News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-13, 09:04 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Friday Night Warriors at Spurs Game Thread (7:30 pm)

Fri, Nov 8
7:30 CT

AT&T Center - San Antonio, Texas

Golden State
Warriors
(4-1)

at

San Antonio
Spurs
(4-1)

Warriors-Spurs Preview
By JORDAN GARRETSON, Associated Press Last Updated: Thu, Nov 7 4:50 ET

The Golden State Warriors haven't won a regular-season game in San Antonio in nearly 17 years.

With Stephen Curry's playing status in jeopardy for Friday night's tilt against the Spurs, that drought could continue.

The Warriors (4-1) have won back-to-back road games by a combined 33 points following a 106-93 victory at Minnesota on Wednesday, though they finished without Curry. The sharpshooter, who left in the third quarter, has been diagnosed with a left ankle bone bruise and is considered day-to-day.

"Just a tough, unfortunate injury, but I've got guys I believe in and our versatility showed," coach Mark Jackson said. "Hopefully Steph will be fine and we continue to march on."

Curry has had ankle issues throughout his career, missing as many as 40 games two seasons ago. The Warriors are 16-38 without Curry since he entered the league and 0-4 against the Spurs.

But even with Curry, Golden State hasn't been able to win in San Antonio. The Warriors have dropped 29 consecutive regular-season games there - the league's longest active road losing streak against a single opponent. Curry's 12.6 career scoring average in San Antonio is his lowest in any city.

Golden State ended a 16-game slide in the series overall last season as each team won two home meetings. The Warriors even knocked off the Spurs at the AT&T Center in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals, but they still haven't won a regular-season game in San Antonio since a 108-94 victory Feb. 14, 1997, when Tim Duncan was a senior at Wake Forest.

Klay Thompson stepped up in Curry's absence Wednesday, scoring 19 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter. Curry scored five points on 2-for-8 shooting in 24 minutes.

"It just shows that we're not all about Steph," said Thompson, actually ahead of Curry for the team lead with 24.0 points per game. "Steph's one of the best players in the NBA, but sometimes people think we rely on him too much. And it's not fair to him and we're a deep team this year."

The Warriors seemed to prove that, at least for one night, as they received 22 points and 15 rebounds from David Lee while Andre Iguodala scored 20. Harrison Barnes had 14 points after missing the first four games due to left toe inflammation.

The Spurs (4-1) relied on Tony Parker late in a 99-96 home victory over Phoenix on Wednesday, one night after a 115-105 win in Denver. The Suns held a one-point edge with one minute remaining, but Parker scored 15 of San Antonio's final 16 points, including the go-ahead basket.

Parker, who finished with 20 points, leads the team in scoring (19.6 ppg), assists (7.2 apg) and minutes (33.0 mpg). He averaged 22.3 points in eight games against the Warriors last season, including the playoffs.

"Tony is someone we depend on," coach Gregg Popovich said. "He plays a lot of minutes. We expect him to be able to give us that offense, distribute the ball and play good `D' night after night after night. He's been doing it for a long time now."

Duncan averaged 22.7 points on 53.1 percent shooting with 12.0 rebounds and 3.7 blocks in three regular-season contests versus Golden State in 2012-13. The Spurs are 50-9 against the Warriors in the regular season since he entered the league.

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 11-08-13 at 09:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-13, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm hoping Curry plays because, in my opinion, the Spurs need as much familiarity with how to play this team as possible, as I expect them to make it to the Western Conference Finals.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-13, 01:45 PM
SR Team Goof

As funny as it may seem, OKC doesn't scare me anymore because we know what to expect from them. However, Golden State has been improving year after year and they got a taste of advancing into the playoffs. And they have a young deep team, with a capable coach, and deadly shooters to advance their cause. They are the one team in the West that gives me pause. Yes, they do scare me and I'll be at the AT&T Center to watch first hand how the Spurs plan to handle that charge. Go Spurs Go!!!
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 11-08-13, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Should be a great game. Warriors are fun to watch and have kicked it up a notch. Jackson has them playing very well. A home loss wouldn't surprise me.
Old 11-08-13, 03:36 PM
The Master Baiter

Should be a good game. I'm not worried about them in the long term, but they are entertaining. Curry's injured and will pretty much always be injured. Spurs win by 7. KY has a great game.
Old 11-08-13, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Warrior 105
Spurs 111
Old 11-08-13, 07:45 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Old 11-08-13, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Final Score: GSW 76 - Spurs 74
Old 11-08-13, 11:28 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
LOL.........
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 11-08-13, 11:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

That sure wasn't the game I expected to see. Great, swarming defense at the end from both team. But when the most noteworthy Spur player is Baynes, ya know it's a weird night.
Old 11-09-13, 12:33 AM
SR Team Goof

When you shoot in the neighborhood of 39% against a high caliber playoff team, you would expect to get blown away; not win by the hair on your chinny chin chin. But as McKenna said above, it was a weird night. I was glad to see Baynes get some added PT and TD got some rest in return – Baynes banged well, kept the ball active around the rim and was tagged for some pretty petty fouls, particularly the one against O’Neal. The crowd at the AT&T Center really didn’t appreciate O’Neal at all. Who cares what the score was as long as they chalk up another ‘W’ for the Spurs.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Old 11-09-13, 08:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

It looked like Spurs basketball being played against Spurs basketball. I guess this is the end result when that happens. I'm still disappointed Curry wasn't in the mix.
Old 11-09-13, 10:35 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:

Old 11-09-13, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
LOL.........

Quote:

Sorry, must have had too much too drink last night.

GSW 74 - Spurs 76
Old 11-09-13, 01:07 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Too many Dos Equis