he didn't care about anyone else's welfare he was going to stop it by any means possible, he should never be allowed to do that and so I think he got off lightly.

He could have broken multiple parts of Cliff's face and then if he is out for a couple of weeks that is 6 games at least, Allen was lucky he didn't get more.

And BTW Bruce should have got time for that, he has definitely got the Kudos for it.

Let's not get too carried away. If the human face was that delicate MMA and boxing couldn't exist and most of us would never have made it out of grade school. Even with a fracture most players would be able to come back almost immediately with a mask albeit in a fair amount of pain. Flagrant 2 ejection is the right call. Reckless and dangerous but not malicious.

Uwe Blab 11-20-13 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1305882)
We solved how to stop Chris Paul flopping.... actually make contact!

Flagrant doesn't have to mean you tried to hurt, it just means that you did something intentional or stupid to endanger someone else..... jumping in the air and extending your leg out horizontally at head height matches that.

There is no reason for him to logically do that except he didn't care about anyone else's welfare he was going to stop it by any means possible, he should never be allowed to do that and so I think he got off lightly.

He could have broken multiple parts of Cliff's face and then if he is out for a couple of weeks that is 6 games at least, Allen was lucky he didn't get more.

And BTW Bruce should have got time for that, he has definitely got the Kudos for it.

If you watch his right hand, he brings the ball up like he's about to pass the ball to his left then brings the ball back in. Allen jumped in reaction to what he thought was a pass coming his way. You're also talking about a guy who gets 12 assists a game, so you expect him to pass first. I don't know, maybe he didn't have to kick his leg out, but even Paul didn't think it was intentional.

Kager 11-20-13 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1305892)
If you watch his right hand, he brings the ball up like he's about to pass the ball to his left then brings the ball back in. Allen jumped in reaction to what he thought was a pass coming his way. You're also talking about a guy who gets 12 assists a game, so you expect him to pass first. I don't know, maybe he didn't have to kick his leg out, but even Paul didn't think it was intentional.

Look partially agree with both of you, I don't necessarily think Allen was trying to hurt Paul (battle of first name last names) I more think that if someone is not discouraged enough to not kick out his leg horizontally in a congested lane then he will do it again.

MMA you are ready for hits and tensing for them but you shouldn't have to be ready for an accidental spin kick to the head when driving in the lane.

He was doing whatever he could to stop Paul but that shouldn't include kicking your leg out without regard for the result of that.

Dulce 11-20-13 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1305882)
We solved how to stop Chris Paul flopping.... actually make contact!


:applause

SPURSGIRL4Life 11-21-13 01:41 AM

If anything Allen is just a victim of circumstance. If only Chris Paul were taller the face kick wouldn't be a face kick at all. Really Allen was putting himself more in jeopardy by leaving the floor in that manner. A flagrant 1 more than sufficed in this situation. Ejecting Allen was over kill. I love the conversation regarding calls. Of course it's all subjective but there has to be some consistency in calls. At least one would think!??!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0